MSW.K

4 hours ago, lil_lil said:

Hey there,

Has anyone successfully received a decision deadline extension from USC, and for how long? I was accepted last week, but was surprised by the 2 week turnaround. Still waiting on several programs. I've emailed for an extension and haven't heard back.

I was accepted last week on Thursday and emailed them that night asking for an extension and haven't heard back either but I'm meeting with an admissions counselor today so I'll see what happens.

2 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

I was accepted last week on Thursday and emailed them that night asking for an extension and haven't heard back either but I'm meeting with an admissions counselor today so I'll see what happens.

Ah, I imagine there are many of us. Would love to hear if you learn anything, and congrats on your acceptance! 

28 minutes ago, lil_lil said:

Ah, I imagine there are many of us. Would love to hear if you learn anything, and congrats on your acceptance! 

Thank you! Congrats to you too! I just spoke with the admissions counselor. I asked him some questions regarding the program and financial aid. So the full financial aid package will not be generated until June. I was able to get an extension to March 18th and he said I can email him if I needed more time after that! 

Hi y'all! I've been reading this forum for a while and have really appreciated feeling like I'm not totally alone in this wild process. I wanted to share about the schools I've heard from, noting that timing has been a question in many previous messages.

Penn: Applied 12/5, Interviewed 1/7, Accepted via phone call and informal email same day 1/7, Official acceptance letter available in portal with scholarship offer 1/14.

Columbia: Applied 11/19 with my final recommendation submitted 11/27, Accepted via online portal (with an email letting me know decision was ready) 1/13, Scholarship offer & financial aid info received 1/19.

Michigan: Applied 11/15 with final recommendation submitted some time before the early deadline in Dec, Accepted via phone call and informal email on 1/12, Official acceptance letter available in portal 2/5 without scholarship or financial aid information.

Denver: Applied 12/23, Accepted via email 1/14, Official letter + Scholarship offer received via portal 1/15.

I'm waiting to hear from UC Berkeley and the University of Washington, and wondering if anyone has heard from them yet, or knows anything about their timeline? From what I've read it sounds like I can't expect to hear from UW until March, and Berkeley should let us know before March 1st (soon!)? Do folks know if they typically give out financial/scholarship info in their initial offers? Additionally, does anyone know when Michigan typically sends out scholarship/FA offers? I'm worried because Columbia has only given me an extension until March 15th to accept or reject their offer, and I'm not sure if they will give me another extension... Thank you all! :)

Edited by Sarah77

did anyone who applied to columbia MSW advanced standing have to postpone their field supervision paperwork? I had to postpone mine since I am doing field in the summer & am wondering if that is why there is a delay in my decision. I applied on 12/1 and haven't heard anything back :( 

Hi @lil_lil I received an acceptance email from USC on 1/29 and was also very surprised at how quickly they wanted a decision! ? I was going back and forth wondering if I should ask for an extension (I didn't get much financial aid, and I'm still waiting to hear from two other programs), since they wanted my deposit by 2/12. However, my USC admissions counselor sent me an email on 2/8 checking in and asking if I needed more time. I replied yes, that a week would be great, and he ended up extending my deposit deadline all the way until March 5th, which I really appreciated! I'm hoping to have heard back from the other programs by then, but regardless, it seems like USC is willing to work with us on that deadline. I hope your hear back soon and that you'll have all the time you need to make a decision. Congrats on your acceptance ☺️

On 2/15/2021 at 6:48 PM, bkcase said:

Today of all days, I was not expecting to hear from Columbia (don't schools observe Presidents Day?), but I did! Just received an acceptance. I applied 12/15. Anyone else hear back today?

Congrats on your acceptance!! I applied on 12/1 and still waiting to hear back, but hopefully sometime this week!

21 minutes ago, cp98 said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! I applied on 12/1 and still waiting to hear back, but hopefully sometime this week!

I applied on 12/1 as well! Have you done your field internship/were you able to turn in the field supervisor form? Or did you have to defer turning it in (if you don't mind me asking!)

9 minutes ago, gradschoolsocialwork said:

I applied on 12/1 as well! Have you done your field internship/were you able to turn in the field supervisor form? Or did you have to defer turning it in (if you don't mind me asking!)

I applied as a two year applicant, not advance standing (I assume you're advance standing because I have none of those forms lol). 

19 minutes ago, waterbottle9909 said:

For those of you who interviewed with PENN, how quickly did you hear back and were you accepted/rejected? Thank you! I am nervous because I had my interview yesterday and I saw that a few people heard back the same day/next day and I haven't heard anything yet.

I interviewed on a Wednesday and got my acceptance the following Monday, so don't panic! I'm sure you did great and will hear back soon!

For my Penn folks, any word of advice? My friend applied 1/25 (last day) and still hasn't heard back with information about an interview... not sure if I should urge her to email them or if they just received a huge influx of applications (since that was the deadline for early admission) and if she should just keep waiting

8 minutes ago, sjk155 said:

For my Penn folks, any word of advice? My friend applied 1/25 (last day) and still hasn't heard back with information about an interview... not sure if I should urge her to email them or if they just received a huge influx of applications (since that was the deadline for early admission) and if she should just keep waiting

I’m in the same exact boat so I wouldn’t stress! 

On 2/15/2021 at 10:58 AM, tia. said:

Boston College sent me my acceptance on 2/12 and said I have to give them a decision by 3/5. This seems extremely short, right? I'm still waiting on Columbia, Hunter, Boston University, and my Penn interview to decide what I'm going to do.

If you don’t hear back from your other schools you can ask for an extension on your decision date. 

15 hours ago, Sarah77 said:

Hi y'all! I've been reading this forum for a while and have really appreciated feeling like I'm not totally alone in this wild process. I wanted to share about the schools I've heard from, noting that timing has been a question in many previous messages.

Penn: Applied 12/5, Interviewed 1/7, Accepted via phone call and informal email same day 1/7, Official acceptance letter available in portal with scholarship offer 1/14.

Columbia: Applied 11/19 with my final recommendation submitted 11/27, Accepted via online portal (with an email letting me know decision was ready) 1/13, Scholarship offer & financial aid info received 1/19.

Michigan: Applied 11/15 with final recommendation submitted some time before the early deadline in Dec, Accepted via phone call and informal email on 1/12, Official acceptance letter available in portal 2/5 without scholarship or financial aid information.

Denver: Applied 12/23, Accepted via email 1/14, Official letter + Scholarship offer received via portal 1/15.

I'm waiting to hear from UC Berkeley and the University of Washington, and wondering if anyone has heard from them yet, or knows anything about their timeline? From what I've read it sounds like I can't expect to hear from UW until March, and Berkeley should let us know before March 1st (soon!)? Do folks know if they typically give out financial/scholarship info in their initial offers? Additionally, does anyone know when Michigan typically sends out scholarship/FA offers? I'm worried because Columbia has only given me an extension until March 15th to accept or reject their offer, and I'm not sure if they will give me another extension... Thank you all! :)

I can’t help with your question but would like to congratulate you on getting in to the schools you have. That’s amazing !!!!

15 hours ago, brie_od said:

Hi @lil_lil I received an acceptance email from USC on 1/29 and was also very surprised at how quickly they wanted a decision! ? I was going back and forth wondering if I should ask for an extension (I didn't get much financial aid, and I'm still waiting to hear from two other programs), since they wanted my deposit by 2/12. However, my USC admissions counselor sent me an email on 2/8 checking in and asking if I needed more time. I replied yes, that a week would be great, and he ended up extending my deposit deadline all the way until March 5th, which I really appreciated! I'm hoping to have heard back from the other programs by then, but regardless, it seems like USC is willing to work with us on that deadline. I hope your hear back soon and that you'll have all the time you need to make a decision. Congrats on your acceptance ☺️

Thank you - congrats to you too! I was able to get an extension until March 19, which will hopefully be plenty of time. Still waiting on Hunter, Smith, UMich, and Columbia. Fingers crossed! 

1 hour ago, Gradguy11218 said:

Have you heard anything from Hunter about an interview?

Nothing yet. I applied late Jan, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a bit. I had the same incomplete transcript issue as some others in the Silberman thread - I emailed about it with no response, but hope that isn't causing any delay. Really hoping for an acceptance though, would love that sweet in-state tuition! 

12 minutes ago, lil_lil said:

Nothing yet. I applied late Jan, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a bit. I had the same incomplete transcript issue as some others in the Silberman thread - I emailed about it with no response, but hope that isn't causing any delay. Really hoping for an acceptance though, would love that sweet in-state tuition! 

Same with in state tuition, I had an interview yesterday. It was 8 other the 9 applicant accepted an offer at another school. Tomorrow was also an interview date when I scheduled mine. Hopefully you get an interview soon. People have been accepted w/o an interview. I finished my application in dec.