2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

13 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said:

I didn't get in to ND, unfortunately. ?However, this past week, I have discovered within myself more resilience than I knew I had, and I'm actually grateful to know that there is so much work I can do to really improve my craft over this next year, and then reapply

I’m not surprised that you don’t think all hope is lost. With me, all hope was lost a long time ago.

Just now, Gertrude. said:

I’m not surprised that you don’t think all hope is lost. With me, all hope was lost a long time ago.

Hey, how’s it going? What schools did you apply to again?

15 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said:

Congrats!!!!! That's amazing-sauce times a bjillion!!!! So proud of you!!!! *clinks glass*

I found out, from an email from the grad school coordinator via that email I sent, that I didn't get in to ND, unfortunately. ?However, this past week, I have discovered within myself more resilience than I knew I had, and I'm actually grateful to know that there is so much work I can do to really improve my craft over this next year, and then reapply to ND next year with a much more honed, focused application. I've attended enough virtual events they've held, both within their writing department and without, over these past several months, to know that it is exactly where I need to be for both personal and professional goals, so, I'm going to get some sleep, maybe cry a little bit more, and then reassess my next steps when it comes to income generation and story writing, and figure out my next steps towards next year. I'm going to knock their socks off next year, and I'm going to pour my whole heart and soul into the application process and really investing time, energy, dedication, and soul to my fiction craft. I'm so grateful for this group and for the support, too. ❤️

Right now, I am so, damn proud of myself for even applying in the first place. This time last year, I was in the throes of having just been diagnosed with severe OCD, and I was pretty damn near hopeless, living in my parents' basement and not sleeping and thinking I was just utterly broken. (Spoiler alert: I wasn't. :)) I am SO proud of myself for the journey I've been on this year, and for applying and getting my app in at all--between the time of inquiry/processing that, yes, I am going to apply to this, actually, and turning in my application, I had a turn around time period of ten days, so even getting the application in in the first place was a pretty damn great accomplishment in my book. Also, I took a chance on myself, and I tried, and that's the biggest accomplishment of all.

Also, heads up--for any other ND applicants, the grad school coordinator said that their "disapproval/rejection" system only updates once a week (I'm guessing on Fridays), so notifications should be going out more today. Not sure of any other cohort data, but I also spoke with someone on Draft whose friend was actually one of the confirmed fiction acceptances at ND, and she said she's going to pass along my question about cohort data and/or expected reply timelines to her friend so she can ask about it in a call she's having with the professors on Sunday. I'll keep y'all posted if I hear anything more--rooting for you guys!!! 

Much, love, and @fishfish24--I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. Congrats 8 bjillion, million times over!!!!!

No matter what, you should be insanely proud of yourself. Applying to these programs is difficult, draining and terrifying. But you have made such insane progress from where you said you were a year ago and that’s huge! And now you can come back to it next year even more confident and with the resolve of where you know you want to be. I think that’s amazing and you’re looking at it in a really healthy way. It sucks right now, but next year you’ve friggin got this. ❤️

2 minutes ago, Gertrude. said:

Oh, silly Ydrl. What's this new interest me? I'm just a working scrub. There is nothing interesting in me. No school will even suffer me. 

I’ve been trying to DM you since three accounts ago. You just keep getting banned before I can ask questions. I’m sure you’re interesting, just a little angry. Let’s talk.

27 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said:

Congrats!!!!! That's amazing-sauce times a bjillion!!!! So proud of you!!!! *clinks glass*

I found out, from an email from the grad school coordinator via that email I sent, that I didn't get in to ND, unfortunately. ?However, this past week, I have discovered within myself more resilience than I knew I had, and I'm actually grateful to know that there is so much work I can do to really improve my craft over this next year, and then reapply to ND next year with a much more honed, focused application. I've attended enough virtual events they've held, both within their writing department and without, over these past several months, to know that it is exactly where I need to be for both personal and professional goals, so, I'm going to get some sleep, maybe cry a little bit more, and then reassess my next steps when it comes to income generation and story writing, and figure out my next steps towards next year. I'm going to knock their socks off next year, and I'm going to pour my whole heart and soul into the application process and really investing time, energy, dedication, and soul to my fiction craft. I'm so grateful for this group and for the support, too. ❤️

Right now, I am so, damn proud of myself for even applying in the first place. This time last year, I was in the throes of having just been diagnosed with severe OCD, and I was pretty damn near hopeless, living in my parents' basement and not sleeping and thinking I was just utterly broken. (Spoiler alert: I wasn't. :)) I am SO proud of myself for the journey I've been on this year, and for applying and getting my app in at all--between the time of inquiry/processing that, yes, I am going to apply to this, actually, and turning in my application, I had a turn around time period of ten days, so even getting the application in in the first place was a pretty damn great accomplishment in my book. Also, I took a chance on myself, and I tried, and that's the biggest accomplishment of all.

Also, heads up--for any other ND applicants, the grad school coordinator said that their "disapproval/rejection" system only updates once a week (I'm guessing on Fridays), so notifications should be going out more today. Not sure of any other cohort data, but I also spoke with someone on Draft whose friend was actually one of the confirmed fiction acceptances at ND, and she said she's going to pass along my question about cohort data and/or expected reply timelines to her friend so she can ask about it in a call she's having with the professors on Sunday. I'll keep y'all posted if I hear anything more--rooting for you guys!!! 

Much, love, and @fishfish24--I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. Congrats 8 bjillion, million times over!!!!!

This is some inspiring wisdom and badassery. The universe WILL support you. You are a warrior!

12 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I still believe in you, for what it's worth. :) ?

But there is nothing to be sorry for. I’ve said it before. The more the early rejection, the greater the share of honor. Feel sorry for readers who may be deprived of my words. Feel sorry for those contorting rejections as the best outcome for practical purposes. It is they who merit your sympathy. As far as practicalities go, no, rejection was not for the best. Fortunately I am a woman who never cared much for practicalities.   

Edited by Gertrude.

1 hour ago, Graceful Entropy said:

I'm probably just in a bad mood because I had to deal w/ two meltdowns at work rn so I might delete later, but....

It's so nice that they can be 'very self-conscious' about how privileged they are. 
And money doesn't come up w/ rich people, because THAT IS SOMETHING THEY DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT.

Doodle, I'm sure you are a very nice person, and I wouldn't dare to guess your own personal circumstances, but the one place are describing sounds exactly like the self-perpetuating bullshit of people patting themselves on the back, telling themselves they are the 'good ones' all while, consciously or not, working to maintain the same harmful status quo.

My rant and small lunch are now over. Sorry bout the mood. Keep up the great work evryone.

Yeah... you're not wrong. I went to Sarah Lawrence for part of my undergrad. Actually, I was there from 2010-2012, so maybe we know each other @dooooodle ! I definitely agree with a lot of what you mentioned... the conferences were probably the moments where I learned the most when it came to my writing. 

Anyway, if you can handle the trust fund kiddos playing thrift store dress-up and condescending to you about the bourgeoisie (that they're soooo clearly not a part of), then maybe your experience will be different. I feel like those of us on significant scholarship and financial aid found each other pretty quickly. Most of us transferred or dropped out all together. 

That being said, the faculty and classes were amazing. I was never more depressed than when I had to leave, but it was probably one of the smartest decisions I ever made, financially speaking. I guess you could say it was a very rude awakening to the realities of the world. I think that now that I'm older, I probably would have had an easier time. But such is life!  If you can financially swing it, then I say go for it. 

Edited by teasel

12 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

No matter what, you should be insanely proud of yourself. Applying to these programs is difficult, draining and terrifying. But you have made such insane progress from where you said you were a year ago and that’s huge! And now you can come back to it next year even more confident and with the resolve of where you know you want to be. I think that’s amazing and you’re looking at it in a really healthy way. It sucks right now, but next year you’ve friggin got this. ❤️

Thank you so much. ❤️ That means a lot!! You know, I spent enough years hating myself and purposefully holding myself back from things, because I couldn't forgive myself for some choices I'd made in my past, and my way of dealing with that was using self-anger as a shield to avoid getting hurt again--you know, when you spend enough time battling yourself, and hating yourself, and being mad at yourself, and then finally getting to a place where you let yourself be wholeheartedly vulnerable again, clarity comes in the form of commitment to unabashed vulnerability and openness, no matter how hard it gets. And, as much as it'd be nice to say I did it all myself, Jesus has truly been with me every single step of the way. I couldn't, and wouldn't, be here without Him. I've learned that the darkest depths are where the light most often comes in the strongest.

I really appreciate your kind words. I hope you friggin have it this year--you're going to kick ass. :D 

2 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

This is some inspiring wisdom and badassery. The universe WILL support you. You are a warrior!

Thanks, lovey!!! ❤️ I am a warrior, and so are you. So are all of us. P.S. I kind of want to add "badass warrior" to my LinkedIn profile...too much? ?

1 hour ago, fishfish24 said:

Babes, I was just waitlisted at Michener for fiction!! ❤️❤️❤️

CONGRATS!!!!!! Damn, that's hella impressive. Can't remember if you mentioned waiting on other programs, but I'm betting you'll have options!

7 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said:

And, as much as it'd be nice to say I did it all myself, Jesus has truly been with me every single step of the way. I couldn't, and wouldn't, be here without Him.

I use a different opiate. Marijuana. 

9 minutes ago, Gertrude. said:

Fortunately I am a woman who never cared much for practicalities.   

Whoops, my bad. I’ve been calling you he, they, and she this whole time.

6 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Whoops, my bad. I’ve been calling you he, they, and she this whole time.

No, no. Strive for the point where you don’t care what they call you. Let them call you a troll or Lucifer or retarded or mediocre or dull or rejected. It should never matter. Reach the level where you must strive to remember the silly time when it did matter.

1 minute ago, Gertrude. said:

No, no. Strive for the point where you don’t care what they call you. Let them call you a troll or Lucifer or retarded or mediocre or dull or rejected. It should never matter. Reach the level where you must strive to remember the silly time when it did matter.

Suddenly you’ve become inspirational? I’ve got to say, I’m never bored talking to you despite all your fluctuations. Take that as a compliment, you aren’t boring and sometimes you’ve got good shit to say. 

1 minute ago, tippybug said:

Word. Actually, I'm fried right now.

Surprised we aren't all freaking out over Brown right now!!

Kudos on the frying.

yeah now the Brown stress is beginning. I always looked at it as a pie in the sky possibility, but I just wanna know already!!! Think they’ll wait til Monday to begin the fiction notices?

1 minute ago, tippybug said:

Word. Actually, I'm fried right now.

Surprised we aren't all freaking out over Brown right now!!

Saaaame haha.

Also, I am definitely freaking out. I'm realizing that while I'll be pretty devastated if I don't get into a program, that the root of the issue is that I hate my job and was really hoping to move someplace new with a clear and defined purpose.