Audiology Applicants Fall 2021

liketobeaud

Hey everyone! It might be early but I want to start a thread for people applying to programs this fall! Super nervous and excited! ?Tips are welcome. Where are you applying?

Applying to: Vanderbilt University, University of Texas at Dallas, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Arizona, University of Texas Austin, University of Memphis, University of Kansas, University of Florida, University of Oklahoma, University of North Texas, and Texas Tech University Health Science Center

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there! I'm applying to audiology schools for fall 2021 as well. 

Applying to: Northwestern, Rush, University of Arizona, Kansas University, Salus University, University of Pittsburgh, Washington University in St. Louis, UT Austin, University of Wisconsin, and University of Minnesota. (I'm applying to a lot, I know lol)

All of those schools besides Rush, Salus, and UT are no longer requiring the GRE for admission. What does everyone think about that?

• 2 months later...

Hello! I'm applying to the following schools: UT Austin, Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri State University, Western Michigan University, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Indiana University, and University of Kansas.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey! I’m from Toronto Canada, applying to 8 American schools. Wondering if anybody else is Canadian?? Also, when should we expect to find out the decisions from these programs? I heard they send them out usually in March, can anyone confirm?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am applying to Boulder, Northern Colorado, Utah State, Cincinnati, Arizona State, Gallaudet, Central Michigan, and Northwestern (yes I know so many). Wishing you all the best of luck and a great holiday :)

Hello fellow AuDs!! This is a very exciting time for us, but also filled with anxiety (or maybe that’s just me). I’m applying to Rush, Minnesota, Northern Illinois, KU, Boulder Colorado, Lincoln Nebraska, and WUSTL! My applications and letters of rec are all sent out! I crept to last years posts and it sounds like some students hear from programs in JANUARY!! Ahh!! 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 1:32 PM, soontobedoctormaybe said:

Hello everyone!

I'm so glad there's a forum for this! My friend told me about this one. Is this the only forum you all know about?

I applied to ten schools and I'm looking to hearing back in February and March like all of you! 

I also use reddit! Wow 10 schools?! Which ones did you all apply to? 

Hi everyone!!

I’m a current first year student at the University of Louisville! I’m sure a bunch of you have already applied to schools; however, UofL has extended their application deadline to February 1 due to COVID. We are hosting a virtual open house this Monday from 2-4 where you can learn all about our amazing professors, clinical sites, and research! You can email our program coordinator at Angela.Smith@louisville.edu. 
Feel free to reach out to me or our program if you have any questions! 

On 8/12/2020 at 12:49 PM, erinaudiology said:

Hey there! I'm applying to audiology schools for fall 2021 as well. 

Applying to: Northwestern, Rush, University of Arizona, Kansas University, Salus University, University of Pittsburgh, Washington University in St. Louis, UT Austin, University of Wisconsin, and University of Minnesota. (I'm applying to a lot, I know lol)

All of those schools besides Rush, Salus, and UT are no longer requiring the GRE for admission. What does everyone think about that?

I think that ALL schools should waive the GRE this cycle.

First, the GRE is expensive. Many people don't have extra money to spend during this time. 

Also, many people choose to do GRE prep courses. What is the quality of the prep courses if they are online? How many people can learn from an online course? 

Taking the GRE at home simply doesn't always work. Dogs bark. Kids walk into the room. Home WiFi may not be great.

Next, people are confined to their homes. Some people don't have adequate study spaces in their homes. It's not safe to be at a public library right now to study.

Additionally, people have so much extra stress during this time. So many people have lost loved ones. It's a scary time. 

Also, people have to juggle a lot right now. Some people have to take additional jobs, have to move, etc. to make ends meet. They simply don't have time to study for a big exam like the GRE.

Lastly (for the points that I can think of) a lot of applicants have had COVID themselves! Some people's COVID cases aren't mild and lasts months. If someone decided to apply in October, what if they get COVID in November and the application is due in January? How can that person study and take the GRE in time?

23 minutes ago, soontobedoctormaybe said:

Indiana, Pacific, Northwestern, Northern Illinois University, University of Florida, UConn, Salus, Arkansas, Louisiana Tech, and Syracuse! 

Have you heard from any of the Illinois programs? From what I read on last years posts, the first week in February NIU sent their acceptance letters. *Fingers crossed* 

23 hours ago, soontobedoctormaybe said:

I think that ALL schools should waive the GRE this cycle.

First, the GRE is expensive. Many people don't have extra money to spend during this time. 

Also, many people choose to do GRE prep courses. What is the quality of the prep courses if they are online? How many people can learn from an online course? 

Taking the GRE at home simply doesn't always work. Dogs bark. Kids walk into the room. Home WiFi may not be great.

Next, people are confined to their homes. Some people don't have adequate study spaces in their homes. It's not safe to be at a public library right now to study.

Additionally, people have so much extra stress during this time. So many people have lost loved ones. It's a scary time. 

Also, people have to juggle a lot right now. Some people have to take additional jobs, have to move, etc. to make ends meet. They simply don't have time to study for a big exam like the GRE.

Lastly (for the points that I can think of) a lot of applicants have had COVID themselves! Some people's COVID cases aren't mild and lasts months. If someone decided to apply in October, what if they get COVID in November and the application is due in January? How can that person study and take the GRE in time?

I hate to break it to you, but I'm a current AuD student and school doesn't get put on pause for COVID. I've been back in clinic with patients since June. I have still had to take important exams, just at home. I still have to complete a full capstone. I will still be required to take the PRAXIS. I had to complete all my externship interviews virtually, but it still happened. This is a new and unexpected year and everyone should be flexible in this time (most programs and people are), but life cannot be put on hold during this time. If you feel this strongly about the GRE not being required due to cost, lack of time to study, lack of a quality study space, getting covid etc. I highly recommend considering if you can handle starting graduate school during a pandemic. Chances are programs will still have some classes online next year so online learning is not gone and is something you will have to adapt to in graduate school. I'd also like to note I don't think these are bad things, I'm so grateful I get to continue on in clinic and continue on in school because I am so excited to graduate and become an audiologist, I just wanted to point out that things are not going to just be put on pause because there's a pandemic. We're in a healthcare field. 

Edited by FutureAuD8

16 minutes ago, FutureAuD8 said:

I hate to break it to you, but I'm a current AuD student and school doesn't get put on pause for COVID. I've been back in clinic with patients since June. I have still had to take important exams, just at home. I still have to complete a full capstone. I will still be required to take the PRAXIS. I had to complete all my externship interviews virtually, but it still happened. This is a new and unexpected year and everyone should be flexible in this time (most programs and people are), but life cannot be put on hold during this time. If you feel this strongly about the GRE not being required due to cost, lack of time to study, lack of a quality study space, getting covid etc. I highly recommend considering if you can handle starting graduate school during a pandemic. Chances are programs will still have some classes online next year so online learning is not gone and is something you will have to adapt to in graduate school. I'd also like to note I don't think these are bad things, I'm so grateful I get to continue on in clinic and continue on in school because I am so excited to graduate and become an audiologist, I just wanted to point out that things are not going to just be put on pause because there's a pandemic. We're in a healthcare field. 

Hey! I really appreciate your feedback. My school went virtual and I continued to take exams/classes online in the Spring until I graduated. It was difficult, but I managed. I was just giving reasons in that why I think it should be waived for other people who may not have had the privileges that I had this year (safe study spaces, money set aside for the GRE, not needing to work extra jobs, etc.) but after hearing your thoughts, you have some good points. 

On 1/20/2021 at 10:57 AM, soontobedoctormaybe said:

Hey! I really appreciate your feedback. My school went virtual and I continued to take exams/classes online in the Spring until I graduated. It was difficult, but I managed. I was just giving reasons in that why I think it should be waived for other people who may not have had the privileges that I had this year (safe study spaces, money set aside for the GRE, not needing to work extra jobs, etc.) but after hearing your thoughts, you have some good points. 

Hey soontobedoc, 

For the record, I definitely think your points were very valid. You weren't pushing for "putting a pause" on school, but rather highlighting just an aspect of the admissions process. It's true that COVID-19 has made the past year difficult for many individuals and this certainly has implications for individuals taking the GRE. There is a reason many universities have waived the GRE requirement, as they admit that it is indeed very much culturally-biased. There are many people who do not have the same privilege as others and I think you shed light on their experiences.