How are Applications, Getting Ready to Start, Etc Going for Everyone?

PsyZei

I'm starting to get suuupper anxious, like any time I turn to application prep I can feel my chest tightening and my heart rate increasing. I think we're also at a difficult stage for prep because it's a strange in-between time. There really isn't too much to do yet. I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic but it feels like I'm heading into a life or death battle for my future ? how is everyone staying focused and sane these days?? Asking for a friend...and the friend is me

12 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I'm starting to get suuupper anxious, like any time I turn to application prep I can feel my chest tightening and my heart rate increasing. I think we're also at a difficult stage for prep because it's a strange in-between time. There really isn't too much to do yet. I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic but it feels like I'm heading into a life or death battle for my future ? how is everyone staying focused and sane these days?? Asking for a friend...and the friend is me

I totally understand where you're coming from. I reached out to some PIs this week; and, now that I have meetings with them coming up, it feels too real. I didn't expect to get this anxious about apps so early. I guess the best advice is keep practicing self care. It's the most important skill for grad school, so get a routine now.

49 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I can relate, especially as it feels too early to be making any substantial efforts on apps (although job-hunting is a pretty good distraction), but it seems like there should be something I ought to be working on? Honestly I feel like I've been fighting for my future since I graduated. ? I think I'm going to wake up in September in frozen horror.

6 hours ago, philoquant said:

I totally understand where you're coming from. I reached out to some PIs this week; and, now that I have meetings with them coming up, it feels too real. I didn't expect to get this anxious about apps so early. I guess the best advice is keep practicing self care. It's the most important skill for grad school, so get a routine now.

That's awesome you have some meetings lined up! I did check in with one faculty member so far, but I haven't heard back. I think summer can be a hit or a miss, which is sort of why I'm waiting. Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing anxiety already. I definitely agree about self-care. I think the pandemic has sort of thrown my usual self-care activities off which has been a struggle. What's your go-to for self care? I always need new ideas lol 

5 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

I can relate, especially as it feels too early to be making any substantial efforts on apps (although job-hunting is a pretty good distraction), but it seems like there should be something I ought to be working on? Honestly I feel like I've been fighting for my future since I graduated. ? I think I'm going to wake up in September in frozen horror.

Wow job hunting and applications?? That sounds very stressful Are you looking for a research job? 

Same here! It's so hard to know exactly what you need to do for your career, to have the motivation and the skill set, yet it is still such a struggle. Agreed about waking up in horror in September...I know once we hit fall the months will fly by and apps will be due before we know it. 

I'm a bit stressed about starting grad classes in a few weeks with everything going on (and considering I haven't registered for classes yet, but we don't start classes until the end of September), but I already moved across the country so there's some sense of relief to the PhD program beginning soon! For those applying right now, I can't sympathize enough - applications are hard and stressful and with everyone's modified schedules I'm sure that adds an extra layer of stress. 

How are you guys feeling about beginning classes? My school is doing a hybrid class model but I'm not sure if I really feel comfortable teaching and attending classes in person... 

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

Wow job hunting and applications?? That sounds very stressful Are you looking for a research job? 

Same here! It's so hard to know exactly what you need to do for your career, to have the motivation and the skill set, yet it is still such a struggle. Agreed about waking up in horror in September...I know once we hit fall the months will fly by and apps will be due before we know it. 

Yup! I'm part time at the moment, but it feels rather limiting, both in terms of pay and opportunities. I have a hard time imagining that I'll have made any meaningful progress with it by the end of the year (and yes, I know that's still a ways off), so I'd really like to be settled into something new by fall. I hope a new position will let me go remote for a while, now is not a fun time to be moving. ? Can't be too picky these days, though.

Yeah, I'm still just trying to decide if I even have the energy to email the 25-30 PIs still on my list. ? Even with a spreadsheet, it's just so much to be keeping track of.

Edited by EileanDonan

On 7/29/2020 at 8:11 PM, mmmmcoffee said:

I'm a bit stressed about starting grad classes in a few weeks with everything going on (and considering I haven't registered for classes yet, but we don't start classes until the end of September), but I already moved across the country so there's some sense of relief to the PhD program beginning soon! For those applying right now, I can't sympathize enough - applications are hard and stressful and with everyone's modified schedules I'm sure that adds an extra layer of stress. 

How are you guys feeling about beginning classes? My school is doing a hybrid class model but I'm not sure if I really feel comfortable teaching and attending classes in person... 

Same, I told myself I would register this weekend, lol- and we do start in just a couple weeks. It's going to be an interesting year!

GRE prepping is going terrible so far, I only plan on taking it once and having hope that other factors of my application will prevail. I haven't started writing my personal statements yet but I do have an idea of what it will entail. Has anyone else's mental health been going down the drain this cycle? Yes, its early but I feel so overwhelmed by the whole pandemic and the stress of school!!! 

8 minutes ago, psychcoffeegal said:

GRE prepping is going terrible so far, I only plan on taking it once and having hope that other factors of my application will prevail. I haven't started writing my personal statements yet but I do have an idea of what it will entail. Has anyone else's mental health been going down the drain this cycle? Yes, its early but I feel so overwhelmed by the whole pandemic and the stress of school!!! 

Yes, the pandemic as well as the social justice issues going on in the USA right now is making things much more stressful than in past years. Things that were manageable levels of stressful when I started at undergrad and my masters program are really hard to do this year starting a PhD. Even simple things like enroll in classes or whatever. On top, I have kiddos and we are having to jump through hoops to get them set up for virtual school (and we honestly don't even know how that is going to work with my spouse working ~60+ hours a week and then my in school plus working as a grad assistant, plus seeing clients as well). I know we will find some way to manage it, but life is super overwhelming right now. It is definitely not just you. Good luck and try to remind yourself that you can only do your best.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:03 PM, psychcoffeegal said:

I'm not sure if you know this year, but GREs are being omitted (or optional) for many psychology graduate programs this cycle. So if you plan on applying this year, I would focus your efforts on your personal statement and the rest of your application.

Hope that helps with your stress... maybe you can get into a graduate program without reading a single reading comprehension passage ?

22 hours ago, HopefulPsych2020 said:

I'm not sure if you know this year, but GREs are being omitted (or optional) for many psychology graduate programs this cycle. So if you plan on applying this year, I would focus your efforts on your personal statement and the rest of your application.

Hope that helps with your stress... maybe you can get into a graduate program without reading a single reading comprehension passage ?

I appreciate your support!! Yes I am aware but the programs I have my eye on (NY-based) havent yet said anything about the GRE's besides CUNY. Waiting on them!!

2 hours ago, psychcoffeegal said:

I appreciate your support!! Yes I am aware but the programs I have my eye on (NY-based) havent yet said anything about the GRE's besides CUNY. Waiting on them!!

Columbia Psych (not sure about Teacher's College) will waive GRE.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:06 PM, EileanDonan said:

I sympathize with you on the family front. My spouse and I aren't trying to have a child at the moment, but the future possibility of it is something that impacts our conversations now regarding career/academic moves. And did I mention that my spouse wants a PhD in a highly specific field as well? To say things have become convoluted is an understatement. I think you should be proud of yourself for getting that MA though! At this rate I'm planning on applying to a few myself, although so few of them are funded. You're not crazy, all we can do is our do our best with what life gives us! Out of the blue, I have my first RA interview in three months tomorrow; hopefully it's a harbinger of better things to come.

Hey! How did the interview go? To add on spouse issue- I am now out of school and out of work (I cannot work due to visa restriction). So I am only volunteering my hours for a research work in a lab, and preparing for PhD-besides of course doing house chores and living life. My spouse is doing his second master. He was also in this -only wants to be in this program- that he is enrolled now (Happy for him and here to support him, he only got in after the 2nd application). I am kinda trapped here because we want to be together. But next year he will graduate and we'll move with my doctoral plan, where ever that is. So family and partners, it's a lot of negotiation, all the trade off of time here and there, sacrifices, etc.Everyone has their own struggle, on top of the application requirement and fit per se :) Keep going and find what works for you. Good luck!! 

16 hours ago, Rerun said:

Hey! How did the interview go? To add on spouse issue- I am now out of school and out of work (I cannot work due to visa restriction). So I am only volunteering my hours for a research work in a lab, and preparing for PhD-besides of course doing house chores and living life. My spouse is doing his second master. He was also in this -only wants to be in this program- that he is enrolled now (Happy for him and here to support him, he only got in after the 2nd application). I am kinda trapped here because we want to be together. But next year he will graduate and we'll move with my doctoral plan, where ever that is. So family and partners, it's a lot of negotiation, all the trade off of time here and there, sacrifices, etc.Everyone has their own struggle, on top of the application requirement and fit per se :) Keep going and find what works for you. Good luck!! 

I ended up getting reject from the initial one, haha. However, I've noticed that when I get interview it's a sort of "when it rains, it pours" situation (but in a good way)! I ended up getting invitations for five positions around that time, and I'm waiting to hear back about three now. I had a third-round (extra excited about this one) and another first-round today. August has the potential to be very interesting indeed (or very disappointing...)! Bit nervous about how relocation will work, though.

Sorry, about the work situation! My current lab only JUST got the funding in to pay me for work I've actually been doing since the fall, which is weird timing considering I'll start a new job soon for all I know. There are some real pros and cons with both spouses being highly ambitious, and self-sacrifice becomes a necessity after a while. Communication is so incredibly vital! Things end up working in "turns" for us as well, and it seems that mine will be next, too. Hang in there!

25 minutes ago, psychcoffeegal said:

Hello everyone, My GRE test date is in 3 weeks and I'm still doing super poorly :( so anxious! I'm really betting on my GPA, personal statement, and letters of recommendations to get me through this. 

Just don't report it if you get a bad score! Most schools are making it optional or not even accepting it entirely!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 11:26 AM, PsyZei said:

Yes! I really don't think people realize how difficult it is to get into PhD programs, especially if you don't come from a privileged background. My family of origin really just has no idea how hard doing this has been, or how competitive it is, then how hard the actual grad school is (especially right now with everything going on in the world). Ditto to you, if you ever want to vent or just not have to paint a rosy picture you can def dm me. 

aww very nice of you, thanks!! 

On 7/8/2020 at 3:55 PM, EmpatheticMastermind said:

I didn't get any interviews the last time around, so hearing positive things about my current CV has helped ease the stress a bit.

I'm wondering what you did in the past year that made you a better candidate this time around? Were you able to publish more?

On 7/29/2020 at 1:53 PM, philoquant said:

Hey this is amazing!! Congrats! I'm also starting to apply for Clinical PhD programs. I was wondering what kind of an intro email did you send that led them to having meetings with you? Because, that is honestly an amazing achievement. 

1 hour ago, CoffeeErryday said:

Hey this is amazing!! Congrats! I'm also starting to apply for Clinical PhD programs. I was wondering what kind of an intro email did you send that led them to having meetings with you? Because, that is honestly an amazing achievement. 

No OP, but I just express interest in their work, draw parallels between my interests and theirs, and make my intention for the meeting clear. I say that if possible, I would like to schedule a Skype or phone call to determine if our interests are as aligned as I hope. 

Just a note...some people have a lot of success with scheduling meetings, but some PIs don't meeting with prospective applicants at all. Last year I was successful in scheduling a meeting with 2/10 PIs. The others did not meet with applicants but provided information over email. So I wouldn't get too discouraged if you aren't able to schedule meetings with PIs.

41 minutes ago, justacigar said:

No OP, but I just express interest in their work, draw parallels between my interests and theirs, and make my intention for the meeting clear. I say that if possible, I would like to schedule a Skype or phone call to determine if our interests are as aligned as I hope. 

Just a note...some people have a lot of success with scheduling meetings, but some PIs don't meeting with prospective applicants at all. Last year I was successful in scheduling a meeting with 2/10 PIs. The others did not meet with applicants but provided information over email. So I wouldn't get too discouraged if you aren't able to schedule meetings with PIs.

Thank you so much for the clear advice! I'll use it! 

On 8/22/2020 at 11:52 PM, EyelandPychePhD said:

I'm wondering what you did in the past year that made you a better candidate this time around? Were you able to publish more?

My strengths have always been around research output (I had a first author pub and paper presentation at an international conference last time I applied), but I had pretty limited experience in psychology and no clear research direction. I think the biggest improvements I've made are 1) working a full-time job with my population of interest, 2) taking all the basic psych classes that are recommended/required for various programs, and 3) having a clear, concise research interest.