2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Just now, ophelia 2 said:

You're not in limbo. You should have long ago made plans presuming your rejection. People don't want to accept that MFA's first give the acceptances, then wait lists, then rejects. Alright, so one guy says he was accepted to Iowa in April. Probably everyone on the wait list got a seat, and they hold back telling a few rejects as a back up wait list. It was like winning the lottery. Emerge today from denial. Make plans. 

Uh...nice to see you again??? Please leave.

19 minutes ago, Embrittled-by-Wait said:

Did they say -- or even wink, nod at the possibility-- of any more acceptances, or is it just the usual raft of rejections sent out in letter form? Not tryna read too much into it, but if it were just blanket Noes, they'd probably say so, right? I mean, why string you along with deliberate vagueness?

But then, why call some people and ink letters to others? And why such a large gulf of time in-between?

Agh. I need some kind of closure. 

Here's what they said exactly:

"Because of COVID-19 decision letters have been pushed back by a week or so.  If you haven’t heard by the end of March, then email me and tell me to send you a copy by email."

Ah yes, Brown.

How many did we accept this year?  Two?  Three?  Maybe four, if we felt magnanimous?

Haha!  Guess this only realistically leaves Boston University for me, although I reckon I may be putting my eggs in a basket that's also not taking many or even wants them.

So glad I have an entire month of waiting left to find out.

Thrilled.

3 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

Haven't seen "Guildenstern," either. I prefer them as a pair.

Yeah! I would have expected my angsty son Hamlet to come waltzing in here by now too! Seems fitting if he showed up! (P.S: new here, I'm a MFA Creative Nonfiction human!)

2 minutes ago, lenagator1997 said:

Yeah! I would have expected my angsty son Hamlet to come waltzing in here by now too! Seems fitting if he showed up! (P.S: new here, I'm a MFA Creative Nonfiction human!)

Hamlet, that angsty little cluck.. And welcome!

Here is the difference between me and the rest of you. I too just got a tweet from the President. Guess what? I'm not even faving it. Only the First Lady sometimes gives a personalized invitation to the annual White House barbecue. And I already know what the President's tweet is going to say. So, to those who are still clinging to delusion, take note there is one gal not even grilling anymore.  

9 minutes ago, ophelia 2 said:

I say this truly. With poetry like that, I'm surprised U Wash even wait listed you. 

Honestly dude I was going to take the high road and ignore you. But you are literally the most pathetic person I've ever interacted with. I sincerely hope you come back year after year because no program wants you. You deserve nothing but rejection after rejection because you have the personality of a wet sock. And what's up with the evil twin bit? Like what type of empty life do you have to have to spend all day on a website acting like a Disney channel villain.  You are pathetic and I personally can't wait for karma to come for you. And trust me people like you always get their comeuppance. 

*Also bye guys if this gets flagged and I'm removed. You've all been wonderful but I've been itching to tell this guy off. Unlike him I've got a life and I'm not interested in making more than one account (you know like a loser).*

41 minutes ago, rcsteel said:

Here's what they said exactly:

"Because of COVID-19 decision letters have been pushed back by a week or so.  If you haven’t heard by the end of March, then email me and tell me to send you a copy by email."

Thank you! Appreciate you for reaching out and relaying to us the latest.

14 minutes ago, ophelia 2 said:

You don't understand Iowa's system. Acceptances are always by phone. The secretary does not like telling people they are rejects. So she says the decision will be in the mail, and if you don't get it in a few weeks, she will email it. No one has ever been accepted by mail or email. You can call the secretary a fraud, but it is a lot of work telling lots of people they are rejects. 

OK, firstly, no one was accusing anyone of being a fraud, and opting to send rejections by mail could never be construed as fraudulency. Also, why quote rcsteel? They were only transcribing the email they got from Iowa for my benefit. What's more, Iowa definitely has sent out acceptances by mail; in the past, e.g., under the directorship of Frank Conroy, they were exclusively sent that way. This year's extenuating circumstances might very well call for mail-delivered acceptances. The point is, until the official word's gone out, no one knows.

36 minutes ago, Ophelias pansies said:

Fair warning Brown rejections are rolling in! ? Good luck y'all and remember these decisions don't define you!

I don’t see yet any waitlist or acceptances for Brown on results page. I assume the notification they just sent is all rejection as accepted candidates would have been called before? 

34 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

Yup, just got mine lol. 

Just now, Boomer not Ok said:

I don’t see yet any waitlist or acceptances for Brown on results page. I assume the notification they just sent is all rejection as accepted candidates would have been called before? 

38 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

It might be a last name thing? I'm pretty early in the alphabet. 

19 minutes ago, ophelia 2 said:

I say this truly. With poetry like that, I'm surprised U Wash even wait listed you. 

Is trolling and being a douche on a forum for people just trying to talk about the process of applying to MFAs really that satisfying? Seriously, dude, who hurt you?

17 hours ago, Downtozero said:

Is this the poet that posts in Draft? I thought they went for an MA first, not an MFA. That's different and is an ok option I think for people who aren't ready for an MFA (though personally the idea of spending that long in grad school is mind-boggling to me...practically a decade if you go for your PhD as well...)

If you're talking about someone else, disregard!

yes, I am talking about someone else! this is someone I went to undergrad with. 

4 minutes ago, ophelia 2 said:

Oh, my fellow Ophelia, well, I too won't take the high road and ignore  you. Instead, I'll say your words brightened my day. There is an inkling of poetry in them. There is enough to convey real emotion. I may think back to them one day for inspiration with my own writing. No one is going to report you. Jeez.

Ridiculous. Delusional. Plenty of people have already reported getting the acceptance call and the waitlist mail. 

Remember folks, if your truths have been hard for more than four hours, it's time to call the doctor.

Edited by fireflystasis