2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

13 minutes ago, Graceful Entropy said:

Well friends, I did not get the Welches ready quick enough. But in the back of my fridge there has been a single beer, leftover from a six pack given to me four years ago, on the day I quit my good job in insurance with not much more of a plan other than to focus on my life and writing. So upon receiving a FULLY-FUNDED OFFER last night I cracked that bish open and drained the final vestige of that life I once knew.
And it was very, very good.

WOO-HOO!!!! That beer had to have been amazing. Congratulations!!!

Where did you get in?

21 minutes ago, Graceful Entropy said:

Well friends, I did not get the Welches ready quick enough. But in the back of my fridge there has been a single beer, leftover from a six pack given to me four years ago, on the day I quit my good job in insurance with not much more of a plan other than to focus on my life and writing. So upon receiving a FULLY-FUNDED OFFER last night I cracked that bish open and drained the final vestige of that life I once knew.

AWESOME! I second @pattycat; spill the beans!

26 minutes ago, Graceful Entropy said:

Congratulations!!

20 minutes ago, pattycat said:

WOO-HOO!!!! That beer had to have been amazing. Congratulations!!!

Where did you get in?

Western Michigan University! I was thoroughly surprised by how quick their response was as I'm pretty sure their deadline was open until mid-Jan. 

Also, you'll have to be disappointed in a form of continued anonymity that I was not the WMU acceptance in the Draft group. This announcement is here and here alone; I'm rather more fond of yall ;)

Edited by Graceful Entropy
fix small things

58 minutes ago, Graceful Entropy said:

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats. Important things need to be said thrice!!! =D

I JUST GOT INTO UW MADISON!!! ......... for computer science, hah. I got offered full funding as TA for their PhD program. I know this is for MFAs, but I'm so excited I had to share. This is my first response out of the 12 schools I applied to, and it is really competitive in CS. I can't believe it!!

3 minutes ago, tippybug said:

I JUST GOT INTO UW MADISON!!! ......... for computer science, hah. I got offered full funding as TA for their PhD program. I know this is for MFAs, but I'm so excited I had to share. This is my first response out of the 12 schools I applied to, and it is really competitive in CS. I can't believe it!!

You're amazing!!!! Congratulations!!! Oh my gosh, how cool would it be if literally every single one of us got into our programs??? And for a PhD that is AMAZING. Yo. Do you think you're going to go for your PhD or MFA?

2 hours ago, Graceful Entropy said:

Woohoo!!!! Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you, and congratulations on your success. Hope that beer was downright delicious. :D

1 hour ago, M-Lin said:

To whoever is willing to share, how was your acceptance communicated? Phone? Mail? E-mail (personal e-mail, form acceptance, e-mail to check application status)? Homing pigeon? Tele-pathetically, somehow? 

While I know this won't rival Draft's pizza superstition, mine actually came by phone call... on the day my phone was dead and I had no charger.
So the director left a voicemail, but then also emailed me later that afternoon, like, 'Yo, we should chat. Also, most people respond back to these pretty quickly, do I have your right number?'

After that I was still in the dark until the phone tag finally hit and she told me over the phone, while I blabbered and said nothing productive. Writers, amiright?

Via Draft there is an acceptance to Indiana and an acceptance to an unspecified school in Virginia. Not sure whether the latter is UVA, Virginia Tech, Hollins, or something else.

4 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Via Draft there is an acceptance to Indiana and an acceptance to an unspecified school in Virginia. Not sure whether the latter is UVA, Virginia Tech, Hollins, or something else.

Could be George Mason tbh, it’s the only Virginia school that I’ve seen notify on here (thought that doesn’t mean much). If it’s V Tech this early I’m gonna assume my true form as a ball of anxiety.

Edited by Ydrl

8 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

First acceptance from one of my schools. Cue stomach ache and overwhelming grief. 

6 minutes ago, pattycat said:

First acceptance from one of my schools. Cue stomach ache and overwhelming grief. 

Unless it's George Mason, as @ydlr suggested! I didn't realize Mason was in Virginia, and there have been other acceptances mentioned there.

1 minute ago, mrvisser said:

Unless it's George Mason, as @ydlr suggested! I didn't realize Mason was in Virginia, and there have been other acceptances mentioned there.

I meant Indiana. But yeah, I think she was talking about GM

Edited by pattycat
typo

14 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Comments are saying it is George Mason. That Indiana piece seems like a big one. I was very close to applying there.

To be honest, I’m kicking myself for not applying to: Indiana, George Mason, and Miami OH. They were all on my list of 26 this year. Why am I the way that I am?

18 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

To be honest, I’m kicking myself for not applying to: Indiana, George Mason, and Miami OH. They were all on my list of 26 this year. Why am I the way that I am?

I think—for me, at least—it's really easy in hindsight to ask why one didn't apply to other schools, especially once acceptances roll in. I see how excited people are and I think, I could have gotten in and I should have tried! Like, why did I end up not applying to Indiana and choosing to apply to Ole Miss? I'm happy about applying to Ole Miss, but at this point I can't remember how I narrowed it into my list of seven. Which is why I'm also going down the 20-something applications route for next year if this year doesn't work out. 

Agh, unrelated tangent: I'm currently staying a few days at the Oregon Coast (in an isolated, COVID-safe manner), and I thought it would be a nice way to distract myself from MFA stuff, and at times it is, but I walk around and look at Victorian houses and oceanside cliffs and it all just brings me back to writing. Goddammit.  

3 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Because you're human and only have so much time and energy. ;) 

You did great. You've got this. You're going to be okay, promise. ❤️

38 minutes ago, Yellow62 said:

On Feb 3 2020, the application thread got to page 19. On Feb 3 2021, the application thread is at page 44. This season is going to be insanely competitive, isn't it? 

I think it also just shows that we're generating some good conversations here.

Plus, between Feb 3 last year and Feb 3 this year, there's a world of difference. Let's say, Feb 3 2020 was in the "before-time", and now we're in the "after-time". And with that, the individual anxiety level and the collective need of community has risen in tandem.