MSW.K

On 2/9/2021 at 5:15 PM, cwever said:

Did anyone apply to the University of Pittsburgh? If so, has anyone heard about funding yet?

I asked them about funding because my decision mostly relies on how much money I get. They said that they're hoping to send out scholarship info by the end of February. Also, in one of their info sessions, they mentioned that the scholarship max is 16k/year

On 2/11/2021 at 11:29 AM, j.peg said:

Thanks!! They did not include financial aid information, they might do it later or only after you accept the offer and put down a deposit (which I am not going to do). If they get back to me and offer me any aid i will respond to you in the thread. Best of luck with your applications!

I asked them and they said they were hoping to send out scholarship info by early April. Because my decision hinges so much on money, they allowed me to defer my acceptance/declination until April 1st.

I’m looking at MSW fall 2020 and a lot of people don’t hear back from Columbia until April and most well into May ? 

A lot of them are disappointed how Columbia handled this whole thing last year. Yikes. I’m still very hopeful and it won’t turn out like that this year! 

[Edit: @researchmswgirl meant to 'reply' to you but didn't quote the text accidentally!]

Just got an email to check the portal for UChicago-- waitlisted. Accepted a spot (on the waitlist), but they don't revisit til "the end of the Admissions cycle" so I assume the earliest I could hear would be April (I also assume aid will not be great at that point?).

Feeling pretty crushed right now since it was my number one choice and I had my heart set on it. Guess this just means I gotta start reimagining what my fall will look like!

Edited by lichen_

On 2/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, christina k said:

Hi everyone! For those that have been accepted to UMich, have you received your financial aid package yet and if so how much? I got $10,000 for the full-time in community change and I’m not sure how great of a package this is, and if I could push for some more money since the price is soo steep. 

On 2/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, kb-msw said:

I haven't received my aid package yet either! But I went to UMich for undergrad and 10k is a pretty extensive offer from my understanding. I know folks who have gotten a lot less--or even no money. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask for more though!

Hey again! So I received my financial aid notice and was offered zero scholarship money from Michigan... I was offered a substantial scholarship at another school but I still wish UMich offered me some money so I could keep them in the running. Did you end up reaching out about your aid package?

1 hour ago, MSW_2021 said:

Has anyone who applied for Columbia or Boston University for the priority deadlines heard back recently? I applied to Columbia on 12/1 and they're taking a lot longer than expected. BU says by end of Feb but I'm hoping it's sooner than that. 

I applied to BU on by the January priority deadline and was waitlisted on Thursday (2/11). It doesn‘t seem like anyone else has heard definite acceptances or rejections from them yet, so maybe they sent out the waitlists first? I really don’t know though, that is just my experience and guess. I think you are just going to have to watch the forum posts and your inbox/junk mail. Good luck!

Edited by j.peg

4 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

Has anyone who applied for Columbia or Boston University for the priority deadlines heard back recently? I applied to Columbia on 12/1 and they're taking a lot longer than expected. BU says by end of Feb but I'm hoping it's sooner than that. 

I applied on 12/1 to Columbia as well and haven't heard anything yet despite receiving an email saying we would hear back around this time :(

13 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

I've applied to both at the deadlines and am still waiting for both! Hopefully we'll hear back soon, but BU emailed after I applied saying we would hear back by the end of Feb. 

Boston College sent me my acceptance on 2/12 and said I have to give them a decision by 3/5. This seems extremely short, right? I'm still waiting on Columbia, Hunter, Boston University, and my Penn interview to decide what I'm going to do.

15 hours ago, kb-msw said:

Hey again! So I received my financial aid notice and was offered zero scholarship money from Michigan... I was offered a substantial scholarship at another school but I still wish UMich offered me some money so I could keep them in the running. Did you end up reaching out about your aid package?

Hey! I contacted about the appeal process and it includes a 5 pg paper that details need and merit and the office also said that the reevaluation of funds is not guaranteed to happen before the March 15th decision deadline. I got a decent scholarship from Penn and I don’t think, just from talking to them, that they would be willing to match offers that are significantly higher. hope this helps!

1 hour ago, tia. said:

Boston College sent me my acceptance on 2/12 and said I have to give them a decision by 3/5. This seems extremely short, right? I'm still waiting on Columbia, Hunter, Boston University, and my Penn interview to decide what I'm going to do.

I completely agree! I suspect I'll have my admissions decision for BU by 3/5 but I also applied to U Chicago and I wanna wait to hear back. I know BC starts in the summer, but I feel like they need to give people more time to decide ? 

2 hours ago, tia. said:

I emailed admissions for an extension! I would recommend that. I told them I was waiting to hear back from a school and the time frame that school had told me. BC admissions wrote in my acceptance I needed to respond by January 28th, but they extended it until March 1st. I think it will depend on your personal situation. 

2 minutes ago, j.peg said:

I emailed admissions for an extension! I would recommend that. I told them I was waiting to hear back from a school and the time frame that school had told me. BC admissions wrote in my acceptance I needed to respond by January 28th, but they extended it until March 1st. I think it will depend on your personal situation. 

Okay, I will do that. Thanks!

Hi guys! I am hoping for some advice! I have a meeting with a Columbia Admissions officer tomorrow, 2/16 and would love some suggestions on questions I can ask. I have already met with an admissions officer from Columbia in early January and asked the basics like "What makes this program unique, field placement arrangements, decision date, etc". I realize now, that this meeting is rather useless, as most of my big questions have been answered. But I am just rather ~anxious~ that I have not received a decision yet.. I applied 12/1! 

What are some questions I should ask to further demonstrate my interest in their program, get a more in depth understanding of the program, or possibly make me stand out as an applicant? Open to any and ALLL advice!! <3

30 minutes ago, lichen_ said:

Hey all! Has anyone admitted to WUSTL received a full, outlined financial aid package (beyond the scholarship amount listed in the acceptance letter?

Hi, I haven't yet but their website says they'll begin sending full federal aid information out in March! I'm planning to attend so I'm also hoping to find out ASAP!

8 minutes ago, bkcase said:

Today of all days, I was not expecting to hear from Columbia (don't schools observe Presidents Day?), but I did! Just received an acceptance. I applied 12/15. Anyone else hear back today?

i havent heard back yet! i applied 12/1. do you mind me asking around what time they emailed you?