MSW.K

34 minutes ago, amelia1 said:

Out of curiosity, how long did it take Columbia to send you your financial aid package after you got accepted? And had you already submitted the FAFSA? I just got accepted and I'm super excited but money is definitely an issue 

They sent it I believe a week after my acceptance... I then filed a financial aid appeal and that took a week too... still wayyy too much money lol

35 minutes ago, amelia1 said:

Out of curiosity, how long did it take Columbia to send you your financial aid package after you got accepted? And had you already submitted the FAFSA? I just got accepted and I'm super excited but money is definitely an issue 

and yes I had the FAFSA submitted

On 1/22/2021 at 7:13 PM, halsand said:

I just received my acceptance to the University of Denver and I thought I would share since it arrived at an unusual time. I received the email at 7:40 GA time making it 5:40 DU time. It appears I was a later applicant, applying on 1/13. If you were also, please don't feel discouraged! And if you have any question please reach out.

Congratulations and best of luck to those in waiting! 

Congratulations on your acceptance! I will be attending DU as well, starting in June. I received my acceptance two weeks after applying and my peers did as well. Are you in person, online, or Durango? 

13 hours ago, AngieSW said:

Congratulations on your acceptance! I will be attending DU as well, starting in June. I received my acceptance two weeks after applying and my peers did as well. Are you in person, online, or Durango? 

Thank you! Congratulations to you as well! I would begin in September on the Denver campus. Have you opted for campus or online?

Their response turnaround was speedy. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until 2/1

1 minute ago, halsand said:

Thank you! Congratulations to you as well! I would begin in September on the Denver campus. Have you opted for campus or online?

Their response turnaround was speedy. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until 2/1

I live in Western Colorado and I’m unable to move so I will be online (advanced standing) with a concentration in Health & Wellness. I have a peer attending on campus for advanced standing. I think she starts in the fall. I’m a little nervous about online but this last year has been primarily online for my BSW so I hope it’ll go okay. 

My admissions counselor was awesome! I emailed her at the 2 week mark to inquire and she called me the next day to inform me I was accepted. I didn’t receive my formal acceptance until 3 days later. 

If you’re not from Colorado, I think you’ll really enjoy it. I hope you have a great experience in you MSW program! 

Hi everyone! I've applied to SFSU, UCLA, SDSU, Portland State and Chicago. I'm anxious about acceptance rates since I haven't really been able to find much information on them, if anyone has any info on that it would be greatly appreciated! I would love to share personal stats and talk to other people applying to the same schools so I kind of have an idea of who else is applying! Also, has anyone heard back from any of these schools? Thanks!:)

Hi everyone!

I applied to the University of Michigan, Washington University in St. Louis, and the University of Chicago! I’ve been accepted to Michigan and Washington so far. I haven’t heard back from Chicago yet but I’ve decided against their program. WUSTL offered me a great scholarship but I’m still waiting on financial aid from UMich, has anyone received a financial aid package from them yet? Best of luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, fiofarrell17 said:

Hi everyone! I've applied to SFSU, UCLA, SDSU, Portland State and Chicago. I'm anxious about acceptance rates since I haven't really been able to find much information on them, if anyone has any info on that it would be greatly appreciated! I would love to share personal stats and talk to other people applying to the same schools so I kind of have an idea of who else is applying! Also, has anyone heard back from any of these schools? Thanks!:)

Yeah, I'd love to know acceptance rates too! Ah! Especially for Chicago - that's my top choice. 

I'm feeling thankful for all the macro people and recent graduates on the forum. I'm sorry we're together in this wild process, but also glad we have eachother! 

My stats are: 3.9 GPA recent liberal arts grad with a couple awards, honor society memberships and a fellowship. I've led two individual research projects that came with a set of policy recommendations and interned for a type of organization I hope to work for in the macro arena, and again as a researcher for a social service agency. Also interned twice in development, once for a pretty major non-profit. My statement talks about wanting to work in both advocacy and policy analysis with the population I'm hoping to serve, which I have a personal connection to. Lots of school related positions in student organizing and whatnot. Also worked part-time with students with disabilities for 3 years, but didn't really emphasize it. And studied abroad a handful of times - not sure if that counts for anything either! But I hope it does!

Absolutely no idea how competitive any of that is for a macro program. So anxious about this process and the fact that it's the good ol' pandemic year. I'm expecting the whole thing to be way harder than usual. But the forum is eerily quiet? 

What about you guys? Stats? What do these programs even look for? 

Edited by genericmswname

8 hours ago, AngieSW said:

I live in Western Colorado and I’m unable to move so I will be online (advanced standing) with a concentration in Health & Wellness. I have a peer attending on campus for advanced standing. I think she starts in the fall. I’m a little nervous about online but this last year has been primarily online for my BSW so I hope it’ll go okay. 

My admissions counselor was awesome! I emailed her at the 2 week mark to inquire and she called me the next day to inform me I was accepted. I didn’t receive my formal acceptance until 3 days later. 

If you’re not from Colorado, I think you’ll really enjoy it. I hope you have a great experience in you MSW program! 

You're so right! If anything could have prepared you for an online program, it was this past year. 

I'm actually from Georgia. My partner and I are grappling with the cost of living, but we've only heard great things about the state. My parents have been in the Colorado Springs area for work and have really enjoyed it.

I hope you also have a great experience!!

4 hours ago, fiofarrell17 said:

SDSU's FAQ's state that an average of 450 applications are received and 100 students are accepted. UCLA has a website that shows their stats for applications and acceptances. . .around 500 ppl applied and about 150 were accepted. I would anticipate more applicants due to covid.

12 hours ago, Diamond said:

SDSU's FAQ's state that an average of 450 applications are received and 100 students are accepted. UCLA has a website that shows their stats for applications and acceptances. . .around 500 ppl applied and about 150 were accepted. I would anticipate more applicants due to covid.

can you send the link for the UCLA site?

17 hours ago, genericmswname said:

Yeah, I'd love to know acceptance rates too! Ah! Especially for Chicago - that's my top choice. 

I'm feeling thankful for all the macro people and recent graduates on the forum. I'm sorry we're together in this wild process, but also glad we have eachother! 

My stats are: 3.9 GPA recent liberal arts grad with a couple awards, honor society memberships and a fellowship. I've led two individual research projects that came with a set of policy recommendations and interned for a type of organization I hope to work for in the macro arena, and again as a researcher for a social service agency. Also interned twice in development, once for a pretty major non-profit. My statement talks about wanting to work in both advocacy and policy analysis with the population I'm hoping to serve, which I have a personal connection to. Lots of school related positions in student organizing and whatnot. Also worked part-time with students with disabilities for 3 years, but didn't really emphasize it. And studied abroad a handful of times - not sure if that counts for anything either! But I hope it does!

Absolutely no idea how competitive any of that is for a macro program. So anxious about this process and the fact that it's the good ol' pandemic year. I'm expecting the whole thing to be way harder than usual. But the forum is eerily quiet? 

What about you guys? Stats? What do these programs even look for? 

I graduated last spring as well! I double majored in Psychology and Criminal Justice with a 3.9 GPA, Cum Laude and Honor's List. I am hoping to work in a more clinical setting, so my experience is a little different. I volunteered at a Domestic Violence shelter for a year in undergrad and for the past year have been working as a counselor at a non-profit in the bay area. I am a little worried that my experiences don't quite add up to other people's and that I may have to apply again next year, but it's so difficult to know what these schools are looking for! Good luck!:)

20 minutes ago, fiofarrell17 said:

I graduated last spring as well! I double majored in Psychology and Criminal Justice with a 3.9 GPA, Cum Laude and Honor's List. I am hoping to work in a more clinical setting, so my experience is a little different. I volunteered at a Domestic Violence shelter for a year in undergrad and for the past year have been working as a counselor at a non-profit in the bay area. I am a little worried that my experiences don't quite add up to other people's and that I may have to apply again next year, but it's so difficult to know what these schools are looking for! Good luck!:)

That's also what I'm worried about! I feel so silly and naive coming straight from undergrad - even though I know I could do well in a program. 

For what it's worth, and I guess I don't know much about clinical, but you seem incredibly qualified! I think you'll definitely get in. 

Are you also interested in criminal justice? I know Chicago has a justice focused program, are you applying for that concentration? 

18 hours ago, krbsw said:

Hi everyone!

I applied to the University of Michigan, Washington University in St. Louis, and the University of Chicago! I’ve been accepted to Michigan and Washington so far. I haven’t heard back from Chicago yet but I’ve decided against their program. WUSTL offered me a great scholarship but I’m still waiting on financial aid from UMich, has anyone received a financial aid package from them yet? Best of luck to everyone!

Hi! If you don't mind my asking, when did you apply to Michigan? I applied to WUSTL Dec. 15 and heard back Jan. 15 with an acceptance, but Michigan is my top choice and I'm really anxious to hear back. I submitted my application to Michigan 11/24 but my last LOR didn't get submitted until 12/2 so I am not sure if they counted my application as submitted by the priority deadline or not. 

20 minutes ago, mswfall2021 said:

Hi! If you don't mind my asking, when did you apply to Michigan? I applied to WUSTL Dec. 15 and heard back Jan. 15 with an acceptance, but Michigan is my top choice and I'm really anxious to hear back. I submitted my application to Michigan 11/24 but my last LOR didn't get submitted until 12/2 so I am not sure if they counted my application as submitted by the priority deadline or not. 

I applied to Michigan on Nov. 19 and I received an informal phone call letting me know I was accepted on Dec. 9! Their admissions team has been really kind so I'm sure you could reach out and ask about the deadline. I hope you hear back soon!

Hi guys! I received a phone call from Boston University tonight around 5:30pm. Unfortunately, I missed the call, so I have no clue what they were calling me about! I know for a fact that I am not missing any materials so they could not have been calling about that. Did anyone else receive a phone call? Would you mind sharing what the news was? I'm so nervous!

12 hours ago, mswfall2021 said:

For anyone waiting to hear from UChicago, I was emailing with them today about some admissions questions and they said they would be releasing priority deadline decisions within a week!

Yay, thank you so much for letting us know! 

On 2/1/2021 at 8:03 PM, bkcase said:

Did anyone else hear back from Fordham tonight? I was shocked because I just applied a few weeks ago, and judging from reading previous years' threads, they seem to usually send out decisions much later. (Unfortunately, financial package still to come...)

I heard from Fordham as well. Their response was very quick. Still no financial package, but based on the “open house” they said most merit scholarships are $2-7K, $3K for advanced standing.  We shall see. 

what other schools are you waiting for? 

9 hours ago, LML2021 said:

I heard from Fordham as well. Their response was very quick. Still no financial package, but based on the “open house” they said most merit scholarships are $2-7K, $3K for advanced standing.  We shall see. 

what other schools are you waiting for? 

Columbia and Hunter (heard back from Fordham + NYU). What about you?

On 2/1/2021 at 5:11 PM, alzhang said:

Hi guys! I received a phone call from Boston University tonight around 5:30pm. Unfortunately, I missed the call, so I have no clue what they were calling me about! I know for a fact that I am not missing any materials so they could not have been calling about that. Did anyone else receive a phone call? Would you mind sharing what the news was? I'm so nervous!

I got a call from them and it was just someone asking if I had any questions about the application process, even though I had already submitted my application. So it was probably just that and nothing to worry about

On 1/28/2021 at 10:05 AM, bkcase said:

Wanted to share that I got an acceptance to NYU this morning - quite a surprise, as I'm a career-changer and expected that if I got in, the acceptance would come much later. I got a 9k scholarship ?  better than nothing, I suppose, but that tuition price sure hurts!

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing which track you applied for and when you submitted? I’m biting my nails a bit.