HGSE 2021

29 minutes ago, CaitlynM said:

I was offered the same amount and a 5k work/study! I don't think appealing would lead anywhere, especially since they're being very conservative with funding this year; but it never hurts to try! 

I looked at last year’s posts and it seems as if 19 might be the max. But, as you said, it might not hurt to try. We’ll see.

6 hours ago, Anthony81 said:

I looked at last year’s posts and it seems as if 19 might be the max. But, as you said, it might not hurt to try. We’ll see.

6 hours ago, CaitlynM said:

I was offered the same amount and a 5k work/study! I don't think appealing would lead anywhere, especially since they're being very conservative with funding this year; but it never hurts to try! 

@CaitlynM@Anthony81 if you don’t mind sharing, I’m curious what your financial situations / income levels are? I was completely shocked I did not receive ANY need based grant aid or work study despite feeling that my income situation etc would warrant so.

1 hour ago, PhD2Be2020 said:

Same. I was so excited about HGSE, and now I'm not so sure.

@AnnieRUok 

@PhD2Be2020 

same. Only loans. Was pretty blindsided as I was expecting need based aid and hoping for merit aid. If you don’t mind me asking, you can DM me, what are your financial situations. Just curious to know how they are determining need for the 19k need based HGSE grant 

5 hours ago, DancingSPAM said:

Sorry you're in the same position. What program did you apply for?

*Virtual hugs*

I applied for LDIT. If I'm not mistaken, you applied for Arts in Education? Fingers crossed for all of us who are in this limbo. 

I tried searching for any information about those who were on HGSE Ed.M waitlist, but yeah haven't found comprehensive experience story in previous threads. Do you think we need to start HGSE waitlist thread? XD 

Edited by aiai

Hi folks! Off topic question for y’all, but I’m desperate- is anyone here going to the Penn GSE admitted students day event today? I registered twice and never got any Zoom info! Just looking for someone to share it with me so I can attend. Thank you!

On 3/20/2021 at 3:20 PM, DancingSPAM said:

Hi all....anyone else get a waitlist letter? I've been feeling in limbo since getting the news last week.

On 3/20/2021 at 8:39 PM, aiai said:

I got waitlisted too. I feel your pain.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:34 PM, wendynovak said:

same here, feel so painful for waiting!

Rooting for you all here! Hope each and every one of you get some great news soon!

On 3/21/2021 at 7:12 AM, aiai said:

*Virtual hugs*

I applied for LDIT. If I'm not mistaken, you applied for Arts in Education? Fingers crossed for all of us who are in this limbo. 

I tried searching for any information about those who were on HGSE Ed.M waitlist, but yeah haven't found comprehensive experience story in previous threads. Do you think we need to start HGSE waitlist thread? XD 

Just discovering this (amazing) thread. Did you ever start a waitlist thread? I'm in the same boat and would love to keep each other updated. 

8 hours ago, tbh216 said:

Just discovering this (amazing) thread. Did you ever start a waitlist thread? I'm in the same boat and would love to keep each other updated. 

Hi! I just created the thread here

HGSE Waitlist 2021 - Waiting it Out - The GradCafe Forums

We can give our stats and later on update if there's acceptance / rejection. Hopefully it will be helpful for future applicants as well. Fingers crossed for all of us. We can survive this limbo ❤️ 

On 3/23/2021 at 1:38 PM, DancingSPAM said:

*Virtual hugs back*

I applied for the HDE program with the Arts in Learning concentration. Fingers definitely crossed for us both, and for everyone else in the waitlist limbo.

I think a HGSE waitlist thread is a good idea! Lets do it! 

Finally I created one HGSE Waitlist 2021 - Waiting it Out - The GradCafe Forums ?

I will update my stats there, hopefully it can be helpful for future waitlisted applicants. See u there DancingSpam ?

On 3/24/2021 at 8:34 AM, wendynovak said:

same here, feel so painful for waiting!

*Hugs* we can survive this limbo ❤️ I just created the thread and we can update each other there. All the best for you and all of us ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 9:33 PM, aiai said:

Finally I created one HGSE Waitlist 2021 - Waiting it Out - The GradCafe Forums ?

I will update my stats there, hopefully it can be helpful for future waitlisted applicants. See u there DancingSpam ?

*Hugs* we can survive this limbo ❤️ I just created the thread and we can update each other there. All the best for you and all of us ?

Hoping all (or at least some) of you have some good news there in the last few weeks! Still cheering for each and every one of you! Keep your heads up!

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to thank each and every person here that was/is so supportive to one another during this process! Even though the results I got weren't what I wanted, so grateful for this community in general.

Planning to help future applicants by updating the admissions data that I helped updated from the work that @graciasadios started. If those that were admitted to HGSE for this year are willing to share their stats, that would be very helpful t me doing this.

So proud of all of you, and can't wait to see the amazing work that you all will accomplish!

23 minutes ago, AnnieRUok said:

Anyone had any luck with petitioning HGSE for additional financial aid? Thinking about petitioning, but don't want to waste my time if it is an automatic "no". 

I haven't tried officially, but I did e-mail them a few days after I got my package and asked if more aid was possible. They very politely told me that it usually takes an unexpected and drastic change in your life for them to grant you more aid (like your house burning down or you wind up in the hospital suddenly). Wish I had better news than this. ☹️

On 5/11/2021 at 12:16 PM, HiEdHopeful said:

I haven't tried officially, but I did e-mail them a few days after I got my package and asked if more aid was possible. They very politely told me that it usually takes an unexpected and drastic change in your life for them to grant you more aid (like your house burning down or you wind up in the hospital suddenly). Wish I had better news than this. ☹️

? Sad! I'll still try, because something did change in my life here. I'll let you know what news I get.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 2:24 AM, AnnieRUok said:

Sadly my petition was denied. ? May have to make a hard choice or two soon....do I jump in, do I try to defer, or do I reapply next year?

? Sorry this was the news you got! Whatever option you choose I am sure will be the best one for you. PLEASE reach out if you want to talk or for anything at all! Cheering you on here!

Hello. I’d like to apply to HGSE for a PhD in a few years using my GRE scores.

Their website seems to suggest that they won’t accept any GRE scores prior to September 1st of five years before the application deadline. So, for example, an earlier HGSE page says, “Ph.D. applicants interested in Fall 2020 admissions must submit official GRE scores from no earlier than September 1, 2014.” And the more recent GSAS page (redirected from the HGSE page since the Ph.D. is between both schools) says, “ GRE scores are valid for five years from the test date (i.e., taken earlier than September 1, 2015, for fall 2021 admission).”

So, this seems as though your scores have to be valid for the entirety of the application season. Even if your scores would have expired in October or November of 2015, you wouldn’t have been able to use it for fall 2021 admission, even if you were to submit them before the December 2020 Ph.D. application deadline.

So, is that correct then? Has anyone experienced having their scores rejected despite not actually being expired yet and having to retake the GRE test? I’m asking because I’m worried that my scores might be considered expired a few months earlier than the actual 5-year expiration, meaning that I’d either have to apply one year earlier than I had planned or retake the GRE altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 5:37 PM, nanakimmy9 said:

Hello. I’d like to apply to HGSE for a PhD in a few years using my GRE scores.

Their website seems to suggest that they won’t accept any GRE scores prior to September 1st of five years before the application deadline. So, for example, an earlier HGSE page says, “Ph.D. applicants interested in Fall 2020 admissions must submit official GRE scores from no earlier than September 1, 2014.” And the more recent GSAS page (redirected from the HGSE page since the Ph.D. is between both schools) says, “ GRE scores are valid for five years from the test date (i.e., taken earlier than September 1, 2015, for fall 2021 admission).”

So, this seems as though your scores have to be valid for the entirety of the application season. Even if your scores would have expired in October or November of 2015, you wouldn’t have been able to use it for fall 2021 admission, even if you were to submit them before the December 2020 Ph.D. application deadline.

So, is that correct then? Has anyone experienced having their scores rejected despite not actually being expired yet and having to retake the GRE test? I’m asking because I’m worried that my scores might be considered expired a few months earlier than the actual 5-year expiration, meaning that I’d either have to apply one year earlier than I had planned or retake the GRE altogether.

Hi there! I can't speak about the Ph.D. application specifically, but the admissions office in general is super helpful. Reach out to them and they tend to be very quick to reply. And with COVID, they might be willing to be more flexible about this than they have before.

Good luck when you apply! ?