MSW.K

On 10/28/2020 at 9:31 AM, MSWAPP2021 said:

Hi everyone, I just recently applied to the part-time online MSW (Non BSW Route) at Laurier. I have heard the admission process is very competitive and I am wondering if I can gain some insight on just how competitive it really is. I have over 10 years of work experience working as an Early Childhood Educator, approximately 5 years in leadership roles as a childcare supervisor (1 Year), support facilitator working with educators to support children with special needs (1 year), and Professional learning consultant where I work with educators and facilitate presentations on various topics to support children and educators in early learning programs(2.7 years and counting). I am completing my final course of my undergrad (Bachelor of Early Childhood Education Honours at Brock University), In my final course I am completing my undergrad thesis which is looking at burnout in Early Childhood Educators and it's implications on their mental well-being as well as the impact on their relationships with children in their care. I am going with the REB route as I have heard that helps with admissions to masters programs. I was able to get a reference from my Thesis Advisor, My colleague who has her BSW, and my Manager at my current place of work, 2 out of three of my references shared what they said about me and they seem like strong references, but I am second guessing my application as I have been reading others comments that many have not been accepted. I am worried that my professional experience is not enough, have their been any successful applicants with an educational background? I believe my current grade average is 80-85% which I believe Laurier considers as competitive. 

I am also wondering if there are any other non BSW part time Masters programs or post grad BSW programs offered in Canada. I was looking at U of T but it seems that it is only offered full time which I am unable to do as I need my job for income, mortgage payments, etc. I have currently only applied to Laurier as it would meet my need for work/school/life balance but am now thinking it may be worth applying to other options as back up?

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and perspectives.....waiting until May 2021 for an admissions decision will test my patience! Good luck to anyone else applying!!

Hello! 
Unfortunately I do not have insight to your questions, but I wanted to respond here to say hello as I am also applying for the part-time online MSW at Laurier (non-BSW). I am currently down a Grad Cafe rabbit hole on this forum realizing just how competitive this program actually is! I have 10+ experience as a teacher, 4 years experience teaching alt ed for disadvantaged youth, 2 years of case management in the prison system, and what I think are strong references). 

I'd also love to know more about similar programs that are offered online. Plus any words of encouragement from successful past applicants who might stumble upon this post! 

Good luck with your application. I hope we are both successful!

5 hours ago, maxwellk said:

Just heard back from University of Denver, got accepted for the 2 year Fall 2021 Denver-campus program!

YAY! congrats! 

On 11/21/2020 at 6:36 AM, rsimons1993 said:

Awesome! I hope everything is going well for you :)

I applied late September. I know they have rolling admissions and I was told I would hear back about 4-6 weeks after applying, which was true in my case.

Thanks for the advice! I will reach out to her

Hey @rsimons1993 I just got into the Tulane on campus program as well. Did she write back to you regarding finacial aid? 

Hey there. So I did reach out to her and I really didn't get much information. I received an email from the financial aid office separately and was advised that I had tasks to do on my portal "to do" list, but when I went to check the tasks, the documents weren't ready on their end. It is something called the Social Work Financial Aid addendum. So I've just been checking in periodically to see when they are ready!

I hope that helps. Let me know if you find out any additional info. And congrats to you too!!

Hey everyone! I am super late to this but I just discovered this website as I was trying to find some guidance with my applications. First off, a huge congrats to all those who have received acceptance letters!!! 

I do not really know anyone who has applied to grad school so I am trying to figure it out as I go. I am applying to East Bay, Sac State (currently completing my undergrad here), Columbia, Chicago, and UPenn. I don't know if I should add more schools or what are some safe schools I should look into. I have a 3.97 GPA but I am worried because I am a criminal justice major and not a BSW student. I don't know if that will impact my application. I have a lot of leadership positions and some work experience. I am the VP of the social work club at my campus so I have been involved.

Does anyone have any stats on these schools or any tips/advice. Thank you and good luck to you all! :) 

On 11/21/2020 at 6:30 AM, MSWKelly said:

Hey! How did your interview go? what did they ask? I am thinking of applying. 

I am almost done with my Columbia and Tulane app. I will keep updated if I hear anything :) 

Hey! Sorry it’s taken me so long I completely forgot to update the forum afterwards. The interview was OK, but I’m not too confident in it. She asked me normal questions i.e. what’s your social work interests, why social work, why UPenn and what experience do you have. She asked me about my CV and asked about things I mentioned on my application. I only provided academic references and she asked me to provide a work one, so I did. After that she said I’d hear back within two weeks. Still waiting lol :( but the lady was nice and has kept me updated.

I think UPenn is my last choice though. I got accepted into UMich which was great. Still waiting for final offer though 

On 10/31/2020 at 9:08 AM, esthermarbx said:

Hey everyone (again) 

is anyone considering UPenn? I got an interview with them which is in early November & im super nervous lol. any tips on preparing?

I made my final decisions and applied to Columbia, NYU, Penn & Michigan. I’ve completed all my applications now (except Michigan - waiting for the last letter of recommendation). I know it’s super early but I’m from the UK and was told when you apply super early they get back to you earlier too, but I’m watching this thread and will keep anyone who’s applying to the same schools updated ?

I am applying to the same four! I did my study abroad in the UK :) We should connect!

17 hours ago, OrangeJuice14 said:

Hey! Has anyone who applied to Columbia December 1 heard back yet? I know it's still early, I think they mention 4 weeks is the usual.. but just so eager! 

Whoa 4 weeks - where’d you hear this? That would be awesome if they got back to us that soon but it seems like (at least from the old forums) that mid feb to late feb is the usual time ppl get their decision. I feel your eagerness though!! 

10 hours ago, Diamond said:

Congratulations!!! Do you plan to accept or are you waiting to hear back from other programs?

Thank you! I applied to PsyD programs as well so waiting to hear back from those before making any decisions. 

3 hours ago, esthermarbx said:

Congratulationsss!!! Did you apply for the online or physical programme? 

Thank you! It was the standard in person track. Best of luck to everyone else applying!

On 12/18/2020 at 6:12 PM, MSWchic said:

Whoa 4 weeks - where’d you hear this? That would be awesome if they got back to us that soon but it seems like (at least from the old forums) that mid feb to late feb is the usual time ppl get their decision. I feel your eagerness though!! 

I attended a lot of info sessions the last few weeks with Columbia and they said they will try to get out the responses to applications submitted by Dec 1  in 4-6 weeks:) 

On 12/16/2020 at 8:11 PM, ZippyZup123 said:

Hey is there anyone that applied to/ heard back from Rutgers? If you got in, are you going?

I heard back from Rutgers on 12/3 with an acceptance! I applied really early though, around November 5th. I probably will be going.

5 hours ago, ColeMSW said:

I heard back from Rutgers on 12/3 with an acceptance! I applied really early though, around November 5th. I probably will be going.

That's really awesome! Congradulations. I did a similar thing you did. I applied 10/30 and heard back 12/10. I already accepted my offer because I did not apply to many school and Rutgers was the one that offered me cheapest tuition with a schedule that works for me.