How are Applications, Getting Ready to Start, Etc Going for Everyone?

PsyZei

On 10/16/2020 at 6:59 PM, Randi S said:

Is this a PhD program? Because if it's anything over a Masters, the answer is YES, you need at least two faculty members who can write glowing LORs. A PhD program is all about the research, and has nowhere near as much to do with what you called "blue collar" work. Your work ethic and functional knowledge will help you, but what they really want to know is if you have the aptitude to search literature, critically think about other peoples' works, create your own studies AND have the drive and ability to see it through til the end. It's a completely different skill set than you use on the job. While I think it's fine to use the BCBA you are currently working under as a last reference, your office manager is really not going to be the LOR that gets you into a program. Follow up with the prof you connected with on LinkedIn and see what they have to say. Last resort, check with the first LOR writer and see if he/she has any recommendations of someone you worked with or studied under around the same time that could speak to your abilities.

Yes it’s a PhD program! I just had no idea if it mattered if it had been years since I’ve actually been in school. And the OBM faculty specifically states they place value in people with work experience because of the subject matter of the program but I definitely want to try and get this second faculty so I’m going to message her again! Thank you!

On 10/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, EileanDonan said:

Awesome! There's not really a wide range of school options for folks like us I think. I'm interested in the etiology of psychopathy/antisocial PD, especially within the context of criminality. Some interest in assessments as well. I'm interested in these topics from both neuro and personality perspectives (both is better!). With that said, we probably won't be overlapping much with our PIs, so I guess we can breathe easier there at least haha.

Also a note on differentiating programs for SOP's, have you considered poking around their student handbooks for ideas? Those are pretty detailed.

That sounds super interesting! And agreed that I doubt we have PIs in common, which is nice, even though it feels weird to say that haha.

Thanks for the advice! The student handbooks are definitely helpful, once you've read enough of them to actually distinguish the differences.

10 hours ago, JoePianist said:

Don’t waste time applying for them if they never reply 

I'd be cautious about this if it's a program you're really excited about. There are so many reasons professors don't reply that go beyond their interest in you (general policy to not reply, being really busy and it slipping through the cracks, etc). While I totally understand it being disheartening, I wouldn't count yourself out, especially when so many people have said they've gotten in with either no or a very canned response.

I'm applying to 3 MA forensic psy programs and am feeling pretty good at this point. Took my first GRE practice test today (2/3 of my schools require it) and my scores were right in line with what I was hoping for based on averages of accepted applicants / goal scores I got from my prospective programs. LoRs are done, I just have to tidy up my CV, do my personal statement and essays, pay my fees and take the GRE in December...

I got my BFA in a totally unrelated field five years ago and am finishing an undergrad in Criminal Justice, minor Psychology, hopefully in May. Being a non-traditional grad applicant always makes me doubt myself but I'm trying to stay confident!

I'm applying to MS experimental psych programs and I have an informal meeting set up with a POI I've been emailing back and forth with for a few weeks. On Tuesday he said we could meet on 'this upcoming Thursday at 1:00PM' and he would send me a zoom link.

The problem is that it IS Thursday at 1:20PM and still no email or anything since Tuesday. I'm wondering if he meant next Thursday or if I should email him now to see what's going on. I want to know, but I also don't want to seem like I'm being too pushy about it. What would y'all do in this situation?

13 minutes ago, psych44 said:

I'm applying to MS experimental psych programs and I have an informal meeting set up with a POI I've been emailing back and forth with for a few weeks. On Tuesday he said we could meet on 'this upcoming Thursday at 1:00PM' and he would send me a zoom link.

The problem is that it IS Thursday at 1:20PM and still no email or anything since Tuesday. I'm wondering if he meant next Thursday or if I should email him now to see what's going on. I want to know, but I also don't want to seem like I'm being too pushy about it. What would y'all do in this situation?

Update: He sent me the Zoom link for 2:00PM...when I'm at work ?. Turns out we're in different time zones. 

1 hour ago, psych44 said:

Update: He sent me the Zoom link for 2:00PM...when I'm at work ?. Turns out we're in different time zones. 

I've had this issue myself a few times, I just make sure to include the zone in all correspondence so we're on the same page.

3 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

I've had this issue myself a few times, I just make sure to include the zone in all correspondence so we're on the same page.

It ended up being okay and we rescheduled but it's definitely not a mistake I'll be making twice!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Are folks sending off their recommendation links ASAP, or closer to deadlines?

I'd ask each mentor individually when they want the links. I send them all at once and try to do it closer to when they need them. Otherwise they have to dig through their insane inboxes, or you'll have to resend links later. 

52 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I'd ask each mentor individually when they want the links. I send them all at once and try to do it closer to when they need them. Otherwise they have to dig through their insane inboxes, or you'll have to resend links later. 

Same advice here basically.

I sent all links once I had acceptances from each letter writer. Then I would also send links separately to each person as I followed up with them closer to the time (and then again for the one person who still hadn't written them the day before they were due, lol).  

• 3 weeks later...

*SIGH* someone I know in the program I'm applying informed me that the PI is going back and forth on whether or not to accept a student (even though we spoke in early fall and had a great conversation and she seemed set on taking a student). I KNOW I'm a great applicant and the match (to me) is pretty darn perfect. I guess I just have to hope and pray that she accepts interviews and I get to do one. 

On 11/24/2020 at 10:12 AM, Schy said:

*SIGH* someone I know in the program I'm applying informed me that the PI is going back and forth on whether or not to accept a student (even though we spoke in early fall and had a great conversation and she seemed set on taking a student). I KNOW I'm a great applicant and the match (to me) is pretty darn perfect. I guess I just have to hope and pray that she accepts interviews and I get to do one. 

Good luck, rooting for you!

On 11/23/2020 at 4:45 PM, Fabretti said:

I can't move on with my SoP. I thought I was done but when I look at it, it seem far from ideal.

That is the worst feeling. This year of all years I feel like it's okay to not be ideal. Good luck!

I'm trying to finish up my last few edits on some personal statements, but my motivation is dwindling....one of my letter writers hasn't uploaded a thing to any of my apps or responded to my emails for the past two weeks. It's making me pretty nervous. Worst part is we are close enough to be friends on social media, and I see her posting all the time ? I would feel much better about the lack of uploading if I knew she was at least receiving the links....sigh

4 hours ago, phdhopeful96 said:

I'm trying to finish up my last few edits on some personal statements, but my motivation is dwindling....one of my letter writers hasn't uploaded a thing to any of my apps or responded to my emails for the past two weeks. It's making me pretty nervous. Worst part is we are close enough to be friends on social media, and I see her posting all the time ? I would feel much better about the lack of uploading if I knew she was at least receiving the links....sigh

Similar situation here. My PI has never replied to a single email ever since he agreed to write a recommendation letter for me. I don't even know if he receives the school ddls & upload links I sent him. And I receive lab emails from him every day. ? I honestly don't know what to do. Maybe the only comforting thing I know is that most of the time he is not accessible thru email, and he just likes to do things at last minute.. 

3 minutes ago, UnmotivatedNeuroApplicant said:

Similar situation here. My PI has never replied to a single email ever since he agreed to write a recommendation letter for me. I don't even know if he receives the school ddls & upload links I sent him. And I receive lab emails from him every day. ? I honestly don't know what to do. Maybe the only comforting thing I know is that most of the time he is not accessible thru email, and he just likes to do things at last minute.. 

ugh! That's super annoying. I totally understand being busy, but just the confirmation that you have the materials to move forward and are still planning to submit would be nice.....crossing my fingers for both of us!

On 11/21/2020 at 6:22 PM, Dazen said:

Thanks for the reminder for relaxation and self-love! I have officially submitted all of my apps and am now waiting for my last recommender to submit, and for the inevitable season of refreshing my email once we hit December. 

Haha! I already started. UCSB sends out their first wave of interview invites in December! So any day or week now. The anxiety man