MSW.K

On 2/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, Sarah77 said:

Congrats on the scholarship! Can you share which portal that was? I got my scholarship offer via an official letter in my email, but I can't see any updates in the application portal Applyweb.com for financial aid. Do you mind sharing how much work study you got? I'm curious about how much Michigan usually offers for that. 

Thanks! I had received an email saying I had a financial aid update and checked the Wolverine Access portal. There it had  the highest amount for direct unsubsidized federal loans, and then 3k in work study (so 1.5k per term). The official letter with the scholarship didn't list the federal loans or work study!

Okay I need some help. I emailed BC about an extension on my decision because I'm still waiting for Columbia and Hunter. They asked me when I think I should be able to give them a decision, but I have no idea when to tell them. Can anyone who is more knowledgeable about when to expect acceptances help me?

41 minutes ago, tia. said:

Okay I need some help. I emailed BC about an extension on my decision because I'm still waiting for Columbia and Hunter. They asked me when I think I should be able to give them a decision, but I have no idea when to tell them. Can anyone who is more knowledgeable about when to expect acceptances help me?

I would email admissions at Columbia and Hunter. If you ask, they can usually give you at least a time frame. For example, I asked BU when I could expect to hear a final decision from them (I am on the waitlist) and they said by the end of April. I sent that back to BC and they gave me an extension date of April 5th, but also said that I could ask for another one if I hadn't heard back by then. It is kind of annoying, but you need to just ask for what you need and they are usually understanding. Good luck!

59 minutes ago, tia. said:

Just ask for a far out day like April first and maybe they will counter and it the mean you can reach out to those schools. I’m still waiting on Hunter maybe this week for both schools

Hi there! For those of you who have heard back from Columbia, did they include scholarship information in the letter? Or did that come later? I’m supposed to tell BC yes or no by March 1 and want to make sure I have everything I need from Columbia by then to decide (if I hopefully get in!) 

9 minutes ago, Mswsam said:

Hi there! For those of you who have heard back from Columbia, did they include scholarship information in the letter? Or did that come later? I’m supposed to tell BC yes or no by March 1 and want to make sure I have everything I need from Columbia by then to decide (if I hopefully get in!) 

I got my acceptance last Monday and still have not received scholarship information.

2 minutes ago, bkcase said:

Has anyone who got into NYU successfully appealed for a larger scholarship?

It seems like it should be an option, and NYU makes it fairly easy for undergrads to appeal for more money, but I'm having a tough time finding out how to do it for grad programs / Silver.

Would love advice on this as well, struggling with the same thing. 

16 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Has anyone applied to San Francisco state? i have not heard anything back and applied last october.

Hi! I actually just email them about 20 minutes ago and they just responded to me. They said they will be sending out decisions starting early in March, and then throughout the month. He also let me know that they received 358 applications and have room for 40. Looks like a pretty low acceptance rate this year but fingers crossed! It's my top choice

Hi folks, I was really pleasantly surprised by my scholarship offer from Michigan and am now in a position to have to consider it because of the financial benefit, where I wasn't thinking too much about it before. I'd love to connect with someone else who is interested in Michigan's program & hear about what strengths stand out to you, whether that's here in the forum or via DM! :) 

Hi folks, I was really pleasantly surprised by my scholarship offer from Michigan and am now in a position to have to consider it because of the financial benefit, where I wasn't thinking too much about it before. I'd love to connect with someone else who is interested in Michigan's program & hear about what strengths stand out to you, whether that's here in the forum or via DM! :) 

22 minutes ago, sjk155 said:

Hi everyone!

Is there anyone that could give me advice on how exactly to appeal for more scholarship money?

Ha I asked the same q today - why don't they make this kind of thing more clear?! I even spoke to a financial aid person on the phone and they were so vague about it that it really wasn't helpful at all.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Hi Fiofarrell17, 

if you dont mind me asking why is san francisco your top choice? I am applying as an international student from United Kingdom and just trying to get a good understanding of the pros and cons

how exciting!! SFSU is my top choice for a couple reasons. I absolutely love the city of San Francisco and the campus as well. I also am looking to go into child welfare after I graduate and their program offers some good classes for that. Furthermore, the bay area has tons of opportunities for field work and job opportunities, so I feel like it's a great place to become involved with the community and have a great choice of potential social work experiences while in school, and after it as well. Their website doesn't have too much information unfortunately, and I'm not sure how research focused they are, but I'm looking to go into the clinical route so I feel as if it's a good match for me! 

Hi everyone- I posted in the Silberman thread but wanted to share here in case someone isn't following that and this would be helpful. I just received my acceptance to Hunter today -- my application was complete at the end of December and i did not interview. I didn't receive an email that there was an update to my portal, I actually only noticed because I reached out to the admissions team to ask for a timeline and they notified me that there's a decision on my portal! Weird timing since I've been checking obsessively until now and just didn't check today before reaching out to them. 

They are requiring a decision from me within 3 weeks, which feels super fast considering that the acceptance didn't include any financial aid info. Regardless, I will most likely accept since it was one of my top choices and even with full tuition it's cheaper than the other schools I applied to (unless Columbia accepts me and offers some crazy scholarship). 

This has been a stressful waiting period so I'm sending support to everyone -- hope everyone here hears good news soon! 

9 minutes ago, kaleighq said:

Yes I applied in January and heard back Feb 4 that I was accepted.

I saw on their website they send admissions through the mail, is that true or were you informed via email? 

15 minutes ago, mswhopeful21 said:

Hi everyone- I posted in the Silberman thread but wanted to share here in case someone isn't following that and this would be helpful. I just received my acceptance to Hunter today -- my application was complete at the end of December and i did not interview. I didn't receive an email that there was an update to my portal, I actually only noticed because I reached out to the admissions team to ask for a timeline and they notified me that there's a decision on my portal! Weird timing since I've been checking obsessively until now and just didn't check today before reaching out to them. 

They are requiring a decision from me within 3 weeks, which feels super fast considering that the acceptance didn't include any financial aid info. Regardless, I will most likely accept since it was one of my top choices and even with full tuition it's cheaper than the other schools I applied to (unless Columbia accepts me and offers some crazy scholarship). 

This has been a stressful waiting period so I'm sending support to everyone -- hope everyone here hears good news soon! 

Congrats!!!!! And I totally understand how you'd be leaning Hunter. When comparing 20K in loans vs 120K in loans, it's really, really hard to choose the latter even if facets of the other programs appeal ?

49 minutes ago, bkcase said:

Congrats!!!!! And I totally understand how you'd be leaning Hunter. When comparing 20K in loans vs 120K in loans, it's really, really hard to choose the latter even if facets of the other programs appeal ?

Thank you! And yes exactly-- I wish price weren't such a big factor but here we are!