Audiology Applicants Fall 2021

liketobeaud

On 2/2/2021 at 4:20 PM, Sarah Anderson said:

Hi everyone! I am anxiously waiting to hear back from schools. I applied to Texas Tech, Arizona State, Washington University, UNT, and Vanderbilt. I received an email from UNT today to interview and I am excited but also nervous. Has anyone else heard from their schools yet?

I've heard back from UTD, University of the Pacific, Auburn, and OU out of 13 schools I applied too.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:11 AM, liketobeaud said:

Hey everyone! It might be early but I want to start a thread for people applying to programs this fall! Super nervous and excited! ?Tips are welcome. Where are you applying?

Applying to: Vanderbilt University, University of Texas at Dallas, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Arizona, University of Texas Austin, University of Memphis, University of Kansas, University of Florida, University of Oklahoma, University of North Texas, and Texas Tech University Health Science Center

I actually decided not to apply to Vanderbilt, but I added University of the Pacific, Auburn, UAMS. I was nervous honestly!

12 minutes ago, soontobedoctormaybe said:

When did you hear back from NIU? How did you hear? Did they email you? Congratulations! 

They reached out wondering if I would attend on the 4th. I think this happened because I am a competitive candidate. Copied from some of the email, "Because of the high demand for our program, the number of qualified applicants far exceeds the number of positions we will have available for entering students. We realize that talented students such as you may be accepted for graduate study by more than one institution, and that selecting a graduate program can be a very exciting, but complicated decision..." Letters of official acceptance for NIU should come out this week or next, so i'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

16 minutes ago, Cheesepuffs said:

They reached out wondering if I would attend on the 4th. I think this happened because I am a competitive candidate. Copied from some of the email, "Because of the high demand for our program, the number of qualified applicants far exceeds the number of positions we will have available for entering students. We realize that talented students such as you may be accepted for graduate study by more than one institution, and that selecting a graduate program can be a very exciting, but complicated decision..." Letters of official acceptance for NIU should come out this week or next, so i'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

Thank you! 

Edited by soontobedoctormaybe
edit

Hey Guys I have a question! I scheduled an interview for Nova Southeastern about 2 weeks ago for next week. Today I just go an email saying that I got an interview for Montclair but they didn't let me pick a date and so it happens to be the same day as Nova. Montclair said that the interview times run from morning till 1:30 and my Nova interview ends at 12pm. Should I email Montclair asking if I can get one of the later interview times due to a prior arrangement in the morning?

2 hours ago, Mangafanatic said:

Hey Guys I have a question! I scheduled an interview for Nova Southeastern about 2 weeks ago for next week. Today I just go an email saying that I got an interview for Montclair but they didn't let me pick a date and so it happens to be the same day as Nova. Montclair said that the interview times run from morning till 1:30 and my Nova interview ends at 12pm. Should I email Montclair asking if I can get one of the later interview times due to a prior arrangement in the morning?

Yes, I had the same thing happen with two schools, in which one simply emailed and said that I was selected for an interview at a specific date and time without letting me choose. I was able to switch one of them and they didn't seem to mind. I would say something like that you are honored to receive the interview invitation (assuming that you are grateful and appreciate it) but have a prior commitment on that day and are wondering if any other days/times are available, as you sincerely hope to interview there as you are extremely interested in their program (assuming you are, as you spent a lot of time on their application). Let us know what happens! 

1 hour ago, pineapple1 said:

Debating whether I should or should not withdraw applications from schools I know I will not attend, having gotten accepted elsewhere. Does anyone know what the etiquette is on this? 

If the schools you’re thinking about offer you funded positions would you consider them? Are the other schools you’re looking at affordable? If the schools you’re considering withdrawing from were safeties there is a high chance you could get a graduate assistantship, which avoiding student loans is something I highly recommend.

On 2/10/2021 at 2:13 PM, soontobedoctormaybe said:

Yes, I had the same thing happen with two schools, in which one simply emailed and said that I was selected for an interview at a specific date and time without letting me choose. I was able to switch one of them and they didn't seem to mind. I would say something like that you are honored to receive the interview invitation (assuming that you are grateful and appreciate it) but have a prior commitment on that day and are wondering if any other days/times are available, as you sincerely hope to interview there as you are extremely interested in their program (assuming you are, as you spent a lot of time on their application). Let us know what happens! 

Thank you! I emailed them and I got a respond back saying that she will mention my request to someone and that she will do her best to schedule my interview. Hopefully they are able to make it an afternoon interview!

Does anybody know about writing samples in interviews?  Are they mainly looking at your writing skills? I didn't even know schools asked for this so now I'm freaking out.

Interview tip: Prepare for some unconventional questions. I had an interview and was asked math questions. I was so shocked and nervous that I answered it incorrectly. I solved it quickly when I looked at it again after the interview which kills me ? I seriously think they do it to trip you up lol

Does anyone know how important it is to go to a more prestigious audiology program? Will it impact our job search? For instance, Pacific in Oregon is ranked quite low on all of the online ranking pages, but I really like this program. Also Utah State is not ranked very high but they have some unique qualities to their curriculum (i.e., counseling courses, emphasis in peds).

3 hours ago, jenaud7 said:

Does anyone know how important it is to go to a more prestigious audiology program? Will it impact our job search? For instance, Pacific in Oregon is ranked quite low on all of the online ranking pages, but I really like this program. Also Utah State is not ranked very high but they have some unique qualities to their curriculum (i.e., counseling courses, emphasis in peds).

Current AuD student. In the end as long as you pass the PRAXIS you will be eligible to have the same license as someone that went to Vanderbilt or Iowa or any other program. Those programs with more “reputation” may help a bit for your externship and first job due to name recognition, but after your first job and sometimes even after your externship people just care about your knowledge, work ethic, and personality (ability to exist as a member of a team). Where you go for your externship is going to open doors for your first job and is going to be one of the most important aspects on your resume, as it’s where you just spent a year working as an audiologist your externship is where about 75% of your hands on clinical experience before graduation will com from. One important thing to look at when comparing schools is when do clinical placements start, are you responsible for finding those clinical placements, and do you get any assistance in your externship search/are you required to go to certain places for your externship. You want to go to a program that is going to shape you into a well-rounded audiologist and give you the knowledge needed to be a critical thinker and there’s tons of “lower ranked” programs that do that, but some “higher ranked” programs do too. All in all rankings really don’t matter too much, it’s the opportunities you get at the school and what you do with the knowledge they provide you.