MSW.K

29 minutes ago, crossingallmyfingers said:

Has anyone applied to Smith's MSW program and heard back? From past years it looks like the might only send out answers in Feb but I am dying of anticipation. 

I also applied to Columbia, NYU, and UT Austin and haven't heard back yet... sending hugs to all the other ppl on here anxiously waiting! 

I did get into DU very quickly after applying, so at least I'm going somewhere :) Good luck to us all!!

I applied to Columbia and NYU and haven't heard back either but it seems like they started rolling out decisions. When did you apply to those schools?

6 minutes ago, crossingallmyfingers said:

I applied to Columbia 12/1 and NYU 12/20...so hoping to hear from Columbia soon!

I applied to Columbia 12/1 as well! I think it'll be a few more weeks before we hear back. I applied to NYU 12/28 and haven't heard back, but some people on here applied after us and got accepted. I'm really hoping this doesn't mean rejection. I thought I would hear from NYU this week but nothing so far. 

2 minutes ago, MSWCY said:

I applied to Columbia 12/1 as well! I think it'll be a few more weeks before we hear back. I applied to NYU 12/28 and haven't heard back, but some people on here applied after us and got accepted. I'm really hoping this doesn't mean rejection. I thought I would hear from NYU this week but nothing so far. 

When I look back on years previous, I see majority of acceptances for both programs came out around the end of Feb. and beginning of March! 

3 minutes ago, MSWCY said:

I know - it's scary having the weeks go by! Fingers crossed for both of us!

Hi everyone! I just got accepted to NYU for full-time on campus program in Fall 2021. Wanted to share in case this is helpful: my application was submitted on 12/29, recieved an email about completion status on 1/5, and acceptance this morning, 1/22. I received an email to check my portal at about 10am. 

Still anxiously waiting to hear from my other choices.?

NYU offered me a scholarship and I'm wondering if anyone knows the average scholarship amount that they offer? Just wondering if what they have offered me is considered generous or small, as I may want to appeal for more aid. 

Good luck to all those still waiting and congrats to those accepted!

57 minutes ago, mswhopeful21 said:

Hi everyone! I just got accepted to NYU for full-time on campus program in Fall 2021. Wanted to share in case this is helpful: my application was submitted on 12/29, recieved an email about completion status on 1/5, and acceptance this morning, 1/22. I received an email to check my portal at about 10am. 

NYU offered me a scholarship and I'm wondering if anyone knows the average scholarship amount that they offer? Just wondering if what they have offered me is considered generous or small, as I may want to appeal for more aid. 

Hi - congrats!!  I got my acceptance from NYU this morning too! Also around 10am. I applied to the full time / on campus program, clinical concentration, and submitted my app on 12/20 (was complete on 12/20 too). They offered me a scholarship too for $10,000 - how much was yours? 

30 minutes ago, crossingallmyfingers said:

Hi - congrats!!  I got my acceptance from NYU this morning too! Also around 10am. I applied to the full time / on campus program, clinical concentration, and submitted my app on 12/20 (was complete on 12/20 too). They offered me a scholarship too for $10,000 - how much was yours? 

Congrats to you as well! So worried I won't hear from other schools before their 8-week response deadline. 

They offered me $12,000, so it seems like we're both within a decent range. Still such expensive tuition ?

1 hour ago, mswhopeful21 said:

Congrats! I just got my acceptance as well with a $12,000 scholarship, but still so expensive! I didn't submit my application until 1/7 so I was surprised to hear back so soon...I'm not even done applying to other schools yet :0

45 minutes ago, Luisa206 said:

Congrats! I just got my acceptance as well with a $12,000 scholarship, but still so expensive! I didn't submit my application until 1/7 so I was surprised to hear back so soon...I'm not even done applying to other schools yet :0

hey everybody congrats to all! just quick question - did any of you apply for advanced standing or for the regular track program? 

2 minutes ago, socialwork342 said:

hey everybody congrats to all! just quick question - did any of you apply for advanced standing or for the regular track program? 

I did the regular two-year track so I don't have any insights on advanced standing. Best of luck to you though! 

3 hours ago, Luisa206 said:

Oh wow that is fast. I'm actually really impressed with NYU's response time. Congrats! 

I just received my acceptance to the University of Denver and I thought I would share since it arrived at an unusual time. I received the email at 7:40 GA time making it 5:40 DU time. It appears I was a later applicant, applying on 1/13. If you were also, please don't feel discouraged! And if you have any question please reach out.

Congratulations and best of luck to those in waiting! 

22 hours ago, mswhopeful21 said:

Congrats to you as well! So worried I won't hear from other schools before their 8-week response deadline. 

They offered me $12,000, so it seems like we're both within a decent range. Still such expensive tuition ?

They offered me $15K but still not much at allll in comparison to the cost of the course, sad as this is one of my top choices but now better financial aid offers from other universities could sway my decision ?

On 1/19/2021 at 10:27 AM, madisonc7 said:

Just popping in again to say that I applied to priority deadlines with Columbia on Dec. 1 and didn't receive my acceptance until like March 5th. I was freaked out for many-a-months thinking it meant I was like shadow waitlisted. The reality is, they get to everyone's applications at different rates so be patient. I called their office probably 4 times making sure I didn’t miss anything, too, because last year they accidentally allowed all of us access to the admitted students seminar scheduling. Talk about false hope.  

UPenn responded the fastest by far, offering me admission the day after my interview. UWash got back to me in like mid-April after I'd already accepted CU's offer. Every other program took on average 3-5 weeks I'd say. 

I went totally insane waiting, but most schools update around 5pm their time on weekdays, so I paid specific attention at that time and it rarely yielded results. Try to make sure you aren't hyperfocused, you'll find out eventually :)

(I deferred to 2021 due to COVID)

This was so helpful, thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to go to Columbia? The program looks amazing but I'm just so worried about the cost of living.

3 hours ago, sonalikm said:

This was so helpful, thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to go to Columbia? The program looks amazing but I'm just so worried about the cost of living.

Honestly, I really wanted a program specific to immigration work, or a program that could translate easily over to other countries should I decide to move (my partner is dead set on Berlin one day). Overall, I liked NYU the best. I loved it's location, I loved the personalities, and their offices seemed communicative and kind at all times. 

Columbia ticked me off time and time again, and still struggle with communication on all fronts. ie: the accidentally leading all of us to believe we were accepted, them accidentally scheduling me interviews for field placements for this spring semester even though I'm deferred until fall, then not getting back to me when I asked how to handle these interviewers when I couldn't take their offers, etc. People are NOT happy in the 2020 cohort Facebook, to say the least, either (unqualified professors for the new PROP courses, also the new tuition strike, but that should be the same everywhere). But, quite frankly, the name value and highly specialized/specific programs is what took the cake for me. They offer research fellowships, too, which I didn't come across as widely with other schools.

Also, the main campus really is beautiful and it feels kind of magical to just be there. There's also a Dunkin' like right next to the CSSW building which may have swayed me, if only slightly.

I also come from a family of teachers (my stepdad included- a dean of a university) and so they seemed largely unenthused that I wouldn't choose an Ivy League which probably did play a little into my decision.

Would I change it now? No. If I knew then what I've realized in the past year? I may have chosen differently. But I'm not unhappy with my choice, either. It's two years, and I know that the name alone will help me secure spots in the spaces I want to hold. 

I hope this helps! All options have their flaws. It's just which you can handle easier for the short time you'll be there and if the pros outweigh the cons.

Oh! And on price of living, with COVID- a lot of rent has dropped in places in NYC! + Denver, Seattle, other MSW cities have started to raise rent to around the same price. We just can't escape the price gouging anymore. 

Edited by madisonc7

3 hours ago, OrangeJuice14 said:

Anyone hear anything from columbia yet.... its killing me

Nope!! There was one result that someone had been accepted yet I'm not sure if I trust it. 

Also, if/once accepted, where do people plan on living? 

10 hours ago, tallgradstudent said:

Nope!! There was one result that someone had been accepted yet I'm not sure if I trust it. 

I'm really fluid to living wherever, it's the finding roommates I'm more concerned with. Especially with no new student group on Facebook yet?

15 hours ago, tallgradstudent said:

I got in on January 13th. I received an email saying admissions made a decision and to check it on the portal. I received the email around 2:45 PST. I applied around November 22nd. I expressed interest in the advanced clinical sw practice, and the dual MPH program. Luckily got into Mailman’s population and family health department too. I don’t want to look at where I might live though until I get financial aid packages lol. I’m waiting to hear back from Boston U, UC Berkeley and UT Austin. Looks like these school don’t start releasing decisions until February though :(

1 hour ago, aqueeroz said:

I got in on January 13th. I received an email saying admissions made a decision and to check it on the portal. I received the email around 2:45 PST. I applied around November 22nd. I expressed interest in the advanced clinical sw practice, and the dual MPH program. Luckily got into Mailman’s population and family health department too. I don’t want to look at where I might live though until I get financial aid packages lol. I’m waiting to hear back from Boston U, UC Berkeley and UT Austin. Looks like these school don’t start releasing decisions until February though :(

hey!! oof. I applied to the dual in pop fam too!!! AHH I am so jealous and eager to hear back. If you don't mind can you share stats? and congrats again!!

Edited by OrangeJuice14

I got my acceptance to NYU this morning! It's my dream school but tuition and cost of living is so expensive. Does anyone know when they send financial aid packages? I got 12k scholarship as well.

Also, do we send our official transcripts now or after we accept the offer? The email says 8 weeks to accept/decline. I'm still waiting on 6 other schools, did anyone request an extension and for how long?

Edited by MSWCY

I got my acceptance with scholarship this morning from NYU as well!! I am beyond excited :) 

I think -send official transcripts when the offer is accepted! 

Not sure about when financial aid packages come out though. BUT YAY!!

For those wondering, I got an "MSW application completed" email from NYU on JAN.11

Edited by MSWKelly