2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Someone says they were rejected from the University of Washington, not through email, but by checking the site. I just checked and my status just says my application has been received and will be reviewed, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:10 PM, Graceful Entropy said:

*Throws glass across the room* HUZZAH!

Thank you!!!!

On 2/2/2021 at 3:55 PM, eternalwhitenights said:

You're amazing!!!! Congratulations!!! Oh my gosh, how cool would it be if literally every single one of us got into our programs??? And for a PhD that is AMAZING. Yo. Do you think you're going to go for your PhD or MFA?

Thank you!!! I hope we all get into our dream schools ❤️ my heart definitely belongs to creative writing, so if I get a fully funded offer to an MFA program, I don't think I'll be able to turn it down. But I'm pretty stoked on this offer, so if none of my MFA options are great, I will definitely be taking it. Plus, i LOVE Madison, WI. Such a cute, hipstery, liberal town... omg... ❤️ 

4 hours ago, pattycat said:

I also wonder if it's because FSU's app fee is only $30 and it had a late deadline. Makes it an easy add-on for someone already applying other places.

Is this true for a lot of Florida schools? I applied to UCF in CS and was amazed by its low application fee. The second cheapest program I applied to was, like, $75, and several were $105.

Edited by tippybug
Forgot a word...

15 minutes ago, tippybug said:

Is this true for a lot of Florida schools? I applied to UCF in CS and was amazed by its low application fee. The second cheapest program I applied to was, like, $75, and several were $105.

USF and UF were each $30 or $35 if I remember correctly, so yes that does seem to be a commonality.

1 hour ago, mrvisser said:

Someone says they were rejected from the University of Washington, not through email, but by checking the site. I just checked and my status just says my application has been received and will be reviewed, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

That’s what mine says too- seeing the reported rejection definitely got my heart rate up though!

2 hours ago, pattycat said:

Ha! I grew up in Indiana and most of my writing is set there. And yes, it is full of mostly corn, soybeans, and despair. 

I lived in Bloomington for three years, though, and it is actually quite a lovely town. There's a Burmese restaurant there that I always stop at when I'm in the area and IU campus is gorgeous.

I also grew up in the Midwest and most of MY writing is full of corn, soybeans, and despair! *extends hands to shake* 

2 hours ago, Ophelias pansies said:

Anyone who applied to Helen Zell (Michigan,Ann Arbor) the "How to Apply" page updated and said that decisions will be made in early March! Hope this eases some February nerves! :)

This actually stresses me out more lol. I want my rejection already. Give it to me straight, doc!

2 minutes ago, Yellow62 said:

This actually stresses me out more lol. I want my rejection already. Give it to me straight, doc!

I hit the REJECT ME ALREADY, YOU COWARDS wall about a month ago. I've been living on dread and Little Debbie oatmeal snack cakes. 

I feel so lucky that I got an acceptance a week ago because the SPIRAL, people. THE SPIRAL. 

Edited by JPReinhold

Saw this Tweet from MFA Writers Podcast. I think it’s great advice for the coming weeks. Best wishes to all of y’all!

“As MFA decision letters start to roll in, two reminders:

1. Be kind to yourself. Your personhood is unrelated to a program decision.

2. Be kind to others. Your safety school is another person's dream school.“

1 hour ago, JPReinhold said:

I hit the REJECT ME ALREADY, YOU COWARDS wall about a month ago. I've been living on dread and Little Debbie oatmeal snack cakes. 

I feel so lucky that I got an acceptance a week ago because the SPIRAL, people. THE SPIRAL. 

Oh yes, the spiral is in full effect right now :) Congratulations on the acceptance tho!!!

I’m so mad right now. One of my recommenders went dead silent two months ago and I was like, well he sent his recommendations in all at once, so I should be fine. Today I realized that he didn’t send in anything for Rutgers or UNO. I don’t care too much about UNO because it was free and the funding isn’t great, but Rutgers was 70 dollars. Why.

Hi all.  I applied to Cornell's Comp Lit program and didn't get asked to interview, but did not get a rejection letter yesterday, which it seems a lot of people did.  Thoughts on this conundrum?  Not sure how Cornell usually goes about admissions.  Assuming rejection and wondering if I should solicit if I don't hear anything back within the next week or so.  

1 minute ago, rivermoon said:

Hi all.  I applied to Cornell's Comp Lit program and didn't get asked to interview, but did not get a rejection letter yesterday, which it seems a lot of people did.  Thoughts on this conundrum?  Not sure how Cornell usually goes about admissions.  Assuming rejection and wondering if I should solicit if I don't hear anything back within the next week or so.  

Ah, this is the MFA creative writing program forum. But if Cornell does it like they did for MFA applicants last year, they do rejections all at once.

1 minute ago, rivermoon said:

Hey there! You might be better off asking this in the Humanities/Eng PHD thread. The majority of us are applying to creating writing MFA's, so we won't be able to answer you with much specificity. For what it's worth, I would take it as a good sign that you haven't been rejected yet--maybe they are interviewing people in waves. 

3 hours ago, mrvisser said:

Yeah, I noticed that as well and it seems kinda early? I checked my portal, and all it says is that they received everything basically. Might be the Bothell campus? Also, I think UW is a bit more demanding with their qualifications. 3.0 GPA, critical sample... wondering if maybe that has something to do with it. It's shitty that they would reject someone without sending an email. 

5 minutes ago, teasel said:

Yeah, I noticed that as well and it seems kinda early? I checked my portal, and all it says is that they received everything basically. Might be the Bothell campus? Also, I think UW is a bit more demanding with their qualifications. 3.0 GPA, critical sample... wondering if maybe that has something to do with it. It's shitty that they would reject someone without sending an email. 

I don't think they fund all their MFAs, either, which is too bad. But I would hate for my first rejection to come from my alma mater, lol.

41 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

I don't think they fund all their MFAs, either, which is too bad. But I would hate for my first rejection to come from my alma mater, lol.

Yeah, the funding situations is confusing! I was under the impression that they fund their students with TA positions? But maybe that's not entirely true... it's generally talked about as a "funded" program. UW isn't my alma mater, but I have publications and awards specific to WA state, so if I don't get in at UW I'm not sure I'll get in anywhere :')  It's basically my "safety school" (though of course, there is no such thing and I'd be honored and very grateful to attend--I mean "safety" as in I feel I have a better change of being admitted there than anywhere else). 

Edited by teasel

Just now, WolfMan said:

Do you guys realize that trolls can post fake acceptances just to fuck with ya'll

This has definitely crossed my mind. Yeah, it's not very hard to mess with MFA app folks. We're a neurotic bunch to start with ;) 

3 minutes ago, WolfMan said:

Do you guys realize that trolls can post fake acceptances just to fuck with ya'll

I hate to imagine the loser who has the time and energy for that lol. I mean trying to fuck with grad school applicants...? I feel like that's as exciting as fucking with senior night bingo

25 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Ah, this is the MFA creative writing program forum. But if Cornell does it like they did for MFA applicants last year, they do rejections all at once.

25 minutes ago, teasel said:

Hey there! You might be better off asking this in the Humanities/Eng PHD thread. The majority of us are applying to creating writing MFA's, so we won't be able to answer you with much specificity. For what it's worth, I would take it as a good sign that you haven't been rejected yet--maybe they are interviewing people in waves. 

Thank you all so much!! Good luck with your applications!!

42 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I’m so mad right now. One of my recommenders went dead silent two months ago and I was like, well he sent his recommendations in all at once, so I should be fine. Today I realized that he didn’t send in anything for Rutgers or UNO. I don’t care too much about UNO because it was free and the funding isn’t great, but Rutgers was 70 dollars. Why.

I was in a similar situation with one of my letter writers. I got in touch with the individual schools and they were able to give me some reassurance and advice. Maybe try reaching out? I sort of feel like they may be a bit more lenient because of covid so it doesn't hurt to call :)