MSW.K

On 11/9/2020 at 7:23 PM, Graeae said:

Hello everyone! I just got my acceptance letter from Columbia. I applied for 2021 Spring but they offered me for 2021 Fall which I’m totally cool with. I applied for the online program! 
I accepted BU’s offer but since Columbia was my first choice and goal I’ll choose them. Wishing everyone the best with their application.

Ah, Congrats! I am hoping to get into Columbia for Fall 2021. How long did it take for them to get back to you? If you don't mind, can you share your stats? Thanks so much.

1 hour ago, OrangeJuice14 said:

Ah, Congrats! I am hoping to get into Columbia for Fall 2021. How long did it take for them to get back to you? If you don't mind, can you share your stats? Thanks so much.

Thank you so much! Good luck! 
Have you already applied? I applied for Spring initially but they said the classes were full so they extended their offer to Fall. My gpa from my English degree was 3.15 and the gpa from my psychology studies was 4.0. I also have work experience in teaching and tutoring. What are your stats like? Will you apply to other schools? Are you looking into online or on site? 

2 hours ago, Graeae said:

Thank you so much! Good luck! 
Have you already applied? I applied for Spring initially but they said the classes were full so they extended their offer to Fall. My gpa from my English degree was 3.15 and the gpa from my psychology studies was 4.0. I also have work experience in teaching and tutoring. What are your stats like? Will you apply to other schools? Are you looking into online or on site? 

I have not applied yet, hoping to apply for Fall 2021 and meet the Dec 1 deadline! I am applying for on site. My cumulative was a 3.2 and my major 3.7. I have pretty good work/volunteer experience, so I'm really hoping I hear good news. 

Hi Guys! I haven't seen anyone on this forum talk about schools in Texas but if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. I am currently working on applications for University of Houston, University of Texas at Austin/Arlington, and Baylor. I studied public relations and military science at the University of Alabama and graduated in May 2020. I graduated with a lower GPA then I would have liked, a 3.08 but am hopeful that my references (I am going to submit as many as the specific schools will allow me) and my writing will help boost my application. 

Again if anyone has any insight or has applied there or is currently applying there I would love to chat! Thank you.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:08 AM, doievenknow said:

hi everyone! i'm trying to apply to all california schools for my msw and i'm looking at UCLA, SF State, SJ State, and CSU Fullerton/Long Beach/LA. i'm kind of worried to apply for some, as some of the schools require a passing grade in an elementary stats course, and i'm not sure if a class i took during undergrad would count or not. it's a time sensitive manner (ie trying to enroll into a stats course in a local cc, having to take a prerequisite class for the stats course itself) so lowkey stressed but! trying to be chill about it and if anything, i'll hopefully apply for Fall of 2022 instead and add Berkeley to my list. 

another thing i'm ~worried~ about is my lack of social work-like experience due to personal circumstances, but i've recently taken a position to volunteer for a local youth center and hope to weave that in somehow :') 

would love to connect with anyone else, especially those looking into california state schools! 

Hey! I am also applying to CSU Fullerton/ Long Beah/ La. I actually submitted Long beach and LA today. CSU Long beach has a list of approved stats courses on their website! LA uses the same list!

Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well with the applications and congrats to those who have received acceptance letters. I was recently accepted to the Tulane MSW on campus program. Does anyone have have any information regarding their financial aid? The aid office hasn't been super helpful recently. I know their offices have been closed on and off due to the hurricanes unfortunately. Anyone with connections to the program or with information on how generous they are with aid? Thanks!

1 hour ago, rsimons1993 said:

Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well with the applications and congrats to those who have received acceptance letters. I was recently accepted to the Tulane MSW on campus program. Does anyone have have any information regarding their financial aid? The aid office hasn't been super helpful recently. I know their offices have been closed on and off due to the hurricanes unfortunately. Anyone with connections to the program or with information on how generous they are with aid? Thanks!

Hey hey! Congratualtions!! I am also applying to Tulane soon- can I ask when you applied/when you got in? 

Also, I would try and reach out to Sierra Kilpatrick- skilpatrick@tulane.edu. She may be able to guide you in the right direction! 

On 10/31/2020 at 6:08 AM, esthermarbx said:

Hey everyone (again) 

is anyone considering UPenn? I got an interview with them which is in early November & im super nervous lol. any tips on preparing?

I made my final decisions and applied to Columbia, NYU, Penn & Michigan. I’ve completed all my applications now (except Michigan - waiting for the last letter of recommendation). I know it’s super early but I’m from the UK and was told when you apply super early they get back to you earlier too, but I’m watching this thread and will keep anyone who’s applying to the same schools updated ?

Hey! How did your interview go? what did they ask? I am thinking of applying. 

I am almost done with my Columbia and Tulane app. I will keep updated if I hear anything :) 

On 11/18/2020 at 6:35 PM, MSWKelly said:

Hey hey! Congratualtions!! I am also applying to Tulane soon- can I ask when you applied/when you got in? 

Also, I would try and reach out to Sierra Kilpatrick- skilpatrick@tulane.edu. She may be able to guide you in the right direction! 

Awesome! I hope everything is going well for you :)

I applied late September. I know they have rolling admissions and I was told I would hear back about 4-6 weeks after applying, which was true in my case.

Thanks for the advice! I will reach out to her

Is anyone else having a hard time with the SoP and Personal History Statements? I feel like I'm getting so bogged down in the details and it is so overwhelming! I am working on my final one for the Dec 1 deadline and feel more stressed than anything else. 

22 hours ago, sonalikm said:

Is anyone else having a hard time with the SoP and Personal History Statements? I feel like I'm getting so bogged down in the details and it is so overwhelming! I am working on my final one for the Dec 1 deadline and feel more stressed than anything else. 

Yes! I totally feel you. And same here. I am trying to get CU in by the first- they essays aren't too bad though. I would say really follow the prompts and try to expand as much as you can to meet the word count/page req.  

On 11/17/2020 at 2:42 AM, OrangeJuice14 said:

I have not applied yet, hoping to apply for Fall 2021 and meet the Dec 1 deadline! I am applying for on site. My cumulative was a 3.2 and my major 3.7. I have pretty good work/volunteer experience, so I'm really hoping I hear good news. 

On 11/17/2020 at 2:42 AM, OrangeJuice14 said:

I agree with you. Try to follow the prompts and expand as much as you can. I think as long as you sound genuine and enthusiastic and proper with your writing, you’ll be fine :) 

good luck! Let us know how it goes

20 minutes ago, MSWKelly said:

Yes! I totally feel you. And same here. I am trying to get CU in by the first- they essays aren't too bad though. I would say really follow the prompts and try to expand as much as you can to meet the word count/page req.  

Are you applying to Columbia for online?

2 minutes ago, Graeae said:

Are you applying to Columbia for online?

I am applying for on campus. I thought about online-- but I want to do in person for the field palcements in that area and live in a new place. I am from Nor cal, so it would be a big change. You are online right? Also, are you doing online at BU? (Congrats btw!!) 

Just now, MSWKelly said:

I am applying for on campus. I thought about online-- but I want to do in person for the field palcements in that area and live in a new place. I am from Nor cal, so it would be a big change. You are online right? Also, are you doing online at BU? (Congrats btw!!) 

Thanks! That is fair enough for sure. Good luck with your application. 
I got accepted by BU and Columbia and I decided to go with Columbia since their online program stood out a little bit more structured. I also believe it offers more variety as far as the curriculum goes. I recently moved to Montana because of my family’s military service, so the online program was my online option.

I would love to connect! Are you applying for 2021 Fall? Good luck again!

On 11/16/2020 at 8:42 PM, OrangeJuice14 said:

Hi! I am also applying for Fall 2021 :) I have absolutely no idea how to work this website but hi!!

On 11/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, Graeae said:

Thanks! That is fair enough for sure. Good luck with your application. 
I got accepted by BU and Columbia and I decided to go with Columbia since their online program stood out a little bit more structured. I also believe it offers more variety as far as the curriculum goes. I recently moved to Montana because of my family’s military service, so the online program was my online option.

I would love to connect! Are you applying for 2021 Fall? Good luck again!

Thank you :)  And congrats to you and CU! ?

And yes, I am applying for Fall 2021 in person. And definitely- I will message you!

9 hours ago, abetterworld said:

Hi! I am also applying for Fall 2021 :) I have absolutely no idea how to work this website but hi!!

Yes- this website is tricky lol. I kind of want to make a Groupme- quick messages and easier to respond. Not sure if people would join though. 

On 11/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, Minhessica said:

For those applying to Columbia, I know the essays differ but for those who are doing on campus 2 year program...would you say the first essay prompt is a personal statement, statement of purpose or a mix of both? 

I know for me, I wrote it as a mix of both but leaning more towards a statement of purpose!