MSW.K

10 hours ago, genericmswname said:

I would be too! That's so awesome, you should feel incredibly proud right now!

And thanks for dealing with all our anxious questions, haha; UChicago is such a toughie. I'm happy to know they value research and volunteer experience! Are you also a recent grad? 

Congratulations again. That's so huge. I hope you feel confident as hell tonight. 

Wow thank you so so much. I swear future/current social workers are the nicest people on earth haha. Your message meant a lot. I actually just got my master's in something else and changed my path completely.

I know you'll hear back soon! Are you a recent grad??

19 hours ago, bananamuffin said:

Hi- if anyone here applied to Hunter CUNY i have a question: I submitted my unofficial transcripts as prompted by the application. However, now the app says my transcripts aren't submitted, and Hunter has a website that says I ought to send official transcripts in one envelope (however if they come from me... don't they cease to be official? lol. I guess they are still sealed). Is that something I'm supposed to do ASAP, rather than waiting for a decision like other schools? Thanks :D

I also applied . I the info session I was informed only send the official transcript if you are accepted. I will do mine through CUNY first portal order the transcript and they will come directly from the school. 

11 hours ago, Mswsam said:

I just got a decision email at exactly 12:00am EST!! Good news and 25k! 

11 hours ago, bananamuffin said:

I also got my email from Chicago at exactly 12 pm est (but I’m on the west coast so luckily I was awake). I hope everyone received good news ❤️

For those of you who have already been accepted to UChicago, if you could please tell us if you applied for Full time/Part time/ Extended/Advanced Standing programs and brief stats...I'm worried that I don't have enough social/ community service hours so I'm panicking. Thanks! 

Applied: 09/20/20

UMichigan(Waitlisted 12/15), UPenn (Rejected 12/23), UChicago, BC(Accepted 1/7), BU

Applied: 12/24/20

Columbia, UWashington(Seattle)

Edited by Jess123

4 hours ago, msw2k21 said:

Wow thank you so so much. I swear future/current social workers are the nicest people on earth haha. Your message meant a lot. I actually just got my master's in something else and changed my path completely.

I know you'll hear back soon! Are you a recent grad??

Haha I think that's super true! At least I feel like people here are generally really supportive. 

And wow - that's a super interesting narrative; I'm sure you'll add a ton to the program having had a whole other graduate school experience. Good for you! 

And thank you! I applied for the Jan deadline, a little late - I wasn't sure if I was going to apply this cycle. Yes, I'm a recent grad and it's one of my insecurities right now, I think haha; it's hard to prove you're a mature early-20-something through the application materials. It's a reach, but I'm hoping I'll get in somewhere! 

Cheers to you again! :')

51 minutes ago, Jess123 said:

For those of you who have already been accepted to UChicago, if you could please tell us if you applied for Full time/Part time/ Extended/Advanced Standing programs and brief stats...I'm worried that I don't have enough social/ community service hours so I'm panicking. Thanks! 

Applied: 09/20/20

UMichigan(Waitlisted 12/15), UPenn (Rejected 12/23), UChicago, BC(Accepted 1/7), BU

Applied: 12/24/20

Columbia, UWashington(Seattle)

Hi Jess! I applied for full time day. I'm not sure if my stats will be helpful, they are sort of unconventional. My undergrad GPA was lower than most people on this forum (I want to remain very anonymous so I won't share exactly but like... I haven't seen anyone list one lower haha. I think yours is probably higher). I think a big up for me was some unique work/life experiences, which makes me think the admissions process was more holistic and 'big picture'. Maybe if you didn't have a lot of hours they would be looking at other factors and weighing the application as a whole? I feel like these things are so hard to predict, and that makes the process stressful. I hope you hear back soon ❤️

Hi everyone! For those that have been accepted to UMich, have you received your financial aid package yet and if so how much? I got $10,000 for the full-time in community change and I’m not sure how great of a package this is, and if I could push for some more money since the price is soo steep. 

1 hour ago, christina k said:

Hi everyone! For those that have been accepted to UMich, have you received your financial aid package yet and if so how much? I got $10,000 for the full-time in community change and I’m not sure how great of a package this is, and if I could push for some more money since the price is soo steep. 

Have not received my financial aid package yet-- when did you get notified?

Congrats on getting the 10k! I have no familiarity with UM's typical financial aid package, so I'm not sure how it might compare. Can't hurt to appeal and ask for more, right?

Edited by lichen_

I haven't received my aid package yet either! But I went to UMich for undergrad and 10k is a pretty extensive offer from my understanding. I know folks who have gotten a lot less--or even no money. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask for more though!

5 minutes ago, krbsw said:

I haven't received my aid package yet either! But I went to UMich for undergrad and 10k is a pretty extensive offer from my understanding. I know folks who have gotten a lot less--or even no money. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask for more though!

I'm curious, how does one ask for more money? I didn't know this was possible but it sounds good haha

If you don't mind my asking, when did you apply to UMich and when did you hear back? I'm getting antsy over the fact I haven't heard yet even though I submitted in late November. 

Edited by mswfall2021

19 minutes ago, lichen_ said:

Have not received my financial aid package yet-- when did you get notified?

Congrats on getting the 10k! I have no familiarity with UM's typical financial aid package, so I'm not sure how it might compare. Can't hurt to appeal and ask for more, right?

Thank you! I got the notification Feb 2nd about a month after getting the official letter. Yeah, I’ve heard other people sending in other financial aid packages to appeal and see if they can get more but I don’t really know what a decent amount would be for UM?? 

17 minutes ago, krbsw said:

Okay, thank you for context! I was so bummed about it but just because the out of state tuition is so high. Are you in-state, how did you like UM for undergrad if you don’t mind my asking? 

Just now, christina k said:

Okay, thank you for context! I was so bummed about it but just because the out of state tuition is so high. Are you in-state, how did you like UM for undergrad if you don’t mind my asking? 

Yes, I'm from Michigan! But since out-of-state tuition is so high, I would absolutely give an appeal a shot! I also know that UM has a lot of RA and Graduate Student Instructor opportunities that could help close the gap. I enjoyed UM and Ann Arbor for undergrad! I was involved with research and work in the community that made it super valuable. 

4 minutes ago, mswfall2021 said:

If you don't mind my asking, when did you apply to UMich and when did you hear back? I'm getting antsy over the fact I haven't heard yet even though I submitted in late November. 

I applied late Nov too, but I originally applied for the Joint psych+sw PhD just before it got cancelled and they said theyd consider the app for the msw. I heard back from the ssw late Dec. What program did you apply for? 

12 minutes ago, krbsw said:

Yes, I'm from Michigan! But since out-of-state tuition is so high, I would absolutely give an appeal a shot! I also know that UM has a lot of RA and Graduate Student Instructor opportunities that could help close the gap. I enjoyed UM and Ann Arbor for undergrad! I was involved with research and work in the community that made it super valuable. 

I will try it out! I wish research and graduate assistantships were included in the package so there was a clearer picture of how much tuition is covered but I think those apps start after you accept offer of admission. Im from NJ and know close to nothing about the  Ann Arbor are but it sounds super lovely! 

27 minutes ago, christina k said:

I applied late Nov too, but I originally applied for the Joint psych+sw PhD just before it got cancelled and they said theyd consider the app for the msw. I heard back from the ssw late Dec. What program did you apply for? 

I applied to the 16-month MSW program and am hoping to hear back soon. I really don't know if the fact that I haven't heard yet is cause for concern ?

1 hour ago, mswfall2021 said:

I applied to the 16-month MSW program and am hoping to hear back soon. I really don't know if the fact that I haven't heard yet is cause for concern ?

I don’t think it’s cause for concern they accept applications up until March 1st so are probably just still reviewing. Keep the faith and hope you hear good news soon :)

7 hours ago, genericmswname said:

Haha I think that's super true! At least I feel like people here are generally really supportive. 

And wow - that's a super interesting narrative; I'm sure you'll add a ton to the program having had a whole other graduate school experience. Good for you! 

And thank you! I applied for the Jan deadline, a little late - I wasn't sure if I was going to apply this cycle. Yes, I'm a recent grad and it's one of my insecurities right now, I think haha; it's hard to prove you're a mature early-20-something through the application materials. It's a reach, but I'm hoping I'll get in somewhere! 

Cheers to you again! :')

You are so kind! Thank you so much for saying that. I DM'd you if you wanna chat on a different platform haha. No pressure though!

Oh there's so much time for you to get in! And being a recent grad does not take away from your value as a social worker at all. Also, you have this fresh education and will add so much to the field. And, you can start your career much earlier, so it's a great move :). 

Thank you again! Cheers to you as well :)

On 2/8/2021 at 8:55 PM, j.peg said:

I don’t know if anyone else applied to the University of Maryland in this thread, but I heard back from them via email today. I applied in December, but the deadline wasn’t until March so I was a little surprised. I am still waiting on one last school (BU) and UMB is my safety school, but it is nice to have options!

Congratulations!! I'm waiting on one last LOR to be submitted for UMD so this is great to know. Did they give you any details on financial aid with your acceptance? 

6 minutes ago, monavocado said:

Congratulations!! I'm waiting on one last LOR to be submitted for UMD so this is great to know. Did they give you any details on financial aid with your acceptance? 

Thanks!! They did not include financial aid information, they might do it later or only after you accept the offer and put down a deposit (which I am not going to do). If they get back to me and offer me any aid i will respond to you in the thread. Best of luck with your applications!

On 2/9/2021 at 7:24 PM, genericmswname said:

Ah, I see! That makes sense! I also applied for similar reasons initially as I have friends in the area, but have grown more and more interested in the interests and specialities of faculty. It's a huge program with so much potential! 

I only applied to 5 schools, so it's definitely in my top haha - I don't think I have a bottom. 

Good luck to you, and thanks for responding! 

Of course. That’s great! I hope that you get in!

16 hours ago, christina k said:

I don’t think it’s cause for concern they accept applications up until March 1st so are probably just still reviewing. Keep the faith and hope you hear good news soon :)

I think maybe my stress willed it into the universe because I got in to UMich last night :) . Thanks for your help!!