2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

As my rejections for my first application cycle roll in, I'm starting to prep for next year. I'd love to hear opinions from fiction applications, especially anyone with an acceptance this year: is it better to apply with a collection of short fiction or an excerpt from a novel? 

2 hours ago, Downtozero said:

Iowa is so mysterious, with each day that passes I'm like, okay surely they must be done calling accepted students....but so few acceptances have been posted?? Patiently waiting for my letter at this point.

Same. Someone on draft reported receiving a waitlist notification letter in the mail, but I was under the impression the waitlisted people aren't notified until all acceptance calls have gone out? And it is possible all the calls have gone out, but only a handful of people in each genre have reported those acceptances between here and draft...Is it possible 40 out of 50 people who were accepted aren't on these sites? 100%. Is it a reality I want to accept right now? Not exactly...

Just now, Yellow62 said:

Same. Someone on draft reported receiving a waitlist notification letter in the mail, but I was under the impression the waitlisted people aren't notified until all acceptance calls have gone out? And it is possible all the calls have gone out, but only a handful of people in each genre have reported those acceptances between here and draft...Is it possible 40 out of 50 people who were accepted aren't on these sites? 100%. Is it a reality I want to accept right now? Not exactly...

Yup, saw that waitlist and am now feeling pretty confident acceptances must be finished. ?

Thank you to anyone who offered to check up on VCU for me! Unfortunately I did email them today about their notification timeline and they sent me a very polite email back letting me know that notifications were finished and that I was not chosen. He also said that he specifically wanted to let me know now in case I needed to make decisions accordingly, since they reject by mail. Honestly, the best rejection I've gotten so far!

PS: if you have not gotten a notification from them for acceptance or waitlist, you can come chill in the Commiseration Corner with me ❤️  

1 hour ago, Downtozero said:

Yup, saw that waitlist and am now feeling pretty confident acceptances must be finished. ?

Not necessarily - for example on draft there was an ASU candidate that was waitlisted last week (I think maybe tuesday?) and someone else was accepted saturday night. I think we just gotta wait it out!! 

Edited by nottheamazonalexa

Has anyone emailed Iowa inquiring? I think they're not averse to it, anyway. They make a little note on the application saying, If you have any questions regarding the status of your App, send us an email -- or something to that effect. 

Might be worth doing. I personally lack the bravery to do it, let alone the steeliness to endure, by way of response, a rejection. But someone else? the more emboldened among us perhaps?

(I'm half-joking, of course. If there are no others willing, I'll be the canary. Begrudgingly, but I'll do it.)

I'm assuming that Brown and UW are finished with their poetry acceptances, so I've been eagerly awaiting hearing from Purdue, after which point I'll be more or less done. I'm really hoping they send out decisions soon -- all this late notifying isn't good for my health.

6 minutes ago, Embrittled-by-Wait said:

Has anyone emailed Iowa inquiring? I think they're not averse to it, anyway. They make a little note on the application saying, If you have any questions regarding the status of your App, send us an email -- or something to that effect. 

Might be worth doing. I personally lack the bravery to do it, let alone the steeliness to endure, by way of response, a rejection. But someone else? the more emboldened among us perhaps?

(I'm half-joking, of course. If there are no others willing, I'll be the canary. Begrudgingly, but I'll do it.)

I support anyone willing to be the canary. I keep going outside and checking my mail in the off-chance there's some snail mail coming my way.

I can't believe this, but I just got my first acceptance. I got an email from the University of Maryland, with details of TAship. I am so happy. My heart is pounding its way out of my chest right now. I'm shaking and crying, and my heart won't stop pounding. I can't believe it happened. I am so overjoyed, I can barely type, or move, or breathe. I am so happy. It feels unreal.

Edited by Jjayy

1 minute ago, Jjayy said:

I can't believe this, but I just got my first acceptance. I got an email from the University of Maryland, with details of TAship. I am so happy. My heart is going pounding its way out of my chest right now. I'm shaking and crying, and my heart won't stop pounding. I can't believe it happened. I am so overjoyed, I can barely type, or move, or breathe. I am so happy. It feels unreal.

CONGRATS

3 minutes ago, Jjayy said:

I can't believe this, but I just got my first acceptance. I got an email from the University of Maryland, with details of TAship. I am so happy. My heart is going pounding its way out of my chest right now. I'm shaking and crying, and my heart won't stop pounding. I can't believe it happened. I am so overjoyed, I can barely type, or move, or breathe. I am so happy. It feels unreal.

That's wonderful! Congrats!

3 minutes ago, Jjayy said:

Congrats! The program seems great, and we love a win.

Hi everyone, 

Longtime listener, first time caller here. I saw a post about UCR last week and I'm wondering if anyone has seen any movement with either Riverside or Irvine on draft this week? Don't have FB and so I'm relegated to the sidelines.

Any info would be very much appreciated--I seem to have tapped out my remaining reserves of calm and patience after another rejection this am.

4 hours ago, gmcc93 said:

What does yours look like? Mine just says In Review still 2063059359_ScreenShot2021-03-08at1_08_30PM.png.ddab05f69fcd9a392a48c350b1d1c9ba.png

Thank you so much for posting this! This is the page that I've seen others post, but I cannot seem to access this view at all. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. Attached is a screenshot of my portal view. 

ApplyTexas.org portal 3.8.21.png

20 minutes ago, Desert_Dessert said:

Hi everyone, 

Longtime listener, first time caller here. I saw a post about UCR last week and I'm wondering if anyone has seen any movement with either Riverside or Irvine on draft this week? Don't have FB and so I'm relegated to the sidelines.

Any info would be very much appreciated--I seem to have tapped out my remaining reserves of calm and patience after another rejection this am.

I haven't heard anything from Riverside. I've been checking my portal every few hours...

1 minute ago, goodcynara said:

Thank you so much for posting this! This is the page that I've seen others post, but I cannot seem to access this view at all. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. Attached is a screenshot of my portal view. 

ApplyTexas.org portal 3.8.21.png

I think you might be on the ApplyTexas site. You want to look at your MyStatus page:

https://admissions.utexas.edu/mystatus

22 minutes ago, Desert_Dessert said:

Hi everyone, 

I applied to both in poetry and have heard nothing personally. I did see one UCR poetry acceptance a week or so ago -- on Twitter, I believe? I vaguely recall one UCI acceptance in fiction, but I can't quote my source.

4 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

I applied to both in poetry and have heard nothing personally. I did see one UCR poetry acceptance a week or so ago -- on Twitter, I believe? I vaguely recall one UCI acceptance in fiction, but I can't quote my source.

Thanks for the info! Good, if scary, to know both are letting people know already. 

10 minutes ago, omgalexx said:

I haven't heard anything from Riverside. I've been checking my portal every few hours...

Same! Hoping I don't break it -- or it, me. 

4 minutes ago, Desert_Dessert said:

Thanks for the info! Good, if scary, to know both are letting people know already. 

Same! Hoping I don't break it -- or it, me. 

There's conjecture on Draft that UC schools must comply with layers of bureaucratic protocol before notifying. Perhaps this contributes to the delay?

2 minutes ago, susweekly said:

Stupid question: can anyone tell me how to access your "inbox" on here. I got a notification that one of y'all sent me a private message (had no idea about this feature) but I can't seem to find my inbox anywhere ? 

I assume it's the little envelope icon in the top right hand corner? 

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/messenger/

Well, sent an email asking about decisions to U-Wash (Seattle) earlier and just got this reply.

"The initial offers have gone out from both the poetry and prose committees. Because our offers involve funding, accepted applicants have until April 15th to let us know their decision although we hope they will tell us sooner. Given our funding, we cannot make new offers until we've heard the decisions of these initial applicants.
Waitlisted applicants will be notified by email from the Director of Creative Writing. These have not gone out yet. But if you do not receive a waitlist email you will probably not receive an offer this year although we will not deny anyone until we are close to getting our class.  
Thank you for your patience during this process."

Guess that's a nope.

Edited by fireflystasis