2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

1 hour ago, WolfMan said:

What are the average acceptance rates for programs on par with Vanderbilt/Cornell? Like .5%-1%?

Cornell takes four per genre, Vanderbilt takes three. Given that I assume Cornell gets *slightly* more applications on the Ivy League/name recognition basis, they likely even out to both be less than 1%. The competition is fierce. 

6 minutes ago, jka0124 said:

Cornell takes four per genre, Vanderbilt takes three. Given that I assume Cornell gets *slightly* more applications on the Ivy League/name recognition basis, they likely even out to both be less than 1%. The competition is fierce. 

Damn if the acceptance rate is so ridiculously low it's hard for me to believe they take writers based solely on the quality of writing sample...because once you narrow down the application pool from 700 to 15, the difference in quality between those 15 is probably negligible. 

It would be cool if they gave you a ranking, so that if you missed the cut by a bit at least you'd know you were close to the top of the pile rather than the bottom.

Edited by WolfMan

Just now, WolfMan said:

Damn if the acceptance rate is so ridiculously low it's hard for me to believe they take writers based solely on the quality of writing sample...because once you narrow down the application pool from 700 to 15, the difference in quality between those 15 is probably negligible. 

That’s where subjectivity comes in. I highly recommend everyone read for literary magazines, if they can. Cutting 1000 pieces down to 3 seemed impossible until I, along with the rest of the staff, had to do it a few times a year. 

Just now, jka0124 said:

That’s where subjectivity comes in. I highly recommend everyone read for literary magazines, if they can. Cutting 1000 pieces down to 3 seemed impossible until I, along with the rest of the staff, had to do it a few times a year. 

What sort of factors came into play when winnowing down the final ten down to three? Did it have to do with how well the writing suited the aesthetic of the journal? 

23 hours ago, panglosian said:

Hi there! First time commenter, long time lurker on this thread. I was wondering, has anyone heard from UMass yet? I saw a few days ago that someone had posted they'd gotten an interview and based on past responses it seems late january-early february is when we should be hearing. I'm losing my mind over here.

I think that two people mentioned having interviews related to TA funding earlier this month in Draft. In the past, it seems like they conducted these interviews *after* accepting folks. Apparently no one has been accepted yet, but I'm guessing that those with interviews are going to get an offer. Obviously this is conjecture at this point! They could be asking for interviews in waves for all I know. Clearly I have too much time to think about this hahah

Just now, teasel said:

I think that two people mentioned having interviews related to TA funding earlier this month in Draft. In the past, it seems like they conducted these interviews *after* accepting folks. Apparently no one has been accepted yet, but I'm guessing that those with interviews are going to get an offer. Obviously this is conjecture at this point! They could be asking for interviews in waves for all I know. Clearly I have too much time to think about this hahah

Amen to that, I'm trying not to go stir-crazy waiting. I did a tarot spread (I'm a somewhat intermediate diviner, working towards becoming more advanced) addressing my first response and it didn't look favorable, but prompted me to keep my head up because positivity is coming afterwards! UMass would probably be that first response so... I can't say I'm surprised XD

Just now, panglosian said:

Amen to that, I'm trying not to go stir-crazy waiting. I did a tarot spread (I'm a somewhat intermediate diviner, working towards becoming more advanced) addressing my first response and it didn't look favorable, but prompted me to keep my head up because positivity is coming afterwards! UMass would probably be that first response so... I can't say I'm surprised XD

Yeah I totally hear ya... going absolutely nuts over here, too. I'm a professional reader and have been avoiding the cards for the time being for my own sanity. Once you start over-drawing, it ceases to have much meaning and just feeds anxiety : ) But it doesn't stop me from drawing a card here and there.

I think lots of folks are treating individual cards as "yes" or "no" response or even "bad" vs. "good," but this is a pretty shallow way of interpreting. Instead of asking them "will I get into xyz," it would probably be more helpful to ask a question like "what will my writing life look like in 2021" . It's all about the question you ask... they are powerful for self-development, but once we treat them like a magic eight ball they really just become an extension of our uncertainty.  If you feel like sharing the cards you received or want a mini reading (no charge, just for fun) let me know! Might be a fun way to kill some time 

Just now, Ydrl said:

Y’know, for some reason I thought that the typical rules of Monday and Friday results would apply. I know that the day isn’t over, but I’m not as convinced that today is a notification day.

There was a DePaul acceptance today, but that's all I've seen.

2 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Y’know, for some reason I thought that the typical rules of Monday and Friday results would apply. I know that the day isn’t over, but I’m not as convinced that today is a notification day.

It sounds like some folks get calls on the weekend and even after the standard 9-5, according to some vets at least. So who really knows lmao. I want to believe that there is a method to this madness, but with COVID and everything remote I have no clue what to expect 

Edit to add: I bet we'll be hearing a lot more this first week of February 

Edited by teasel

1 minute ago, teasel said:

It sounds like some folks get calls on the weekend and even after the standard 9-5, according to some vets at least. So who really knows lmao. I want to believe that there is a method to this madness, but with COVID and everything remote I have no clue what to expect 

Edit to add: I bet we'll be hearing a lot more this first week of February 

February 1st is probably going to be nuts for a lot of people. It better be one of us or I’m gonna implode.

11 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

February 1st is probably going to be nuts for a lot of people. It better be one of us or I’m gonna implode.

I really underestimated how stressful this would be. I'm actually writing this from my bed haha. I haven't been rejected anywhere yet, but I'm already kind of depressed... I'm finding it really hard to be motivated to do much of anything. It's hard to talk with friends because they're so incredibly supportive, but I also feel that they don't understand the kind of pressure and competition involved in this process. 

It would be so much easier if we could go to a coffee shop to write or get lunch with a friend. Hard to feel motivated when my only option is to walk 30 feet over to my desk in the other room hahah. I'm so listless! Jealous of applicants in previous rounds who were at least able to go to a bar 

Edited by teasel

My personal 'pay-attention-for-results' time is March 15th, so in my head I'm planning not to expect anything till then. Does this work when I get a spam caller from Louisiana mid-day? No, it does not. But for the most part, it really does help me hold back on the anxiety/anticipation quite a bit.

The Ides of March, yall: let's HODL ourselves together until all the knives come crashing down then...

(This is an optimistic post? I swear I was going to make this optimistic...)

43 minutes ago, teasel said:

Yeah I totally hear ya... going absolutely nuts over here, too. I'm a professional reader and have been avoiding the cards for the time being for my own sanity. Once you start over-drawing, it ceases to have much meaning and just feeds anxiety : ) But it doesn't stop me from drawing a card here and there.

I think lots of folks are treating individual cards as "yes" or "no" response or even "bad" vs. "good," but this is a pretty shallow way of interpreting. Instead of asking them "will I get into xyz," it would probably be more helpful to ask a question like "what will my writing life look like in 2021" . It's all about the question you ask... they are powerful for self-development, but once we treat them like a magic eight ball they really just become an extension of our uncertainty.  If you feel like sharing the cards you received or want a mini reading (no charge, just for fun) let me know! Might be a fun way to kill some time 

Yeah that was a simplification of the real reading, I have been trying to read more broadly. I agree, there is no bad and good in the cards, just a sliding scale in gray. Glad to have met another enthusiast :)

4 minutes ago, panglosian said:

Yeah that was a simplification of the real reading, I have been trying to read more broadly. I agree, there is no bad and good in the cards, just a sliding scale in gray. Glad to have met another enthusiast :)

Also just wanted to clarify that I wasn't meaning to imply that you were reading on a surface level!! I was actually thinking about some folks in Draft who were interpreting things as yes/no answers. I say this as someone who is currently looking at astrology videos online.... I really should be directing my advice towards myself lmao 

18 minutes ago, teasel said:

Also just wanted to clarify that I wasn't meaning to imply that you were reading on a surface level!! I was actually thinking about some folks in Draft who were interpreting things as yes/no answers. I say this as someone who is currently looking at astrology videos online.... I really should be directing my advice towards myself lmao 

Oh no it's okay, I didn't take it that way at all!! I love having conversations about divining

1 hour ago, Graceful Entropy said:

My personal 'pay-attention-for-results' time is March 15th, so in my head I'm planning not to expect anything till then. 

Same here. Maybe slightly earlier... like first week of March. I applied to two schools with a Feb 1 deadline, one of them being my first choice. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have results until April. In that case, I am not sure I will make it sane until then. ?

In the meantime, the new semester has started everywhere. If you're on the mailing list of a lot of the programs, you should see a lot of readings coming up. Good distractions and good free writing lessons! 

Edited by M-Lin

42 minutes ago, pattycat said:

Anyone here apply to UMich (Helen Zell)? My Applyweb portal has a new option on it to submit an official transcript via Certifile. I'm sure everyone else has this as well, but just wanted to make sure.

I just checked - I have that option as well. 

1 hour ago, pattycat said:

Anyone here apply to UMich (Helen Zell)? My Applyweb portal has a new option on it to submit an official transcript via Certifile. I'm sure everyone else has this as well, but just wanted to make sure.

I have it too. Maybe we all got in! ??