Audiology Applicants Fall 2021

liketobeaud

1 minute ago, germanshepherd said:

Same!! I get a mini heart attack each time I get an email notification. I hope we get a response on the sooner end of 2 weeks. Stress levels are high especially because I was rejected from UF earlier this week and I want to go to grad school in Florida. ? I'll pray for us lol

I feel the same way ? I also got rejected from UF and I want to stay in Florida because cold weather is not for me lol

2 hours ago, liketobeaud said:

Has anyone heard from University of Memphis, UT Austin, University of Arizona, UAMS?

I have heard from the University of Arizona earlier today, but not UT Austin. I’ve seen a post from last year that stated they send out their decision during the week of spring break.

3 hours ago, IhEARu said:

I have heard from the University of Arizona earlier today, but not UT Austin. I’ve seen a post from last year that stated they send out their decision during the week of spring break.

So does that mean they don't do interviews?

Have people heard about financial aid (FAFSA)/scholarships at all yet? (not asking how much you got, just if you heard!!) I thought it would come with the acceptance but neither of the acceptances included them..... does this come later? Or do they just assume we're all buckling down with loans either way?

1 hour ago, anotheraud2b said:

Have people heard about financial aid (FAFSA)/scholarships at all yet? (not asking how much you got, just if you heard!!) I thought it would come with the acceptance but neither of the acceptances included them..... does this come later? Or do they just assume we're all buckling down with loans either way?

Graduate school is VERY different than undergrad. Usually the only way to get a scholarship is from an outside source that you apply for. Some program have graduate assistantships (GAs) for students which usually provides a tuition waiver (various % of tuition) and sometimes a stipend. When I applied 2 years ago my funding offers were with my tuition, some schools do not fund first year students and many have very little funding right now due to covid budget cuts. There are no need based grants for grad school (ie. no pell grants). If you are not offered funding loans or savings are really your options, this is why it is SO important to go to the most affordable school. 100k+ in debt as an AuD can be difficult to pay off/can take a long time if you make low payments.

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts about leaving your home state to go to grad school (besides tuition purposes)? The school I'm at right now is 4 hours away from home, but I'm still only a drive away from visiting my family. I am super close to my parents and siblings and am having a loooottttt of anxiety about possibly going somewhere where I'll have to get on a plane to visit home. I have the option to stay at the school I'm currently at, but I feel like I wont grow there and the only reason I would stay is because I'm ~comfortable.~ ANY words of wisdom/advice/reassurance would be amazing because I am struggling

27 minutes ago, hbanana said:

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts about leaving your home state to go to grad school (besides tuition purposes)? The school I'm at right now is 4 hours away from home, but I'm still only a drive away from visiting my family. I am super close to my parents and siblings and am having a loooottttt of anxiety about possibly going somewhere where I'll have to get on a plane to visit home. I have the option to stay at the school I'm currently at, but I feel like I wont grow there and the only reason I would stay is because I'm ~comfortable.~ ANY words of wisdom/advice/reassurance would be amazing because I am struggling

I hear you and its totally valid to want to stay close to home because that's where your support system is. I'm Canadian and applying only to American schools because, as great as our programs are here, I wanted the opportunity to explore and escape my comfort zone. I think the best way to grow and truly focus on your future is to put yourself in that position. HOWEVER...money is a thing forsure..and it isn't cheap to got to grad school. There are definitely financial pros to staying near home. You need to decide based on your own situation, all I can say is that you only live this life once! Do what feels right for you. Do a gut check. What feels right? :) hope that helps!

3 hours ago, anotheraud2b said:

The one offer I have received was for a research assistantship and it came with my admissions letter. Hope this helps! These programs are so expensive :( 

Still waiting to hear back from one or two more schools before I make a decision. However, I just officially declined acceptances from the University of Pittsburgh, Ohio State University, Indiana University, University of Florida, and CUNY. Hope this helps people get off the waitlist! 

14 minutes ago, pineapple1 said:

Still waiting to hear back from one or two more schools before I make a decision. However, I just officially declined acceptances from the University of Pittsburgh, Ohio State University, Indiana University, University of Florida, and CUNY. Hope this helps people get off the waitlist! 

Some schools have a link where you can accept or decline an offer but should you send an email declining the acceptance as well? 

5 minutes ago, smraudio said:

Anybody strongly considering University of the Pacific (San Francisco)? I am heavily leaning towards their program and would love to talk to anybody else who might be thinking they will end up going there :) 

I really liked the program and want to accept but the cost is what has me considering staying in state instead?

4 minutes ago, ilovemydogT said:

I really liked the program and want to accept but the cost is what has me considering staying in state instead?

I completely get it, that's what I am nervous about too! But I went to an info session and some info they gave me was comforting- like since its an accelerated program, that's one year less of tuition! PM me if you want to talk more about it, its helpful to just talk it through with someone else who is trying to decide too :) 

Was anyone else so sure they wanted a specific school before applying, and after interviews and visiting LOVE a program you thought was your bottom choice? I applied to a program just because I thought it was my safety but ended up falling in love. I don't know what to do because it isn't ranked very high and I don't know if that matters. But making decisions are SO difficult. 

20 minutes ago, TheAuDacity said:

Was anyone else so sure they wanted a specific school before applying, and after interviews and visiting LOVE a program you thought was your bottom choice? I applied to a program just because I thought it was my safety but ended up falling in love. I don't know what to do because it isn't ranked very high and I don't know if that matters. But making decisions are SO difficult. 

Rankings really don’t matter all too much. Go to the school that will provide you the best clinical opportunities and the program that really fits your interests! You’re about to spend 3 years at this program interacting with the faculty and other students you want to go to school somewhere that you fit in and feel comfortable.