2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

27 minutes ago, koechophe said:

Just got a no from Houston They sent out a pretty nice rejection letter before the automated one from the school, which was a pretty good move IMHO. Either way, if you're waiting on Houston, they'll probably have a decision for you soon.

It was such a nice rejection note?? It felt very heartwarming and encouraging for a minute before the actual rejection part settled in lol 

28 minutes ago, DeepSyntax said:

Assuming this means rejections across the board, but it's so frustrating waiting for that shoe to drop.

I'm still waiting on 6 programs. I'm assuming on on SOME waitlists, since I've seen other people post rejections, but I totally feel this. Idk, I like to hold out just a bit of optimism. In my world view, there's no harm in waiting until I hear a "no" to actually give up on places (unless it messes with you psychologically, but I've been through a lot of rejection so it's not as big of a deal to me). 

Here's chronicle:

USC: No idea what's happening here, most other people posted acceptances/rejections early February, I sent them an email about a week ago and they said I'd get my results by email when they're available, so I'm guessing maybe a waitlist? 

University of Utah: NO idea what's happening here, a few people posted waitlists in poetry, but it's been total crickets in fiction.

Florida State University: Most acceptances happened early February, assuming I'm probably waitlisted here too since I've seen some rejections pop up over the last few days. But I also saw someone else get a call for their waitlist (but they were PHD not MFA) so maybe not. Or maybe they're just rolling out rejections and it's yet to come, idk. 

Oklahoma: A bit of movement in early February, but crickets since. Some posted rejections way back then, so I'm guessing I'm on a waitlist here too, though how long is anyone's guess. 

Las Vegas: There's not been a lot posted here, but since someone has posted a wait list and an acceptance, I'm guessing I'm lingering at the bottom of the pool 

Washington State University: No idea here. This one is a Rhet/Comp program and I've seen like 1 person post an acceptance to it, nothing else. 

53 minutes ago, corgeel14 said:

So on the 8th/9th, when all those New School acceptances came out, I got an email the morning of the 9th that said "application update" but it was just saying they had received all my materials (again) and were under review. Was that a mistake? A way of saying to keep waiting? I applied for poetry and haven't seen any poetry acceptances but that could just mean that whoever got in wasn't on this or Draft I know......What do ya'll think?

Might be worth e-mailing them about! 

1 minute ago, funfettuccine said:

I’m in the same boat at Alabama. The not-knowing is killer. 

Yes! Also how much follow up is ok? I followed up after 2.5 weeks and they confirmed their was no update. I don't want them to think I'm annoying, but I also want them to know that I'm very very eager.

1 hour ago, eternalwhitenights said:

Awwww Manny!! Thank you so much for sharing your heart here. ❤️ First off, what a tremendous accomplishment for you to have your command of English that you do. That's such a gift to be able to communicate in two languages so fluently; I'm sure that informs your writing and helps you communicate in ways only you know how. That's an amazing asset, and congratulations on all your success in that realm.

Something that really struck me about your post was that you seem to be coming from a place of assuming that your work has no value in and of itself. I'd like to challenge that. :) For one, you as a human are inherently worthy, loved, and deserving of respect and kindness. There is only one you, and therefore, what you write is only something you can create. If you discredit yourself before you even begin, you're depriving the world of the gift of yourself and your voice. I know it can be scary to put yourself out there, but I want to encourage you to not be afraid to express yourself. You can do it; I, for one, believe in you!

In terms of finding the right program, I think it makes sense to look at things from the lens of, "Who am I as a writer?" and then look for programs that encourage experimentation, and perhaps cross-genre work. I'm perhaps a bit biased because I'm really only considering one grad school (Notre Dame--I got rejected this year, but I plan on applying again next year), but from all of my Internet stalking/learning about the program, I think the poetry track might be something you'd really thrive in. They have a huge emphasis on international solidarity, translation, and some of the faculty (I'm thinking specifically Johannes Gorannson) teach from a place of experimentation, at least as far as I've been able to glean.

Unfortunately, the format of your poem wasn't granting permission to view your work. Congratulations on getting your work read in the first place; there is definitely a thrill in knowing others are hearing your heart encapsulated in your work publicly. :) My best advice is to write from your depths; be yourself; have fun; and learn as you go. You've got it. :)

Nice to meet you, friend!

~Mary

Haha, it's lovely of you to write those words, but I have issues with clarity sometimes.  I certainly didn't mean my writing has zero value, but that in the context of grad school applications, it's hard to gauge that value and if it even exists for those judging the portfolio and deciding yes or no.  I was always a good student, but I was never more than decent in math and the sciences, so I can say, with no humble bragging, because of all the energy and focus I spent on learning English, and learning that I loved it, I'm more than half-decent at it, and have come a long way to accepting that it is, and that I'm proud of what I put to a page, virtual or otherwise.

I've been a member of the Church of Sisyphus since high school, so truly, it's not something I haven't dealt with before, but, it'd be grand to hear about schools or programs that cater to or accept writers who have chosen poetry as a primary form of expression and want to keep playing with language (cross-genre stuff is aces) and especially talking about bodies while also developing ways of rekindling a love for the Romantics.

But thank you, you're clearly a very gracious and kind-hearted individual to take the time to write responses to perfectly strange strangers.  It's always a nice change from the commonplace vitriol and one-upmanship on the Web.

I also want to shout out that person who associated film directors with schools.  A perfectly absurd way of 'marking' the schools and I've chosen future applications based on that criteria, haha.  I'm as big a cinephile as they come, which coupled with my absolute need for music of all kinds, has helped my voice and the lyricism I'm trying to engage in my writing.

Seriously, music and film do wonders.  :)

Edited by oubukibun

Just now, omgalexx said:

Yes! Also how much follow up is ok? I followed up after 2.5 weeks and they confirmed their was no update. I don't want them to think I'm annoying, but I also want them to know that I'm very very eager.

This is a great Q. Would love advice from any vets. I followed up right after getting my waitlist email to thank them/express interest/ask when they typically reach out to waitlisted folks who get spots, but I haven’t received a response. And I also don’t want to be annoying, LOL. 

Just now, funfettuccine said:

This is a great Q. Would love advice from any vets. I followed up right after getting my waitlist email to thank them/express interest/ask when they typically reach out to waitlisted folks who get spots, but I haven’t received a response. And I also don’t want to be annoying, LOL. 

Following because I have no idea how annoying I need to be lol I definitely want to keep communication with them, but don’t want to be overbearing. 

Just now, FairleyAlfy said:

Just got a double rejection literally minutes apart lol University of Maryland and FSU both said no. So that leaves 0a/2w/7r/5p

Honestly, for my first time applying, 2w is better than I thought I was going to do. Keeping my head up. ?

I'm sorry, that's really really rough. I'm still in the dark with Maryland. But 2w is way better than I did last year, plus you got 5 more to go!

Just now, FairleyAlfy said:

Following because I have no idea how annoying I need to be lol I definitely want to keep communication with them, but don’t want to be overbearing. 

Sooo the only reason I feel like I've been following up is because I had a friend who applied to PhD programs and she emailed asking when she should expect to hear about getting off the waitlist and they were like, "oh, are you still interested? Someone just dropped out. Do you want the spot?"

That has definitely been in my head haha. I think I will follow up every two weeks....and hope that is not overkill. 

Just now, Ydrl said:

I'm sorry, that's really really rough. I'm still in the dark with Maryland. But 2w is way better than I did last year, plus you got 5 more to go!

Thank you! I’m trying to remain positive! Honestly, just relieved to finally have some communication from colleges. Haha

Maybe you’ve been waitlisted!! Or even an acceptance! Rooting for you! 

1 minute ago, omgalexx said:

Sooo the only reason I feel like I've been following up is because I had a friend who applied to PhD programs and she emailed asking when she should expect to hear about getting off the waitlist and they were like, "oh, are you still interested? Someone just dropped out. Do you want the spot?"

That has definitely been in my head haha. I think I will follow up every two weeks....and hope that is not overkill. 

What?! That’s crazy! Okay, so yea, definitely following up. 

15 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

Just got a double rejection literally minutes apart lol University of Maryland and FSU both said no.

Sorry to hear that. Glad FSU is finally talking to people, at least. They've been very quiet for quite a while now. 

1 minute ago, cecsav said:

I've been divorced since 2006. 

My Mom still gets letters for my step-mom who married my Dad 12 years ago after their divorce, so, you know... Somehow, weird stuff happens. 

3 hours ago, rcsteel said:

Emailed Iowa asking for a decision update and they said that letters were pushed back by a week due to COVID. Also said to email them back if I have not received a letter by the end of March and they will email me a copy of the letter.

Did they say -- or even wink, nod at the possibility-- of any more acceptances, or is it just the usual raft of rejections sent out in letter form? Not tryna read too much into it, but if it were just blanket Noes, they'd probably say so, right? I mean, why string you along with deliberate vagueness?

But then, why call some people and ink letters to others? And why such a large gulf of time in-between?

Agh. I need some kind of closure. 

1 hour ago, corgeel14 said:

So on the 8th/9th, when all those New School acceptances came out, I got an email the morning of the 9th that said "application update" but it was just saying they had received all my materials (again) and were under review. Was that a mistake? A way of saying to keep waiting? I applied for poetry and haven't seen any poetry acceptances but that could just mean that whoever got in wasn't on this or Draft I know......What do ya'll think?

i got a poetry acceptance that night and posted on the results page. I did have to click one extra link to get to the result that I didn't notice at first.  I also heard on Draft that last year the results came out in batches? meaning there may be more. something like that. i will check.