2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Just now, CrankyGinger said:

Oh so much. I am on my 3rd cup of coffee and trying to motivate myself to work on a short story I’ve been dragging ass on. And yet all I can do is stare at the screen and my inbox... 

Honestly, that was me for months up until yesterday. Somehow I mustered up the energy to reinvent an old poem. I think it went well.

i've seen around 3 poetry acceptances across draft and twitter, so i have solid reason (read: hope) to believe more are due. the 1st two were fellowships, and as @nottheamazonalexa mentioned, the third one was TA. not sure if the week ends today or includes the weekend, but yeah...

12 hours ago, goodcynara said:

Great to hear your perspective. I was also accepted to SLC (poetry). I live in California, so the move plus the fact that they are only partially funded makes it a long shot for me. However, I like that it is situated in a quieter spot, which I find better for writing; and is within easy reach of NYC, so I can avail myself of doses of much-needed city. My best friend lives in Brooklyn, so that is also a factor. Quite a bit depends on cheap rent. I am aware of the on-campus R.A. opportunities, but that is a non-starter for me, as it would defeat my need for quiet, devoted writing time. 

I'm also preparing a list of questions for them. I'd love to hear how this evolves for you.

I’m in the same boat, waiting to hear about the other NYC schools with an acceptance from SLC. If anyone thinks of really good questions, please share because I want us all to be prepared to get the info to help us choose the right program. I do love a lot of SLC’s aspects, though. Especially teaching opportunities in so many different areas. I’d have to move from Brooklyn further up, though. 

11 hours ago, Boomer not Ok said:

You could be right about NYU $ vs. SLC.  I think Columbia is the most expensive tuition-wise of all the programs and I don't think they give out much $. 

Columbia definitely had lost a lot of candidates to other schools with better funding for years. Considering how ridiculous their application is and their big ol’ Ivy League money, Columbia really needs to do better with funding. 

10 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Honestly, that was me for months up until yesterday. Somehow I mustered up the energy to reinvent an old poem. I think it went well.

I love looking at older work and giving it a new outfit. I’d love to see people’s work! I’m working on a short story I began a few months back and it’s taking a turn I didn’t expect now that I've given it some space. 

@cosmictonesI just got off the phone with Hadara Bar-Nadav at UMKC, and she said we might be waiting another 2 weeks for any kind of notification regarding GTA positions. It sounds like funding is quite up in the air.

6 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

I love looking at older work and giving it a new outfit.

You make it sound really pleasant haha. For me, I feel like I’m Dr. Frankenstein, ripping limbs off of Barbie dolls and combining them to form a monstrosity that’s strangely beautiful.

Just now, cosmictones said:

@cecsav yeah that sounds right. we just keep waiting

Is UMKC high on your list? Will you enroll even if they can't offer an assistantship? (Also, what the heck makes you want to come to the Midwest from GA? Lol)

Just now, Ydrl said:

You make it sound really pleasant haha. For me, I feel like I’m Dr. Frankenstein, ripping limbs off of Barbie dolls and combining them to form a monstrosity that’s strangely beautiful.

Hahaha I like that description better. I have definitely had those moments with stories before. One of the stories I used for applications got some serious stitches after I began editing it. I approve of your surgery. Weirdly enough, I am currently reading “Frankenstein” for fun.

3 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Love this.

Just now, cecsav said:

Will you enroll even if they can't offer an assistantship?

Honestly, I feel like this is a question on a lot of people’s minds right now. Especially mine. I don’t know what the future of funding at schools is gonna be like, or if the schools are going to have more incoming class size cuts. I really really hope New Hampshire can come through with the TA-ship.

20 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

Columbia definitely had lost a lot of candidates to other schools with better funding for years. Considering how ridiculous their application is and their big ol’ Ivy League money, Columbia really needs to do better with funding. 

it's true, but I don't think they care, tbh. this is how all of their masters programs work. they don't give aid, make everyone pay sticker, and they get away with it because they're Columbia lol. Pretty messed up, but I think it's working exactly as they intend

Just now, Ydrl said:

Honestly, I feel like this is a question on a lot of people’s minds right now. Especially mine. I don’t know what the future of funding at schools is gonna be like, or if the schools are going to have more incoming class size cuts. I really really hope New Hampshire can come through with the TA-ship.

Because I'm so close to UMKC and already have a home, employment, etc here, and the fact that my kids will probably be attending undergrad an hour east of KC, it's a real possibility for me. However, I wouldn't be able to rationalize moving out of state for a program not offering me full funding. 

@cecsav No it's on the bottom haha, can't accept if I don't get an TA job. Hadara was basically the only reason I applied. Georgia sucks, I didn't apply anywhere in the southeast other than Mississippi because it was free. Waitlisted a couple good places so hopefully one of those comes through if a TAship doesnt happen.

Edited by cosmictones

1 minute ago, Starbuck420 said:

it's true, but I don't think they care, tbh. this is how all of their masters programs work. they don't give aid, make everyone pay sticker, and they get away with it because they're Columbia lol. Pretty messed up, but I think it's working exactly as they intend

You're right, which is so incredibly disappointing. If I don't get funding, I definitely am not going to go into massive debt for the MFA, no matter how badly I want to go. 

Just now, cosmictones said:

@cecsav No it's on the bottom haha, can't accept if I don't get an TA job. Hadara was basically the only reason I applied. Georgia sucks, I didn't apply anywhere in the southeast other than Mississippi because it was free. Waitlisted a couple good places so hopefully one of those comes through if a TAship doesn't come through.

Haha. It was actually on the bottom of my list too. 

1 minute ago, CrankyGinger said:

You're right, which is so incredibly disappointing. If I don't get funding, I definitely am not going to go into massive debt for the MFA, no matter how badly I want to go. 

yeah, it sucks but I think that this is probably the right choice. I think Columbia in particular tries to prey on people a little bit, so credit to you for recognizing their game

11 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

I disagree. Columbia has a lot of open admission, money making programs including undergrad College of General Studies. Most of its masters programs are like that, but the MFA in writing is a prestige program. They don’t want it to be known as open admission.

17 minutes ago, cecsav said:

Because I'm so close to UMKC and already have a home, employment, etc here, and the fact that my kids will probably be attending undergrad an hour east of KC, it's a real possibility for me. However, I wouldn't be able to rationalize moving out of state for a program not offering me full funding. 

I did manage to land a full tuition scholarship, and I desperately need to leave the state, but finding housing sounds like a nightmare because on campus grad housing isn’t a thing right now.

5 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I did manage to land a full tuition scholarship, and I desperately need to leave the state, but finding housing sounds like a nightmare because on campus grad housing isn’t a thing right now.

I take it back. I’m waiting for a call from the housing people at UNH right now and graduate housing might be an option depending on an individual’s situation.

Just now, Ydrl said:

I take it back. I’m waiting for a call from the housing people at UNH right now and graduate housing might be an option depending on an individual’s situation.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

6 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Have you tried Craigslist? I'm going to try to get into grad housing if I can, but I've been looking at CL ads in the areas of potential schools, and it seems like there are often some pretty good set ups