2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

14 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

I see you got accepted into the group, but I'll share my experience with Draft from last year. It's very helpful for gathering info, but once I'd applied, being on Draft increased my anxiety. Watching other people get their results made my own waiting process more difficult. Of course you have that dynamic on GC too, but somehow seeing someone's real name/pictures/etc made it feel too "real" -- it's so much easier to start unfairly comparing yourself to a stranger's profile.

That said, I got some great tips for preparing for my funding interview. Plus can be a nice place to commiserate. Just be wary of when you're doomscrolling!

I appreciate the advice! Even just by scrolling through last night, I was overwhelmed, partly because I haven’t been on Facebook for a few years (and not active on Twitter either) and - you’re totally right about this - the straightforwardness of real names, real photos, and the power of words (instead of pictures, say on Instagram) just hit differently. Somehow it all feels much more personal, and “real”. I feel like I really don’t need to know that much about people I don’t know...but the information is there and it’s hard to resist the guilty pleasure of voyeurism, even though what you end up knowing would only make you more anxious! 

anyway... 

just to start another topic: English is my second language. Anyone else writing in their second language? 

2 hours ago, feralgrad said:

It's very helpful for gathering info, but once I'd applied, being on Draft increased my anxiety

I agree with this. Also, gotta say, the way people address one another and the general vibe is very...LinkedIn-ish? kind of button-down? as in, when I'm on there I sort of feel like I'm at a career fair. everyone is very cordial, and in general very forthcoming with information, but the cordiality is a little superficial and I do get the sense that I'm at a massive networking session 

I really don't want to bad mouth them, because it's a nice group and the people are generally very supportive, but (to me at least) it often feels less like a group of artists and more like a group of job applicants, which is a bit tricky for a number of reasons. But, if that's your thing, and if you're treating the MFA as a professional degree (which at this point it basically is to some extent), then it's probably exactly what you're looking for, and that's totally fine

But also, yeah, seconding the anxiety thing. I had to get the heck out of Draft a couple of months ago. Not because I hated it -- mostly it was useful -- but because it basically ceased to be helpful to me once I had gathered some basic background info on application process

1 hour ago, Starbuck420 said:

I agree with this. Also, gotta say, the way people address one another and the general vibe is very...LinkedIn-ish? kind of button-down? as in, when I'm on there I sort of feel like I'm at a career fair. everyone is very cordial, and in general very forthcoming with information, but the cordiality is a little superficial and I do get the sense that I'm at a massive networking session 

I really don't want to bad mouth them

Oh, but you did bad mouth them, and it sounds like that place sucks. If I wanted to watch every word I said like my career depended on it, I would get a job not an MFA. 

I scrolled through the Draft. Everyone is competing with each other for who can be more politically correct. Someone asked what you should ask MFA schools. She wanted practical advice. 

The moderator is basically retarded and said everyone has to ask about disability access. It is not that the moderator herself is disabled, but rather "If only disabled people ask about accessibility, it’ll get thought about every five years or something. And that’s not cool." 

20 minutes ago, Michelle Zeller said:

Oh, but you did bad mouth them, and it sounds like that place sucks. If I wanted to watch every word I said like my career depended on it, I would get a job not an MFA. 

I scrolled through the Draft. Everyone is competing with each other for who can be more politically correct. Someone asked what you should ask MFA schools. She wanted practical advice. 

The moderator is basically retarded and said everyone has to ask about disability access. It is not that the moderator herself is disabled, but rather "If only disabled people ask about accessibility, it’ll get thought about every five years or something. And that’s not cool." 

Be gone with you. Take your trolling elsewhere. We have nothing to say to you. 

Is it possible to block users on here?

24 minutes ago, Michelle Zeller said:

The person you’re referring to is a disabled writer. So am I. What you just used is hate speech and you really need to rethink your choice of words. If you used that word in your MFA or at any job, they would have good reason to terminate you. 

I thought it was enlightening thing for her to mention how it could benefit disabled people if more people asked about accessibility. You may not understand because you have not been discriminated against for a disability, but you don’t have a right to use that word for or about anyone.

Her idea is similar to the practice of everyone publicly disclosing their preferred pronouns - it takes the burden of non-gender conforming people go out of their way to do so. If everyone asked about disability access, universities may make it a bigger priority and less of the burden would fall to disabled people. It makes us question what we’re positing as the “default” in our society and promotes inclusivity. Why would that be a bad thing? It’s a step away from the ableist way of doing things now, and I think that’s a step in the right direction.

Just now, JPReinhold said:

The person you’re referring to is a disabled writer. So am I. What you just used is hate speech and you really need to rethink your choice of words. If you used that word in your MFA or at any job, they would have good reason to terminate you. 

For real. All I can say after reading her last post is that I sure as heck hope I don't end up in a program with her. Maybe that's harsh, but it's 2021 and if you don't know how to not be an ableist jerk and to not be hostile towards your potential colleagues then it's not my job to pretend to tolerate it.

Just now, Pinskadan said:

For real. All I can say after reading her last post is that I sure as heck hope I don't end up in a program with her. Maybe that's harsh, but it's 2021 and if you don't know how to not be an ableist jerk and to not be hostile towards your potential colleagues then it's not my job to pretend to tolerate it.

... I don’t think anyone is in danger of ending up with that person in their program. Based on what I’ve seen, I think we’re all pretty safe. 

Just now, Starbuck420 said:

yeah, yeesh. was trying to register a good-faith critique, and did not mean to set this person off yall sorry

You've got nothing to apologize for. You're allowed to express your impressions of something and there's a HUUUGE difference between doing that and what this other user did. 

Personally I only joined the Draft after finishing my applications but I've liked it so far! I think people are definitely more... professionally minded since FB doesn't offer the same anonymity that GF does, but I like having both communities for their own respective benefits.

The OP asked for practical advice what to ask MFA programs. She wanted to know what to ask to help herself. The moderator’s answer was “Don’t ask questions to help yourself. Ask questions to help the disabled.” And then what posts came next?

Two people who post all day there felt they were outdone and had to post simply to say that they are even more politically correct than the moderator: “Great point! Thanks for bringin it up. These are great questions.” (She means great disability questions that the non-disabled should ask. 

It is like Starbuck420 says, a LinkedIn site.

Hi All, 

Thanks for your reports on the account above. The account above seems to be the same person as the other troll(s) earlier in the thread. They're taking various measures to get around the bans on new account registrations, so please keep reporting. I'm looking into some options, but sometimes you have to keep banning them until they get bored.

-T

2 hours ago, Michelle Zeller said:

Hi, the moderator you're referring to is disabled, and the point she brought up is practical and relevant. She is also an exceedingly generous person and has accomplished the thing we're all trying to do (and in a bigger way than most of us will). 

Please be respectful (I think it is too much to ask you to be kind).

Fingers crossed we get a few days of peace in here.

In the meantime, let's talk strategies for dealing with rejection. I had one of those weekends--two R's from pubs and also notified that I didn't get a reader position I applied for. My rejection wall is filling out nicely, but it's hard to stay positive when they come in groups like that. How does everyone else handle it--apart from drinking cuz I already got that one down. ;)

30 minutes ago, pattycat said:

In the meantime, let's talk strategies for dealing with rejection. I had one of those weekends--two R's from pubs and also notified that I didn't get a reader position I applied for. My rejection wall is filling out nicely, but it's hard to stay positive when they come in groups like that. How does everyone else handle it--apart from drinking cuz I already got that one down. ;)

I take the spiritual path and tell myself that those doors closed because they were not the right doors. Those rejections are simply guiding me down the correct hallway and to the correct door. I may not see it yet, but it will be there, ready and waiting for me... And I drink, a lot. I recommend a good Malbec or Bordeaux. ?

3 hours ago, Starbuck420 said:

yeah, yeesh. was trying to register a good-faith critique, and did not mean to set this person off yall sorry

That's exactly how it came across to me, at least, and I thought your assessment was spot on. The group's definitely helpful, but you're right, more civil than it is friendly, and while a great source of information, not a fun place to hang out - that's my experience anyhow. I'm grateful for it, but prefer the camaraderie I see here.

The reply you got shocked me, honestly. I'm disabled too. Can't help but wonder if her SOP and LORs tell the same story we're hearing here.

2 hours ago, pattycat said:

A few days peace would be nice. Thank you very much, @telkanuru ! 

I received five or six rejections from high-tier pubs the past couple months--even when you prepare yourself, it still sucks.  I have some poems coming out this summer, tho! You just gotta be persistent and try not to have too many expectations. Even when a writer's work is highly polished and unique, it's still a very subjective process. I usually give myself one day to kinda feel sorry for myself--I'll make a really elaborate dinner, drink some wine, binge watch a show. Basically nothing writing related, unless I'm super absorbed in something that doesn't remind me of my inadequacies haha. I also listen to a lot of guided meditations when the thought of rejection stresses me out. 

Personally I don't have a rejection wall, but I admire those who use it to endure! I just think having a visual representation of my rejections would make me focus too much on the difficult part of the writing life, when I'd much rather surround myself with totems of  success/inspiration. That's just me tho : ) 

Do you guys have a back up plan if you don't get in this round? I am thinking of trying to get a teaching certification. Obviously I'm trying to be positive! But I'm curious to hear what you guys have been thinking

Edited by teasel

40 minutes ago, pattycat said:

In the meantime, let's talk strategies for dealing with rejection. I had one of those weekends--

I love this idea.

Mostly rejections don't bother me at all anymore, but sometimes I do get my hopes up. For those, I promise myself something that I can look forward to. Usually it's a day at the beach but not always. For instance, back in November I entered the NYC Midnight Microfiction 250 contest, and bought myself a box of chocolates for when I got news I didn't get through to round two. Turns out I DID get through, so now I still have the box for when I don't get through this round, which I'm pretty sure of. I couldn't get the story right this time to save my life; just not feeling it. So, looking forward to those truffles and coconut clusters already. lol

50 minutes ago, pattycat said:

For me it's pretty straightforward. I go into all submissions with the understanding that everything's subjective, and my stories are sometimes kind of strange, so I understand that they aren't the right fit for everyone. With this understanding, I can believe that I might not necessarily suck. I still could suck, but I won't know for sure because of the subjectivity.

If I decide to think that I do suck, then I just think of how old some of my favorite writers were when they published their first novels. I'm only 28, so I have some years to work with if I want to stay on track with them.

13 minutes ago, teasel said:

Do you guys have a back up plan if you don't get in this round? I am thinking of trying to get a teaching certification. Obviously I'm trying to be positive! But I'm curious to hear what you guys have been thinking

*Edited to ask a question

Teaching certification in some places is made to look and sound so complicated, but your school will walk you right through it and everyone needs teachers now - that sounds like a great plan to me! (English teacher here ha ha) Some of the most joyous moments of my life were in the classroom with my kids. Of course I also ended up with high blood pressure and anxiety medication by the end of the first year, so..... ? Good luck if you do it! 

My own kids and I have been talking about Plan B from the beginning, because of the admission percentages for MFA programs. We know we want to leave Florida. The oldest wants us to buy an RV again and go workamping until I try again next year, but I think the pandemic probably tanks that plan for now.

If I end up empty-handed this year and next, then I may go for a Ph.D. in Education instead, if I can get the funding. It's always about the funding.

1 hour ago, teasel said:

My back-up plan is pretty vague right now: Just gonna pack up the car and move somewhere else across the country on a whim, write some more, and hope to get in next time.

9 hours ago, M-Lin said:

I appreciate the advice! Even just by scrolling through last night, I was overwhelmed, partly because I haven’t been on Facebook for a few years (and not active on Twitter either) and - you’re totally right about this - the straightforwardness of real names, real photos, and the power of words (instead of pictures, say on Instagram) just hit differently. Somehow it all feels much more personal, and “real”. I feel like I really don’t need to know that much about people I don’t know...but the information is there and it’s hard to resist the guilty pleasure of voyeurism, even though what you end up knowing would only make you more anxious! 

anyway... 

just to start another topic: English is my second language. Anyone else writing in their second language? 

English is my second language too! Writing in my first language feels wayyyy too intense and real for me, but I'm really getting into translations after taking a class at college, which is always a fun little adventure! 

What are your experiences like writing in your second language?