MSW.K

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to 6 schools, I'm located in NYC right now but am looking across the country.

I just filled out my fafsa today and was doing some funding research but I was curious if anybody had come across any interesting funding opportunities? I looked at NASW and CSWE but finding private scholarships is a lot of legwork! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I'm applying for my MSW this application season.. and starting to get super nervous! I am an Americorps alum, have been interning/volunteering in the non-profit world for a few years now and feel good about my experience. But, I double majored in undergrad which brought down my GPA (3.1) I also am struggling with references- I have tons of employers who I can ask, but only 1 academic so far. Any advice? I want to apply by the priority deadlines (Dec 1 for a lot of the schools) and I want to get into Fordham, NYU, Columbia, UW, UC Berkley, UCLA..Michigan? I also feel pretty confident in my essays. Should I be worried?? Any advice/feedback would be appreciated. 

I'm applying to Ohio State University's MSW program and am nervous. It's the only school I really want to go to as I can't move and already work on campus part-time.  I graduated in 2013 with my Bachelor's in Geography from a small PA school with a 4.0 and completed 4 years of grad school in Geology with a 3.8 before deciding to make a career change. I can't find any stats on acceptance rates and am concerned about only applying to one school. 

On 8/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, MSWKelly said:

@LML2021 hey! That's great. I am trying to attend more virtual webinars this month. So I have a list of about 15 right now that I am narrowing down. (lol)

I have a lot of California schools on my list and a few in Boston and New York.  I think I definitely want to apply to a solid 10 schools. I am starting to work on apps and getting LOR's this month and want to hopfully be done in Novemeber/December. 

I am from California and would be happy with EC or CA. I think it would be nice to live on the EC for a change. 

I am in SoCal and I am applying to five schools: UCLA, CSULA, CSUN and two in Seattle: UW and Seattle University. I am really stuck in drafting my personal statements. I have a lot to say but having trouble following the verbiage. I come from a Nutritional Science background but work in the mental health field. Good luck! 

On 9/4/2020 at 11:08 AM, doievenknow said:

hi everyone! i'm trying to apply to all california schools for my msw and i'm looking at UCLA, SF State, SJ State, and CSU Fullerton/Long Beach/LA. i'm kind of worried to apply for some, as some of the schools require a passing grade in an elementary stats course, and i'm not sure if a class i took during undergrad would count or not. it's a time sensitive manner (ie trying to enroll into a stats course in a local cc, having to take a prerequisite class for the stats course itself) so lowkey stressed but! trying to be chill about it and if anything, i'll hopefully apply for Fall of 2022 instead and add Berkeley to my list. 

another thing i'm ~worried~ about is my lack of social work-like experience due to personal circumstances, but i've recently taken a position to volunteer for a local youth center and hope to weave that in somehow :') 

would love to connect with anyone else, especially those looking into california state schools! 

I am applying to UCLA, CSULA, and CSUN. Their personal statement prompts are all so different and I am very nervous. I don't personally know anyone in my personal life that has reached higher education such as a graduate degree so I am mostly getting through apps on my own. I am also looking to connect and find support in these forums! 

Good luck to you. 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:36 PM, OrangeJuice14 said:

Hey!

I'm applying for my MSW this application season.. and starting to get super nervous! I am an Americorps alum, have been interning/volunteering in the non-profit world for a few years now and feel good about my experience. But, I double majored in undergrad which brought down my GPA (3.1) I also am struggling with references- I have tons of employers who I can ask, but only 1 academic so far. Any advice? I want to apply by the priority deadlines (Dec 1 for a lot of the schools) and I want to get into Fordham, NYU, Columbia, UW, UC Berkley, UCLA..Michigan? I also feel pretty confident in my essays. Should I be worried?? Any advice/feedback would be appreciated. 

The info webinars for UCLA have been helpful. I am also applying at UW! That's my top choice. They have gone over addressing why you received a lower GPA. I am applying with a 3.3 and also nervous but I will be addressing my personal reasons such as caring after my child and at times working 1-2 jobs while earning my degree. I believe as long as you briefly address and attest to your work and school ethic, you should be fine. As far as references, I also have one academic that is solid and one that I am a little worried about because I didn't build such a strong relationship with them -- kind of a filler reference. However, they did say they would go over my resume and PS to get a better understanding of what I have been up to since graduating the program. I hope something like that works out for you!  

Hi everyone!

Is anyone on this thread applying to UC Berkeley's MSW program? I have a question regarding the experience required for admission. I have worked as a Medical Assistant and had direct patient care but I am not sure if that would be acceptable experience. I have other experience that I know for a fact would be accepted, but I'm questioning if I should even bother including MA experience on my resume. The definition for the type of social work experience they are looking for is:

We are looking for experience working directly with and on behalf of people and communities in need, including those experiencing social and emotional distress, vulnerable or marginalized populations, and those who are historically under-served.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

On 10/22/2020 at 1:21 PM, rsimons1993 said:

Hi everyone!

Is anyone on this thread applying to UC Berkeley's MSW program? I have a question regarding the experience required for admission. I have worked as a Medical Assistant and had direct patient care but I am not sure if that would be acceptable experience. I have other experience that I know for a fact would be accepted, but I'm questioning if I should even bother including MA experience on my resume. The definition for the type of social work experience they are looking for is:

We are looking for experience working directly with and on behalf of people and communities in need, including those experiencing social and emotional distress, vulnerable or marginalized populations, and those who are historically under-served.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Email them! Most schools are responding in 2-3 business days or call.

Hi all!

I’m applying this fall to six school CSUF, University of South Florida, Florida State Univ., Boise state, and University of Denver. I’m honestly super nervous about CSUF. I’m a CSUF alumni and have been working in the field for a year and a half but one thing I’m nervous about is my GPA. I feel it’s not competitive compared to others...I have a 3.03, good experience and good letters or Rec. My question is how difficult is it to get in to CSUF? Do I have a decent chance to get it with a GPA like mine? Thanks for easing my anxiety!

Hi everyone, I just recently applied to the part-time online MSW (Non BSW Route) at Laurier. I have heard the admission process is very competitive and I am wondering if I can gain some insight on just how competitive it really is. I have over 10 years of work experience working as an Early Childhood Educator, approximately 5 years in leadership roles as a childcare supervisor (1 Year), support facilitator working with educators to support children with special needs (1 year), and Professional learning consultant where I work with educators and facilitate presentations on various topics to support children and educators in early learning programs(2.7 years and counting). I am completing my final course of my undergrad (Bachelor of Early Childhood Education Honours at Brock University), In my final course I am completing my undergrad thesis which is looking at burnout in Early Childhood Educators and it's implications on their mental well-being as well as the impact on their relationships with children in their care. I am going with the REB route as I have heard that helps with admissions to masters programs. I was able to get a reference from my Thesis Advisor, My colleague who has her BSW, and my Manager at my current place of work, 2 out of three of my references shared what they said about me and they seem like strong references, but I am second guessing my application as I have been reading others comments that many have not been accepted. I am worried that my professional experience is not enough, have their been any successful applicants with an educational background? I believe my current grade average is 80-85% which I believe Laurier considers as competitive. 

I am also wondering if there are any other non BSW part time Masters programs or post grad BSW programs offered in Canada. I was looking at U of T but it seems that it is only offered full time which I am unable to do as I need my job for income, mortgage payments, etc. I have currently only applied to Laurier as it would meet my need for work/school/life balance but am now thinking it may be worth applying to other options as back up?

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and perspectives.....waiting until May 2021 for an admissions decision will test my patience! Good luck to anyone else applying!!

Hey everyone. What are you doing about letters of recommendation? Most programs require 3 letters but since the pandemic hit is has been kinda hard to be super active in the community. I have 2 strong letters. One of them is from my direct boss who is the director of my program and the second one is from the food pantry manager that I have been super active in since the start of the pandemic. I was involved with them pre-pandemic but sporadically. Now I volunteer every weekend and I usually get some of my friends and family to volunteer as well. I also work in advocacy for employment for vulnerable communities. I am having a hard time with my third letter of recommendation.

I have asked two people who both said they would do it, but I have to provide them an outline and I know they are both pretty swamped. I do have a letter from an organization I volunteered with pre-pandemic. I would stay weekend shifts in the hospital with pediatric patients and make sure the was someone with the child so the parents could take a break. The organization is a pretty small one and not well know but through them I volunteered and spend a lot of time in some of the biggest children's hospitals in NY, NJ, and PA. I volunteered with this organization for about a 1.5 years. It has been a while since I was able to return to hospital volunteering so I don't know if I should use this experience as my third letter. I also don't know if schools care about name recognition as this organization is not well known and only affiliated with local hospitals. No hospital name is really tied with this organization. 

Does anyone have any advice or having trouble picking the three letters to send in? 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:36 PM, OrangeJuice14 said:

Hey!

for references, at least when i attended the ucla webinar, they seemed to be pretty understanding of circumstances so having one academic reference should be fine! you can always email the department and ask, they usually respond within the week :) good luck! 

Hey everyone (again) 

is anyone considering UPenn? I got an interview with them which is in early November & im super nervous lol. any tips on preparing?

I made my final decisions and applied to Columbia, NYU, Penn & Michigan. I’ve completed all my applications now (except Michigan - waiting for the last letter of recommendation). I know it’s super early but I’m from the UK and was told when you apply super early they get back to you earlier too, but I’m watching this thread and will keep anyone who’s applying to the same schools updated ?

12 hours ago, esthermarbx said:

Hey everyone (again) 

is anyone considering UPenn? I got an interview with them which is in early November & im super nervous lol. any tips on preparing?

I made my final decisions and applied to Columbia, NYU, Penn & Michigan. I’ve completed all my applications now (except Michigan - waiting for the last letter of recommendation). I know it’s super early but I’m from the UK and was told when you apply super early they get back to you earlier too, but I’m watching this thread and will keep anyone who’s applying to the same schools updated ?

Hey I am not applying to UPenn but I can tell you a couple of tips to prepare for the interview.

1) Make sure to listen to the questions and demonstrate with your experience and knowledge of why you would be a good social worker. Bringing up past history is ok, but that should not be your main reason for applying. That'll raise red flags.

2) Demonstrate some humility. You want to show them that you are qualified, but you are also applying to get into grad school. They will want someone they can teach and will accept guidance.

3) It is really ok to be nervous. The person interviewing you will kinda expect this. Just take a deep breathe and focus on your situation at hand.

4) I don't know if this will apply to you, but for some people, recognizing that they come from a place of privilege might be beneficial. Not in an apologetic way but "I know in my community, I had access to X help. I recognize that not everyone was as fortunate as I am and I want to ensure that everyone has access to care." Something like that. There is a fine line with this one, so it's good to be aware of it. I think just recognize and be subtle about it if it applies to you. 

5) Be honest but professional. Circle back to my first point. 

6) Get something that you like afterwards. Interviews are super stressful and even if you feel that you did not do so well, recognize that you did your best and all you can do now is wait and see (which is the worst in my opinion :/) 

Good luck!

Hello Everyone!

I'm so glad to have found this forum! I don't know anyone besides myself from my classes that hasn't started their applications to graduates schools for MSW programs yet. I have decided what schools I'm applying for and just need to write some essays and find some contacts/research opportunities, I feel like I'm late already. 

I live in Fort Lauderdale and go to Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton. I did not realize how much I would love being in school when I came back, so I'm already planning for after graduate school. The unfortunate part about applying for advanced standing is that schools don't seem to want to let you stay for any longer than you have to, so I'm already thinking about what can come after, but my husband said I have to work and spend time with him (I'm not working this year or next year).

So, I'm a bit later in the game than most of you probably are. I returned to college at the age of 37 to finish my bachelors. I am graduating this spring with my BSW. I put myself on a speedy track to get it completed, as quickly as possible (a little too quick, I only needed one class this semester before field next semester), but I did have a personal goal of getting my bachelors before I turn 40 (I'm 39) and I'll be getting my master's while I'm 40 (sounds better then 41).

The truth behind my story is that in 2001, I had no choice but to take a medical withdrawal from the first university that I had attended, which I started the Fall after my high school graduation in 1999. . However, my life lead me to a 17 addiction to drugs and alcohol. When I got sober, I looked towards the rest of my life, and I thought about what I need to do to prevent any regret about  how I wasted the past 17 years, and how I can take advantage of it, learn from it, and make something positive out of it. That is what lead me to social work. I went back to school while I was only 6 months sober. I now have over 2 years.

I've decided to apply to the following schools: Columbia University, Tulane University, Florida International University in Miami (for their pHD Fellowship that also covers graduate school), and my current school, Florida Atlantic University).

I would love an on-campus experience. I can't believe It will have taken me  literally 20 years to the semester for me to get back to school and graduate. I have worked so hard to handle my undergraduate program as the beginning of my career and showing my value. I think my age and life experiences have brought a lot to the table. 

Is anyone afraid that 2021-2022 is going to be online only? Good luck to everyone! 

Next on my list is Columbia's four essays, and hoping for enough aid, grants, fellowships, scholarships, lottery tickets, anything I can use to pay for it. if I get in, of course...

Neal

Edited by NealS81

On 11/1/2020 at 4:53 AM, NealS81 said:

Hello Everyone!

I'm so glad to have found this forum! I don't know anyone besides myself from my classes that hasn't started their applications to graduates schools for MSW programs yet. I have decided what schools I'm applying for and just need to write some essays and find some contacts/research opportunities, I feel like I'm late already. 

I live in Fort Lauderdale and go to Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton. I did not realize how much I would love being in school when I came back, so I'm already planning for after graduate school. The unfortunate part about applying for advanced standing is that schools don't seem to want to let you stay for any longer than you have to, so I'm already thinking about what can come after, but my husband said I have to work and spend time with him (I'm not working this year or next year).

So, I'm a bit later in the game than most of you probably are. I returned to college at the age of 37 to finish my bachelors. I am graduating this spring with my BSW. I put myself on a speedy track to get it completed, as quickly as possible (a little too quick, I only needed one class this semester before field next semester), but I did have a personal goal of getting my bachelors before I turn 40 (I'm 39) and I'll be getting my master's while I'm 40 (sounds better then 41).

The truth behind my story is that in 2001, I had no choice but to take a medical withdrawal from the first university that I had attended, which I started the Fall after my high school graduation in 1999. . However, my life lead me to a 17 addiction to drugs and alcohol. When I got sober, I looked towards the rest of my life, and I thought about what I need to do to prevent any regret about  how I wasted the past 17 years, and how I can take advantage of it, learn from it, and make something positive out of it. That is what lead me to social work. I went back to school while I was only 6 months sober. I now have over 2 years.

I've decided to apply to the following schools: Columbia University, Tulane University, Florida International University in Miami (for their pHD Fellowship that also covers graduate school), and my current school, Florida Atlantic University).

I would love an on-campus experience. I can't believe It will have taken me  literally 20 years to the semester for me to get back to school and graduate. I have worked so hard to handle my undergraduate program as the beginning of my career and showing my value. I think my age and life experiences have brought a lot to the table. 

Is anyone afraid that 2021-2022 is going to be online only? Good luck to everyone! 

Next on my list is Columbia's four essays, and hoping for enough aid, grants, fellowships, scholarships, lottery tickets, anything I can use to pay for it. if I get in, of course...

Neal

Wow! Huge congrats to you- for overcoming addiction, going back to school, and looking forward to graduate school. I am so happy for you and the social work field will be blessed to have you joining in. 

To answer your question at the end - Yes! I am incredibly nervous that it may be online. To be quite honest, after working both remotely and in person over the past 6+ months, I've come to learn I am not quite good at doing efficient and productive work that is the best of my ability. I would consider deferring and working another year if things are online...

Anyway, only time will tell. Best of luck to you and I'm excited to hear where you may end up! The only school we have in common is Columbia... hopefully see you there! Also, don't worry about starting applications now. I haven't submitted a single one and still plan to before the Dec 1 deadline! We'll be OK :) 

On 10/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, Carovee said:

I am applying to UCLA, CSULA, and CSUN. Their personal statement prompts are all so different and I am very nervous. I don't personally know anyone in my personal life that has reached higher education such as a graduate degree so I am mostly getting through apps on my own. I am also looking to connect and find support in these forums! 

Good luck to you. 

I can definitely relate to you! No one I personally know has obtained a graduate degree. Even when I was applying for my Bachelor's I had to figure everything out, lol! I attended UCLA for undergrad and want to go back to the area so I'm also applying to Southern California schools. Good luck :)

I recently received my acceptance to Temple and UPenn. I won't hear back from UPenn regarding financial assistance until early January. Temple did not provide any info on financial assistance/ scholarships. I have a very good GPA and am really hoping to get good scholarships and aid. Does anyone have any info about how much financial assistance/ scholarships these schools provide? I'm funding my degree myself and really don't want to go into more than 50k of debt. Is that a realistic goal?

On 11/6/2020 at 2:54 PM, red_carrot said:

I recently received my acceptance to Temple and UPenn. I won't hear back from UPenn regarding financial assistance until early January. Temple did not provide any info on financial assistance/ scholarships. I have a very good GPA and am really hoping to get good scholarships and aid. Does anyone have any info about how much financial assistance/ scholarships these schools provide? I'm funding my degree myself and really don't want to go into more than 50k of debt. Is that a realistic goal?

congratulations!! when did you apply? do you mind sharing your stats? i'm in a similar position (as in dont want to get above a certain level of debt). I'm from the UK but there are quite a few scholarships available here for me to come abroad, but I also want to see if I'm offered anything from universities if i get in, as the scholarships here are super competitive and not guaranteed. do you have a first choice university?

I went to UCLA for undergrad graduated in 2017 and some of my friends who graduated with me went straight into the MSW program at UCLA. It’s so nice to see a lot of people apply!! The campus is beautiful and Westwood is really nice. I miss it! Good luck!!

I’m only applying to one school Columbia! I’ve started the application process back in September when it opened but now I’m stuck. I’ve asked 5 professors and a professor I worked with a UCLA for RA things for LORs and only one responded. I’ve followed up with them and I’m really understanding with the pandemic bc majority of them are teaching online so they must be swamped. Not sure if I can get it in my the priority deadline, does anyone know what that means exactly? From what I remember from the info sessions it doesn’t mean early decision right?   
Also I’ve been currently doing grant proposals and research for a professor at a university back home to gain more experience and what would be a good time to ask if they can write me a LOR? I just started in September so it’s pretty fresh. The only thing is I want to submit my app by the deadline of dec. 1st. I’ve also heard that you can submit your application by dec 1st and they give a bit of leeway for LORs but they aren’t going to read your app until it’s completed with all LORs. 
Also how acceptable would be a LOR from a elementary school teacher that just retired this year? I’ve done volunteer work with her since 2012. But I’m pretty sure she doesn’t have access to school letterheads or emails. These are minor details for sure but I’m wondering if they need to explain they retired this year. I’m just concerned haha. 

Hello everyone! I just got my acceptance letter from Columbia. I applied for 2021 Spring but they offered me for 2021 Fall which I’m totally cool with. I applied for the online program! 
I accepted BU’s offer but since Columbia was my first choice and goal I’ll choose them. Wishing everyone the best with their application.

Edited by Graeae

Hey everyone! I am so happy I found this thread! I have been feeling very nervous about the application process. I am applying to CSU LA, CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach and CSU Northridge.  My GPA is okay I am at a 3.4 overall and 3.7 for my last 60 units, I have 3 year experience for Social Work , I am just feeling a bit nervous about my statement and letter of recs.