2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

25 minutes ago, babypoet2k said:

this is only based on my somewhat informed guesstimation, but it seems to me that their portal is limited in function. last week, they could only send out a few rejections and waitlists, so tbh it could very well be that your portal is one of the few that got left out this time and will be updated next friday. my impatient ass is not going to expect you to or tell you to wait until next friday in hopes of a portal update lol. you could just email alissa for the letter. i'm sure they can send a pdf through.

LOL that thought had also crossed my mind!! I was trying to see if there was any correlating experience of notification delays for that exact reason. Good to know my process of rational deduction is at least kicking still. ;) 

Edited by eternalwhitenights

If any of us ever made to an adcom of an MFA program someday, we could try to fix/revolutionize many bumps in this whole application process. And I think one of them is - portals are useless (at least in my experience lol)

56 minutes ago, babypoet2k said:

this is only based on my somewhat informed guesstimation, but it seems to me that their portal is limited in function. last week, they could only send out a few rejections and waitlists, so tbh it could very well be that your portal is one of the few that got left out this time and will be updated next friday. my impatient ass is not going to expect you to or tell you to wait until next friday in hopes of a portal update lol. you could just email alissa for the letter. i'm sure they can send a pdf through.

My ass is impatient, too. I emailed Alissa. Ain't nobody got time for unnecessary waves of emotional cartwheeling. ✌️

3 hours ago, susweekly said:

I have a feeling Brooklyn College is going to notify acceptances today (or tomorrow.) thank god I have to work today otherwise I would be refreshing my inbox like I was trying to book a vaccine. 

Josh did say it could also be early next week (which, I hope, means Monday!) And I just looked up in the results, acceptances tend to be phone calls! So no need to refresh your inbox, just make sure you're staring at your phone screen all day ?

5 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

Josh did say it could also be early next week (which, I hope, means Monday!) And I just looked up in the results, acceptances tend to be phone calls! So no need to refresh your inbox, just make sure you're staring at your phone screen all day ?

Roger that: My phone is surgically attached to my hand. I’m hoping that the poetry acceptance bodes well for us hearing back today. I just keep telling myself that in all likelihood, the decision has already been made, our fates are sealed etc etc 

29 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

If any of us ever made to an adcom of an MFA program someday, we could try to fix/revolutionize many bumps in this whole application process. And I think one of them is - portals are useless (at least in my experience lol)

I do plan to teach grad school someday (which would make me part of an adcom I suppose). Not all of the portals are useless, WashU rejections show up on the portal first.

While we're waiting for news, let's talk publications. Anyone have anything published online they'd be willing to share? (I'll have to come back and do this from a computer. I'm on my phone on my lunch break right now.)

Edited by cecsav
comma

1 minute ago, cecsav said:

While we're waiting for news, let's talk publications. Anyone have anything published online they'd be willing to share? (I'll have to come back and do this from a computer. I'm on my phone on my lunch break right now.)

I’m still waiting on three journals. Colorado Review should give me an answer somewhere between the end of this month and the end of May at the latest. When I submitted to them as an undergrad they encouraged me to submit again. Although I have a new name, so they won’t recognize me.

20 hours ago, panglosian said:

I'm sweating, hearing about the Brown acceptance and the VCU waitlist all in one day. If anyone knows anything about whether or not I should still hope for VCU, PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANK YOU

19 hours ago, Greel said:

I heard from VCU on Monday. Not sure if they’re done notifying or not. I have a call with them coming up so I can ask!

I am zooming with them on Thursday - also happy to ask, if you haven't by then!

43 minutes ago, cecsav said:

I've got a poem out in the first issue of BAG Magazine. https://www.bagmagazine.space/s/GD-Harkavy-Poetry.pdf

All the stuff I sent in my writing sample was in this zone. Totally a risk but I wanted to represent myself as genuinely as I possibly could.

37 minutes ago, gmcc93 said:

I've got a poem out in the first issue of BAG Magazine. https://www.bagmagazine.space/s/GD-Harkavy-Poetry.pdf

All the stuff I sent in my writing sample was in this zone. Totally a risk but I wanted to represent myself as genuinely as I possibly could.

umm might i say HOLY FUCKING SHIT and umm,,, i  ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!!! damn yall are talented as HECK ❤️

51 minutes ago, scenetwomenu said:

Hello! Has anyone who applied for fiction heard anything from Johns Hopkins? I saw there were a couple poetry rejections in Results. Have any poetry acceptances/waitlists gone out, too? 

A JHU undergrad asked and they said they should start sending out decisions within the next week.

Edited by rcsteel

Hey everyone! I found this forum back in 2019 for that application cycle and have checked in on and off. I applied to 7 schools for the 2019-2020 app season, got rejected by 6 and waitlisted at 1, UNC Wilmington. I ended up getting in to UNCW but sadly having to defer because of the pandemic among other things. I then decided to apply to 4 schools this app cycle that are closer in location to me, and have so far gotten into New England College and UMass Boston. I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on UMass Boston or knows anything about it that I might not? I don’t think I’ll be going to NEC just because I’m realizing the low residency model isn’t for me, though Chen Chen is a professor there and a great poet. I’m also pretty sure I’ll be emailing UNCW soon and telling them I can’t attend altogether, as much as the location and program appeal to me, they didn’t give me funding and it would be a huge move. I like UMB’s MFA program so far based on my research and what they’ve told me about it, but anyone’s thoughts would be welcome :) 

6 hours ago, cecsav said:

Idk if you're looking for more prestigious publications, but here's one of mine (I only used this for University of Houston's, since I published my "main" piece in their literary magazine and didn't want to share something they "might" have already read from me)

https://halfwaydownthestairs.net/2020/09/01/latency-by-ben-watson/

BTW, I'm in the boat of 8 applications, crickets from 7 of them and a rejection from one for a creative writing MFA, so wish me luck!

7 hours ago, cecsav said:

Here are a couple of mine:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theboilerjournal.com/2020/07/18/cecilia-savala/amp/

https://www.redflagpoetry.com/home/cecila-savala-trading-up

https://roadrunner.lasierra.edu/the-floods-dirtied-your-plans/

7 hours ago, gmcc93 said:

Oh my gosh, this poem moved me so much. You are insanely talented. That line, "in the underwater of a citronella candle"--it's one of those chef's kiss imagery encapsulations. Wow wow wow.

And your last line! It broke my heart. I got so emotionally invested in the narrator. You moved me. All the snaps to you. :)

On 3/5/2021 at 6:05 PM, mrvisser said:

You best quote me on it. Can't wait for next season, bud.

So remember your words. I can quote you. These are your  quotes about whether you will go to Iowa or Michener:

On 12/29/2020 at 10:24 AM, mrvisser said:

I have a tough time deciding this myself. Iowa has the name and prestige and all that, but, as you said, less money while also having teaching duties. Also, Austin is an awesome city with excellent weather, and I'd much rather live there than in Iowa City. I'm sure the instruction a student receives in Michener is very comparable to that of the IWW. That being said, I want to teach after MFA, and I think Iowa might look a bit better on a resume when applying to jobs, but who knows? I noticed from some of the department's video interviews that it seems like students are kept on at Iowa in some capacity after they graduate, so maybe there's some employment stability there.

On 1/11/2021 at 3:04 PM, mrvisser said:

I could really compete for a spot at Iowa or Michener

On 1/16/2021 at 11:14 AM, mrvisser said:

I think Michener has replaced Iowa as my number-one.