MPH 2021 Canada

1 minute ago, oxla said:

Yeah, I agree as well. It’s hard to figure everything out when everything with Waterloo is so uncertain, especially since in my opinion, it is one of the most affordable programs. 

Thanks what is the fee expenses there as compared to other school ?

Just now, my3420 said:

Oh ok...but what about placement rate ?

what do you mean placement rate? the tuition is estimated 3k each semester. you pay for practicum too but (part time price). 

to be specific: 

you would do a foundation course in august for two weeks and the practicum at the end so last semester both of these will be combined and charged as part time tuition but rest of semesters will be full time tuition.

program is 20 months and 4 months practicum. 

1 minute ago, minniexo_ said:

what do you mean placement rate? the tuition is estimated 3k each semester. you pay for practicum too but (part time price). 

to be specific: 

you would do a foundation course in august for two weeks and the practicum at the end so last semester both of these will be combined and charged as part time tuition but rest of semesters will be full time tuition.

program is 20 months and 4 months practicum. 

Ohkkk...But as the course is online do you think it to be at par with other on campus prog. ????

8 minutes ago, my3420 said:

They had internship in uni only...but were not given further employment and practicum was unpaid...I would say keep this as your last option...Yes as somebody mentioned you meet wide range of people for networking but that also depend on you like how active your are etc etc actual course is just 8 months super short compressed and 4 months practicum(Unpaid) so you can imagine Rome was not built in a day but they say they can??.......overall not worth spending so much on this......instead go for clinical research it will give you almost same job as this would get you after spending 40k dollars....choices are always yours..best of luck.

Sorry to hear about your friends experiences at Western's MPH. I am not dismissing your concerns or your opinions, but I will outright respectfully disagree with your blanketed statement. 

I will disclaim that my experience is biased as I am an alumni of the program, however my year had decent job placements post grad, with ~10 folks heading to medical school/dental school. Around 50% of our practicums were paid as well or received a stipend. So I am just providing an "insiders" perspective. 

For my personal experience, I chose this program because I wanted to do a 1 year program and enter the workforce as soon as possible. I was fortunate to find a very well paying job post MPH grad with no concerns. The networks I've made during my practicum and at the school has been quite helpful for me to date. But again, this is just an anecdotal story. 

Just now, my3420 said:

Ohkkk...But as the course is online do you think it to be at par with other on campus prog. ????

what do you mean par? i think they mentioned some classes can be in person but when asked its only the epi class or biostats lol 

Just now, okiedokieartichoke said:

Sorry to hear about your friends experiences at Western's MPH. I am not dismissing your concerns or your opinions, but I will outright respectfully disagree with your blanketed statement. 

I will disclaim that my experience is biased as I am an alumni of the program, however my year had decent job placements post grad, with ~10 folks heading to medical school/dental school. Around 50% of our practicums were paid as well or received a stipend. So I am just providing an "insiders" perspective. 

For my personal experience, I chose this program because I wanted to do a 1 year program and enter the workforce as soon as possible. I was fortunate to find a very well paying job post MPH grad with no concerns. The networks I've made during my practicum and at the school has been quite helpful for me to date. But again, this is just an anecdotal story. 

to add on... some individuals I spoke to also claimed that some of their practicum was paid. 

1 minute ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

Sure...We all come to know about different experiences thats why we are here...at the end its your pocket which will shell out so better take decisions carefully and not repent later....Though I believe Amardeep thind the program director is good person but I have some serious doubts about this program so shared it on this platform...decision is always yours...

1 minute ago, minniexo_ said:

to add on... some individuals I spoke to also claimed that some of their practicum was paid. 

Lol yup, we 1000% had paid practicums, however some 'last minute' placements were unpaid. I would say a good 60% of the advertised internal placements were paid. Only the "smaller" ones or some specific organizations were unpaid. Western has a close knit relationship with PHAC that allowed less competitive practicum placements at Government of Canada. Those positions were all paid, and a few stayed at the organization post practicum and graduation. They are still working with PHAC or the Government of Canada to this day. 

Just now, okiedokieartichoke said:

Lol yup, we 1000% had paid practicums, however some 'last minute' placements were unpaid. I would say a good 60% of the advertised internal placements were paid. Only the "smaller" ones or some specific organizations were unpaid. Western has a close knit relationship with PHAC that allowed less competitive practicum placements at Government of Canada. Those positions were all paid, and a few stayed at the organization post practicum and graduation. They are still working with PHAC or the Government of Canada to this day. 

I have also spoke to Courtney (person who will help and arrange practicum) in the WESTERN MPH program.. who is also very nice. I'm sure if you highlight you want a paid job for sure instead of a non-paid practicum but are willing to be lenient with where and your interest. She can help. 

1 minute ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

Amandeep also on their webinar of Western highlighted they have an internal pool list of jobs that are only offered to Western MPH students. 

4 minutes ago, my3420 said:

Sure...We all come to know about different experiences thats why we are here...at the end its your pocket which will shell out so better take decisions carefully and not repent later....Though I believe Amardeep thind the program director is good person but I have some serious doubts about this program so shared it on this platform...decision is always yours...

For sure, it's your prerogative at the end of the day. I mean, the 1 year program made sense as the ROI paid off exceedingly well in my case (and a few others in my cohort as well). Yes, $36k price tag is steep, but paying that for the year wasn't bad as my job I got post grad was able to pay it off, and I was able to enter the workforce a year early in comparison to other MPHers who started the same year I did. That's fair you have doubts, but the program is CEPH accredited, so it meets the rigor and standards of all other accredited MPH programs in the USA/Canada. 

But again, you are correct, it is ultimately your decision, and you must know what is best in your circumstance. However saying there are doubts about the program, when this is a few of the CEPH accredited programs in Canada is a very lowbrow comment. Just my two cents. 

11 minutes ago, my3420 said:

Online programs are viewed as just as reputable as in person programs if they come from reputable universities, like Waterloo is. Many universities in Canada and around the world have renowned online programs. Johns Hopkins has an online program that is very competitive, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine is one of the highest ranked public health schools in the world and it's program is well-known for its distance learning options. The world is shifting toward online professional graduate programs including MPH. If anything, Waterloo is ahead of the game because thats the direction these programs are going. 

At the end of the program, it is not specified on your degree that it was an online program. Because it does not matter. 

39 minutes ago, my3420 said:

They had internship in uni only...but were not given further employment and practicum was unpaid...I would say keep this as your last option...Yes as somebody mentioned you meet wide range of people for networking but that also depend on you like how active your are etc etc actual course is just 8 months super short compressed and 4 months practicum(Unpaid) so you can imagine Rome was not built in a day but they say they can??.......overall not worth spending so much on this......instead go for clinical research it will give you almost same job as this would get you after spending 40k dollars....choices are always yours..best of luck.

lol unless you don't want to do clinical research? The amount of public health careers that have nothing to do with clinical settings is vast. To each their own, but I think that your recommendation is subjective and doesn't widely apply here. 

4 minutes ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

For sure, it's your prerogative at the end of the day. I mean, the 1 year program made sense as the ROI paid off exceedingly well in my case (and a few others in my cohort as well). Yes, $36k price tag is steep, but paying that for the year wasn't bad as my job I got post grad was able to pay it off, and I was able to enter the workforce a year early in comparison to other MPHers who started the same year I did. That's fair you have doubts, but the program is CEPH accredited, so it meets the rigor and standards of all other accredited MPH programs in the USA/Canada. 

But again, you are correct, it is ultimately your decision, and you must know what is best in your circumstance. However saying there are doubts about the program, when this is a few of the CEPH accredited programs in Canada is a very lowbrow comment. Just my two cents. 

Thats nice!!!! that you got a stupendous job after this prog....and thanks for taking out time from your posh job and coming to this forum for promoting UWO here...To other guys before making decision.... best is to get in touch with people who have open to work titles on their linkedin pics and they r UWO MPH graduates....They will be the best people to answer all your questions...Best of luck to all 

Just now, GingerDwight said:

lol unless you don't want to do clinical research? The amount of public health careers that have nothing to do with clinical settings is vast. To each their own, but I think that your recommendation is subjective and doesn't widely apply here. 

Ya, Just wanted to compare a 7k course with 40k course...lol

8 minutes ago, my3420 said:

Thats nice!!!! that you got a stupendous job after this prog....and thanks for taking out time from your posh job and coming to this forum for promoting UWO here...To other guys before making decision.... best is to get in touch with people who have open to work titles on their linkedin pics and they r UWO MPH graduates....They will be the best people to answer all your questions...Best of luck to all 

I can't tell if you're trying to be sarcastic or what. But not once did I say my job is "posh"? But ok. Not here "promoting" the degree, I am clearing up some extremely unwarranted and basically untrue blanket statements that you have made about the program. 

Like you said, everyone's journey in public health is different. It is ultimately up to each individual to make an informed decision. I came in to provide clarity based on some of your untrue comments, as I am a graduate of the program. Not once did I step in to say I am here to promote the program, but go off. 

36 minutes ago, minniexo_ said:

Amandeep also on their webinar of Western highlighted they have an internal pool list of jobs that are only offered to Western MPH students. 

Regarding the practicums? Because, yes! There's an external practicum list where it's open competition, and an internal practicum list, where the competition is others in your cohort who applied to the same position. I could be wrong, but I believe the PHAC practicums were among the internal listings for practicums (paid).