GEM Fellowship 2021

disavowed_

50 minutes ago, skye1497 said:

Hey! So I've accepted a GEM internship offer already, but have received no offers from a GEM university. I have a partial funding offer from a non-GEM university I've been accepted to, but the deadline to accept is April 15. At what point should I probably assume I'm not going to receive a GEM offer? This whole thing has me so confused and stressed!

I'd reach out to the GEM university rep, if you haven't already, to let them know you have a company sponsor and to ask when you'll definitively know whether or not the university is going to sponsor you. I think the deadline to confirm your GEM University sponsor is May 1, so that date should be coming up soon. 

19 hours ago, skye1497 said:

Hey! So I've accepted a GEM internship offer already, but have received no offers from a GEM university. I have a partial funding offer from a non-GEM university I've been accepted to, but the deadline to accept is April 15. At what point should I probably assume I'm not going to receive a GEM offer? This whole thing has me so confused and stressed!

Also, call the GEM office. I’m in the same predicament and they reached out on my behalf to the university reps.

22 hours ago, e9zOX8P4 said:

I'd reach out to the GEM university rep, if you haven't already, to let them know you have a company sponsor and to ask when you'll definitively know whether or not the university is going to sponsor you. I think the deadline to confirm your GEM University sponsor is May 1, so that date should be coming up soon. 

I've reached out to the GEM reps from universities I've been accepted to, but so far not much luck with getting in touch with them by email or phone. Hopefully things will get resolved soon!

16 minutes ago, skye1497 said:

I'll do that! Have you heard anything since they reached out on your behalf?

Yes, I’m still in the process of getting everything confirmed. I talked to Jamie Hicks at the gem office.

On 4/7/2021 at 6:38 PM, skye1497 said:

I was in the same boat until a few hours ago. Everyone else mentioned the same steps that I took, but also let your GEM internship company know. My GEM company told me I had to submit a offer letter by April 15 (give or take a day or 2) but I would not have the May 1st privilege. It could be that the schools are trying to find you money to cover their remaining balance of having a GEM fellow since GEM does not 100% cover tuition stipend and fees. Rest assured, everything will work out! Best of luck.

2 hours ago, EmmaJeanB said:

I was in the same boat until a few hours ago. Everyone else mentioned the same steps that I took, but also let your GEM internship company know. My GEM company told me I had to submit a offer letter by April 15 (give or take a day or 2) but I would not have the May 1st privilege. It could be that the schools are trying to find you money to cover their remaining balance of having a GEM fellow since GEM does not 100% cover tuition stipend and fees. Rest assured, everything will work out! Best of luck.

Congrats and thanks for the reassurance!  Did you get an offer through your GEM portal or did they reach out directly? The number of times I check my eGEM every day is too much lol

33 minutes ago, skye1497 said:

Congrats and thanks for the reassurance!  Did you get an offer through your GEM portal or did they reach out directly? The number of times I check my eGEM every day is too much lol

Thanks! I received the offer in the GEM portal first but it was only a few hours difference. It's literally like a pipeline of forwarding messages. And your universities GEM rep is the middle man. I think it'll be easier to reach out to the department than checking the portal too much

Hey everyone I have a few more questions about this GEM process. I have a company sponsor and also just signed my University support agreement but for some reason the University support agreement in the GEM portal did not mention me being a "Full Fellow" or my sponsor but an "Associate Fellow". Is this typical that the University Support Agreement only says you are a "Associate" even if you are a full fellow. They are definitely aware that I have an Employer. I am wondering if this is typical for the University support agreement b/c there is also an Employer support agreement that I signed (so two contracts).

Also how long did it take you "Confirmed Contract Pending" Status to be fully confirmed by GEM.

Thanks everyone and good luck!

6 hours ago, grad_738 said:

Hey everyone I have a few more questions about this GEM process. I have a company sponsor and also just signed my University support agreement but for some reason the University support agreement in the GEM portal did not mention me being a "Full Fellow" or my sponsor but an "Associate Fellow". Is this typical that the University Support Agreement only says you are a "Associate" even if you are a full fellow. They are definitely aware that I have an Employer. I am wondering if this is typical for the University support agreement b/c there is also an Employer support agreement that I signed (so two contracts).

Also how long did it take you "Confirmed Contract Pending" Status to be fully confirmed by GEM.

My status just says "Confirmed Contract" now, and I don't remember when it said "pending," so I'm guessing it happened within a week or two. 

Hey! Has anyone heard from the Stanford representative? I finally got my financial aid from the department I applied to and they are only funding (2/3) of my tuition. I have an Industry Sponsor. How do I know that the department knows I am a GEM applicant and that I have an Industry Sponsor? Am I supposed to tell them? Also since I only got partial funding does that mean I can't be a GEM Full Fellow, or is there a way that I could still become one?

This whole process has been so confusing and any support from this forum is very helpful!

2 hours ago, liz2015 said:

Out of curiosity, was anyone offered more than the minimum required annual stipend for the Associate Fellow in the GEM contract from their university? I was offered more but not sure why!

I was offered the typical amount that they offer PhD students. 

9 hours ago, grad_738 said:

I was in the same boat. I just signed the contract today and under offers it says confirmed contract. University status is still pending

On the GEM portal, under the "My Fellowship" section, I have a university listed next to "University Sponsor". But that school has yet to reach out and let me know they are willing to sponsor me. To those who have a GEM contract already, did you run into something similar?

On 4/9/2021 at 6:09 PM, pm2020 said:

Hey! Has anyone heard from the Stanford representative? I finally got my financial aid from the department I applied to and they are only funding (2/3) of my tuition. I have an Industry Sponsor. How do I know that the department knows I am a GEM applicant and that I have an Industry Sponsor? Am I supposed to tell them? Also since I only got partial funding does that mean I can't be a GEM Full Fellow, or is there a way that I could still become one?

This whole process has been so confusing and any support from this forum is very helpful!

Hi! Reach out to Stanford's GEM rep, Lourdes. It sounds like your department funding is independent of the GEM fellowship, so with the GEM fellowship they should hopefully be able to cover the gap. Congratulations by the way!

I reached out to Lourdes about confirming my fellowship a few weeks ago. She said it was dependent on my department's ability to fund me and would let me know when she hears more. Unfortunately I still haven't heard anything yet, but I'm still crossing my fingers.

Not sure if you're a MS or PhD student, but Lourdes' contact info is found here - just send her an email explaining the situation. It might help to CC someone from your department as well, since Lourdes is going to have to contact them anyway and the decision deadline is getting close.  https://engineering.stanford.edu/students-academics/equity-and-inclusion-initiatives/funding-and-financial-aid/funding-your-master-s

Edited by parky190

1 hour ago, parky190 said:

Hi! Reach out to Stanford's GEM rep, Lourdes. It sounds like your department funding is independent of the GEM fellowship, so with the GEM fellowship they should hopefully be able to cover the gap. Congratulations by the way!

I reached out to Lourdes about confirming my fellowship a few weeks ago. She said it was dependent on my department's ability to fund me and would let me know when she hears more. Unfortunately I still haven't heard anything yet, but I'm still crossing my fingers.

Not sure if you're a MS or PhD student, but Lourdes' contact info is found here - just send her an email explaining the situation. It might help to CC someone from your department as well, since Lourdes is going to have to contact them anyway and the decision deadline is getting close. https://engineering.stanford.edu/students-academics/equity-and-inclusion-initiatives/funding-and-financial-aid/funding-your-master-s

Hey! Thank you so much for this information. I reached out to her earlier this week and called but have yet to hear back ? 

I am a Masters student and I have until April 15th to make a decision about accepting the funding offer. Hoping I will hear back before then! 

38 minutes ago, pm2020 said:

Hey! Thank you so much for this information. I reached out to her earlier this week and called but have yet to hear back ? 

I am a Masters student and I have until April 15th to make a decision about accepting the funding offer. Hoping I will hear back before then! 

No problem! And yea, she takes a while to respond - I had better luck getting a quick response from someone in my department.

I'm a masters student as well, but my department doesn't provide any funding (typically) for masters students so this is definitely a stretch for me. That being said, I looked at previous GEM fellows and the department has sponsored an MS Fellow before so at least there's precedent...

But same, I'd really like to know either way so I don't have to make an absolute last minute decision on April 15, lol.

Edited by parky190

I want to clarify, if a GEM Fellowship is provided for a PhD, is the stipend subtracted from the tuition for that quarter/semester? Or if the school is already providing a stipend/tuition waiver, the GEM stipend is separate and added to that?

Thanks for all you do :)

12 hours ago, AnalogAF said:

I want to clarify, if a GEM Fellowship is provided for a PhD, is the stipend subtracted from the tuition for that quarter/semester? Or if the school is already providing a stipend/tuition waiver, the GEM stipend is separate and added to that?

Thanks for all you do :)

I believe if you will get GEM, all tuition will be covered by the school throughout you whole PhD studies. On top of that, depending on what level of scholarship you get, you will get a stipend for certain amount of semesters/quarters. 

On 3/31/2021 at 12:30 AM, isagab said:

No worries, I understand. This process is so confusing and complicated. Best of luck though! :)

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I let the Michigan GEM rep know that I will not be accepting their offer, so there should be another GEM spot opening up. (I'm very excited to receive a funding offer from CMU, but I'm still hoping it works out with Stanford...) Best of luck to you too! ?

On 4/10/2021 at 8:40 PM, pm2020 said:

Just wanted to let you know that it looks like Lourdes is out of office until April 14 ?

Looks like it's going to be a close call. I'm going to call on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, parky190 said:

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I let the Michigan GEM rep know that I will not be accepting their offer, so there should be another GEM spot opening up. (I'm very excited to receive a funding offer from CMU, but I'm still hoping it works out with Stanford...) Best of luck to you too! ?

Hey, thanks for your update. I actually got an offer from Michigan today so everything worked out for me too. Best of luck with Stanford and hope that works out! :)

Also, for those sending their official transcripts to GEM, do you know if you have to have your final GPA on the transcript? I'm assuming not because my classes end May 1 and my final grades won't be up for about a week after, but I just want to make sure. 

9 hours ago, isagab said:

Also, for those sending their official transcripts to GEM, do you know if you have to have your final GPA on the transcript? I'm assuming not because my classes end May 1 and my final grades won't be up for about a week after, but I just want to make sure. 

Has the GEM portal prompted you yet to send in a transcript or do you just mean when they get around to asking? So far the GEM University rep and I have signed the contract but it's missing the "GEM Executive" signature.