How are Applications, Getting Ready to Start, Etc Going for Everyone?

PsyZei

26 minutes ago, Schy said:

Now that it's September and applications are due in 2-3 months, I'm suddenly panicking.....

lol same, it definitely snuck up! I still have 18 programs on my list that I need to somehow whittle down to around 10 ?

Oh wow! I definitely have the opposite problem - around 8-10 programs and not sure if I should add more. I know I should start working on personal statements, but also the thought of it is so daunting.

When are y'all reaching out to LOR writers? Feel like I should get started on that soon.

34 minutes ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

Oh wow! I definitely have the opposite problem - around 8-10 programs and not sure if I should add more. I know I should start working on personal statements, but also the thought of it is so daunting.

When are y'all reaching out to LOR writers? Feel like I should get started on that soon.

I was honestly thinking of drafting up some emails today *insert crying* This is my third round and there are some people that are probably expecting to write me a LOR, but it doesn't get any harder actually having to ask LOL. 

55 minutes ago, justacigar said:

lol same, it definitely snuck up! I still have 18 programs on my list that I need to somehow whittle down to around 10 ?

I honestly was going to give up after last year and just focus on Masters programs and just deal with student loans lol. However my research mentor suggested I apply to a Behavior Analysis specific PhD program (I was always focused on clinical psych before) so I have exactly ONE PhD program. On one hand, that's amazing because I can put all of my attention into this ONE application. On the other hand, it's ONE program that I'm betting on. But I am honestly just so exhausted lol, I just want to be onto the next chapter of my life. 

On 9/1/2020 at 11:49 AM, Schy said:

Now that it's September and applications are due in 2-3 months, I'm suddenly panicking.....

How is the process going for you so far?

On 8/31/2020 at 12:07 PM, EmpatheticMastermind said:

My strengths have always been around research output (I had a first author pub and paper presentation at an international conference last time I applied), but I had pretty limited experience in psychology and no clear research direction. I think the biggest improvements I've made are 1) working a full-time job with my population of interest, 2) taking all the basic psych classes that are recommended/required for various programs, and 3) having a clear, concise research interest. 

I know that everyone says research is the biggest deal, and maybe it is (I certainly think if you have no research experience that will hurt you), but I got way more questions about and discussion from PIs about the ways that I had worked with my populations of interest and in the stuff I did that showed initiative beyond research or the expected internship stuff (like developing and implementing programs/curriculum/groups at a local non-profit that worked with my population of interest). Granted I didn't do those things expecting them to be the tipping points on my applications, I did those things because I was already working there and saw the need and had ideas about how to fill it within my own capacity (and it is basically the miniature/lighter version of what I want to do with my degree).

In hindsight, I definitely would encourage others who are looking at PhDs in an sort of social science/justice/work field to go ahead and if you have the chance to work with your population of interest or area of interest in some capacity I think that will add to your resume/application.

44 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

How is the process going for you so far?

Honestly, I feel like I can't complain since I'm in a very fortunate position where the program I'm applying completely waived the GRE. However, this is my third time applying to PhD programs so there are a bunch of uncertainties running through my head: Am I ready for this? Should I find different people to write my LOR's? Will I seem flighty if I name two different faculty in my statement of purpose?

I honestly wasn't going to try for another phd program. After last year I was going to give up completely and just focus on a masters, but I've had a number of people in my life that have been supporting me and encouraging me to apply to this one specific program so here we are!!!! I refuse to get my hopes up though, so I'll DEFINITELY be applying to masters programs, student loans be damned!!!

How about you? How is the season going for you? Edit: I asked this question and then realized you may currently be in a program! How has it been so far?  

Edited by Schy

Just now, Schy said:

Honestly, I feel like I can't complain since I'm in a very fortunate position where the program I'm applying completely waived the GRE. However, this is my third time applying to PhD programs so there are a bunch of uncertainties running through my head: Am I ready for this? Should I find different people to write my LOR's? Will I seem flighty if I name two different faculty in my statement of purpose?

I honestly wasn't going to try for another phd program. After last year I was going to give up completely and just focus on a masters, but I've had a number of people in my life that have been supporting me and encouraging me to apply to this one specific program so here we are!!!! I refuse to get my hopes up though, so I'll DEFINITELY be applying to masters programs, student loans be damned!!!

How about you? How is the season going for you? 

First (just cause this jumped out to me as a whoa buddy thing), please do name two different faculty in your statement of purpose. That will actually make you seem the opposite of flighty- rather prepared and like you have made sure that the program you are applying to aligns with you in more ways than just by having one faculty you like there. I named at least two, and sometimes three, faculty in all of sops (there was one program that I essentially said that I was really excited about this faculty and that faculty and that faculty and that i was also excited about how it seemed like the whole program and larger department really aligned with my interests and was excited about all the opportunities to work with everyone... I'm in that PhD program now). 

Also, good for you applying to masters programs! I did the same thing my first application season I applied to both phds and masters. I was rejected or waitlisted for all phds, but accepted to all masters (which had the benefit of not making me feel like a complete failure, lol). Did my masters and applied to phds again. Student loans suck, but I also know this is what I want to do, so I'd rather have the student loans than not have the career, you know?

Good luck on everything, you've got this!

On 8/31/2020 at 1:07 PM, EmpatheticMastermind said:

My strengths have always been around research output (I had a first author pub and paper presentation at an international conference last time I applied), but I had pretty limited experience in psychology and no clear research direction. I think the biggest improvements I've made are 1) working a full-time job with my population of interest, 2) taking all the basic psych classes that are recommended/required for various programs, and 3) having a clear, concise research interest. 

That's great! I think its so important to get clarity about what your strengths and weaknesses are. Part of why this forum is so helpful. Good luck this round!

6 hours ago, Schy said:

i have a zoom meeting next week with someone I'm interested in working with and I'm so nervous lmao. 

Awesome!! Congrats! I also finally was successful scheduling a meeting with a PI but she had to schedule it for October...so much down time to worry about it ?

17 hours ago, justacigar said:

Awesome!! Congrats! I also finally was successful scheduling a meeting with a PI but she had to schedule it for October...so much down time to worry about it ?

OMGGGG okay that is a lonnnnggg time to wait

On 9/9/2020 at 6:20 AM, Schy said:

i have a zoom meeting next week with someone I'm interested in working with and I'm so nervous lmao. 

How did it go?? I also just scheduled a call with a possible advisor and want to make sure I’m as prepared as possible.

Also finally getting ready to start applications and both excited and nervous, especially about the personal statement.

On 9/18/2020 at 2:56 PM, Kylar said:

How did it go?? I also just scheduled a call with a possible advisor and want to make sure I’m as prepared as possible.

Also finally getting ready to start applications and both excited and nervous, especially about the personal statement.

Thanks for asking! 

I ended up having 1 zoom meeting and 1 phone call in the same day! lmao talk about nerve wracking. But honestly, I thought it went awesome. One POI expressed her concerns that even some students with masters struggle when they first enter a PhD and seeing that I only have a bachelors, she would hate for me to feel behind. So she suggested I audit some classes, which I am! I was a little worried she thought I wasn't ready but she emailed me the next day and told me it sounded like I was really ready for this next step in my life and she was looking forward to reading my application.

The second person pretty much answered all my questions right off the bat. He actually opened with explaining how things are going during covid.

All in all, both meetings were very very formal. I did make a list of points I wanted to talk about so that I had some structure, but honestly conversation with both of them just flowed. 

Good luck with your call! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t8CMel9f6lZKgtzi-zIuOhPP000kWHCNrbRO9KLAsC8/edit#gid=0 I've linked you to the google sheets I just created for myself so that it made having the conversation a little easier! 

2 hours ago, Fabretti said:

I'm currently reaching out to POIs. I'm a little nervous though because many of them didn't reply yet.

I usually send a polite follow-up after two weeks have passed - PI inboxes are nuts and it's really easy for an email to get lost. I have pretty good success with follow-up emails, but there are some professors that just won't reply. 

3 hours ago, Schy said:

Thanks for asking! 

I ended up having 1 zoom meeting and 1 phone call in the same day! lmao talk about nerve wracking. But honestly, I thought it went awesome. One POI expressed her concerns that even some students with masters struggle when they first enter a PhD and seeing that I only have a bachelors, she would hate for me to feel behind. So she suggested I audit some classes, which I am! I was a little worried she thought I wasn't ready but she emailed me the next day and told me it sounded like I was really ready for this next step in my life and she was looking forward to reading my application.

The second person pretty much answered all my questions right off the bat. He actually opened with explaining how things are going during covid.

All in all, both meetings were very very formal. I did make a list of points I wanted to talk about so that I had some structure, but honestly conversation with both of them just flowed. 

Good luck with your call! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t8CMel9f6lZKgtzi-zIuOhPP000kWHCNrbRO9KLAsC8/edit#gid=0 I've linked you to the google sheets I just created for myself so that it made having the conversation a little easier! 

AHAHA okay I definitely meant that the meetings were INFORMAL. They were in fact CASUAL. 

10 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I usually send a polite follow-up after two weeks have passed - PI inboxes are nuts and it's really easy for an email to get lost. I have pretty good success with follow-up emails, but there are some professors that just won't reply. 

It has been a week yet. I will certainly do this. Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Soo I took the plunge and started my online applications today...it's getting more and more real every day! I have moments of panic but overall looking forward to getting everything submitted and having a BIG sigh of relief afterwards. 

How is everyone holding up? Where are y'all at in the process?

Sigh... I have decided to wait another year to apply so I can get more research experience (just got a research coordinator job) and because I'm in progress to publish a paper within the next year. I feel like it'll make me more competitive than if I was to apply this cycle. Good luck everyone!!!! I am rooting for you all!! ❤️ 

2 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Sigh... I have decided to wait another year to apply so I can get more research experience (just got a research coordinator job) and because I'm in progress to publish a paper within the next year. I feel like it'll make me more competitive than if I was to apply this cycle. Good luck everyone!!!! I am rooting for you all!! ❤️ 

Nothing wrong with that! There's still a strong possibility this will be me in the next couple months. Just think of the amazing schools you'll have on your list next time around!