2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Just now, JPReinhold said:

Hey Paul :) We're in purgatory because this is a board for people awaiting decisions from creative writing programs. I see that's not your field, but thank you for the mini heart attack. ?

Woooops... how did I end up here? Sometimes my writing is "creative" but I'm definitely not a creative writer. I think I got a 3 or 2.5 on the writing portion of the GRE ?. Well, hello writers. 

1 hour ago, eternalwhitenights said:

Happy Sunday, y'all. Just wanted to drop in and see how y'all have been--no word on my application yet (no surprise there), but of course, I'm checking every couple of days. :P

I got an email from "ThinkND" today, and my heart skipped five beats. It was just a newsletter, but OMG my heart truly leapt. I can only imagine what it's going to be like the day I find out.

How's everybody doing? Hanging in there/anybody heard any major news back yet?

Oh man, I haven't even gotten anything from ThinkND...hope that isn't a bad sign.

In all seriousness, nothing yet on my end. Seems like Illinois and Ohio State are the only two big schools who have given out decisions so far.

1 hour ago, mrvisser said:

Oh man, I haven't even gotten anything from ThinkND...hope that isn't a bad sign.

In all seriousness, nothing yet on my end. Seems like Illinois and Ohio State are the only two big schools who have given out decisions so far.

On facebook someone just posted they got accepted to U of New Mexico

58 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

There will be more soon. I bet something will happen by Friday (if not tomorrow)

Based on what I'm able to find on the results page, it seems like all the schools I applied to have late February notifications at the earliest. Most of them notify in March. 

How is it not even February yet????? ??

2 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

Based on what I'm able to find on the results page, it seems like all the schools I applied to have late February notifications at the earliest. Most of them notify in March. 

How is it not even February yet????? ??

Yeah but I feel like every year the notification dates change. This year they could come out earlier. 

17 minutes ago, WolfMan said:

Yeah but I feel like every year the notification dates change. This year they could come out earlier. 

You might be right. From what I see in last year's Draft group and gradcafe reports, Uni of New Mexico notified Feb 8 and Feb 14 the last two years, so this year is a few weeks earlier.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:52 AM, mrvisser said:

I'm new to it, and I think I still like this site a little more for conversation purposes. But of course I don't want to miss any acceptances, so I check Draft fairly often too.

Okay I think I'm the only one on here who doesn't know about Draft haha. Someone please tell me what it is! 

Just now, CCort said:

Okay I think I'm the only one on here who doesn't know about Draft haha. Someone please tell me what it is! 

It's a facebook group--MFA Draft '21

7 minutes ago, pattycat said:

You might be right. From what I see in last year's Draft group and gradcafe reports, Uni of New Mexico notified Feb 8 and Feb 14 the last two years, so this year is a few weeks earlier.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but the notification on Draft was New Mexico State, not UNM.

On 1/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, pattycat said:

So now my daydreaming has moved on from looking at apartments and rental homes in my school cities to shopping for backpacks that I can't afford.

I thought I was the only one that does that! I feel like getting a new backpack is the best way to celebrate an acceptance! In an attempt to not spiral into a grad school anxiety fest I've been mentally planning my new wardrobe I'll have to get if I go to certain grad schools. I live in a place that has every season and I'm applying to places that are super cold or hot! It's fun to daydream about what grad school life will look like.

1 minute ago, Ophelias pansies said:

I thought I was the only one that does that! I feel like getting a new backpack is the best way to celebrate an acceptance! In an attempt to not spiral into a grad school anxiety fest I've been mentally planning my new wardrobe I'll have to get if I go to certain grad schools. I live in a place that has every season and I'm applying to places that are super cold or hot! It's fun to daydream about what grad school life will look like.

Oh if I get in you better believe I'll be that guy wearing tweed and corduroy jackets.

46 minutes ago, Ophelias pansies said:

Me too! I'm in the Chicago area, so ending up in a warm spot like Gainesville or Austin would be such a change. New wardrobe would def be needed. I've been working as a wedding photographer for most of the last 13 years, so my closet is pretty much all black!

4 hours ago, WolfMan said:

I sure hope so! The earlier the better. 

I'm sure the schools are doing the best they can, since they can't gather faculty in person and all that. But maybe they can also consider how uncertain our world is right now in many ways and planning a change in life for many people might take longer than usual - thus, give us earlier notifications lol. 

How does the admissions process even work? Do the faculty members read our work or do volunteering TA's read our work? Are the decisions reached by consensus or do separate people choose the admitted? I'm assuming that there is like a first screening where all the totally unqualified applicants are siphoned out based on not meeting length, GPA, or other reqs...

So many questions.

Edited by WolfMan