2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

1 minute ago, eternalwhitenights said:

I hope you hear back from Iowa, and all your programs soon, and, I mean, there are worse things than having the ocean as your front yard, ha!

Thanks, and you too!

Right now I'm fine with rejections as long as I can get this over with, and just have some direction and a plan. I imagine a lot of us are in the same boat with that. It's the where-will-I-be-next-year feeling that's the worst.... especially when I realize I applied to at least one school that's so far away, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to move there if I did get in pffft (good job! lol)

I have learned, in an already longish life, that whenever disaster strikes (apart from anyone dying), it's clearing the way for wonderful things ahead. Happens EVERY time. So I've learned to be grateful whenever the roof caves in, and keep looking ahead for new good things. They always come, eventually. 

❤️ 

10 minutes ago, Greithe said:

Thanks, and you too!

Right now I'm fine with rejections as long as I can get this over with, and just have some direction and a plan. I imagine a lot of us are in the same boat with that. It's the where-will-I-be-next-year feeling that's the worst.... especially when I realize I applied to at least one school that's so far away, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to move there if I did get in pffft (good job! lol)

I have learned, in an already longish life, that whenever disaster strikes (apart from anyone dying), it's clearing the way for wonderful things ahead. Happens EVERY time. So I've learned to be grateful whenever the roof caves in, and keep looking ahead for new good things. They always come, eventually. 

❤️

Amen to that. :) I imagine we'll be hearing a lot of things by the end of this week and all during next week hopefully!

2 hours ago, anamcara said:

:pointedly ignores sage advice from earlier in the thread to not put any stock in the portals:

Anyone else able to see a course catalog on the Courses/Registration section of their UIowa portal? I can, and I can't remember if I could before, and I have a deathgrip on the smallest scraps of hope. There's a note above the catalog search that says I don't yet have an admissions profile and can't register, but I can see and search for everything now ?

Same here and I also can't remember if I had access to this previously...On one hand I feel like being able to actually search the catalogue is possibly a good sign, but the course lists are also public info so...just gonna not think about it and retain a deathgrip on hope scraps as well. .......

32 minutes ago, Yellow62 said:

Someone on draft says they know someone who got an email acceptance from Iowa for poetry. Also first poetry acceptance from U Washington at like 5pm pst tonight. Can't wait to be a nervous wreck tomorrow. 

Even though it wasn't one of my top choices, the Washington one just hurts. Obviously being an alumni doesn't make a difference as a candidate, but I had such a great experience there as an undergrad and feel a real bond with the school.

23 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Even though it wasn't one of my top choices, the Washington one just hurts. Obviously being an alumni doesn't make a difference as a candidate, but I had such a great experience there as an undergrad and feel a real bond with the school.

Well hey, no one's reported for fiction from what I've seen, and who knows if all the poetry calls even went out tonight. Not over yet!

2 hours ago, panglosian said:

Tbh I'm in the boat of "I'm going to pretend I still have a chance at Syracuse and Cornell until literally told otherwise"....... like a hopeful child.....

Welp that's it for Syracuse acceptances folks, a second Syracuse student confirmed that the coordinator contacted all admits already. I'm holding out for a waitlist (and some new from Cornell smh)!

9 minutes ago, Forbon said:

I don't believe anyone does anyone else favors with more posts like “you got this.” Those posts are like form rejection letters that tell you how much they care about you in particular. Here is reality: I estimate, if you haven’t heard from Iowa yet, there is a 99% chance you were rejected. If you don’t get a call tomorrow, my estimate will rise to 99.99%.

LOL you realize Iowa has to contact 50 people not including waitlisters, right? 

17 minutes ago, Forbon said:

Here is reality: I estimate, if you haven’t heard from Iowa yet, there is a 99% chance you were rejected. If you don’t get a call tomorrow, my estimate will rise to 99.99%.

To be completely fair, we knew when we applied that we had a 99% chance (well, a 97% or so chance) of rejection. The volume of applications against the size of the cohort makes that the reality.

I honestly love people who hang onto hope in the face of odds like that. That's been part of the fun, and the misery, of this whole adventure, for me anyhow. 

3 hours ago, Yellow62 said:

Same here and I also can't remember if I had access to this previously...On one hand I feel like being able to actually search the catalogue is possibly a good sign, but the course lists are also public info so...just gonna not think about it and retain a deathgrip on hope scraps as well. .......

i'm like 99% sure it's been here all along. this is what it says for me rn. Screenshot_20210225-115821_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3edc7f0568b7aa5b44244ce28a4564ee.jpg

Regarding UC Merced,EECS PhD Fall 2021 admission decision

After a discussion over email, a professor encouraged me to apply and I've submitted the application by the priority deadline (15th Dec). After application submission, he interviewed me on the 2nd week of January 2021. At the end of the interview, he was positive to accept me in his lab and told me the offer will be sent by February 2nd week. However, still, I didn't receive any decision and the professor not replying my emails. What should I do in this situation? Should I approach another professor? Any suggestion?

12 minutes ago, Anonymous_PhD_Applicant said:

Regarding UC Merced,EECS PhD Fall 2021 admission decision

After a discussion over email, a professor encouraged me to apply and I've submitted the application by the priority deadline (15th Dec). After application submission, he interviewed me on the 2nd week of January 2021. At the end of the interview, he was positive to accept me in his lab and told me the offer will be sent by February 2nd week. However, still, I didn't receive any decision and the professor not replying my emails. What should I do in this situation? Should I approach another professor? Any suggestion?

•  

Sorry, but I think you've found the wrong forum. This is for creative writing applicants. Best of luck, though!

12 hours ago, M-Lin said:

I saw you that you applied to some of the same schools as I did. I guess we're both targeting the new york area! Are the schools that accepted you, by any chance, NYU or Hunter? 

Looking at your school list, every one of them would be an amazing place to go for MFA, so congratulations! :)

I have been accepted to NYU and Stony Brook Southampton so far. Still waiting to hear from Hunter! 

Thank you for the congratulations, and good luck! 

also got my syracuse rejection just now. i sent a kind reply and terri actually replied and wished me luck. never met her but even over email, she seems kind. the og email, however, with its "dear mfa applicant", was not as kind. in any case, gotta cry and listen to liability by lorde on repeat brb.

7 minutes ago, babypoet2k said:

also got my syracuse rejection just now. i sent a kind reply and terri actually replied and wished me luck. never met her but even over email, she seems kind. the og email, however, with its "dear mfa applicant", was not as kind. in any case, gotta cry and listen to liability by lorde on repeat brb.

LOL, I had my Lorde moment yesterday 

In the middle of the night I woke up ecstatic after a very realistic dream about getting an acceptance call from UW. And then I realized twas only a dream. 

I also had a dream about a month ago that I got a big fat acceptance letter in the mail from UW, but when I opened it up it said "Dear [Not my name],"

Looking forward to reclaiming my dreamspace soon.