MSW.K

1 hour ago, crossingallmyfingers said:

Currently deciding between Hunter and Smith....feeling very torn!! Would love any info you might have to sway me or to hear what you're thinking.

I don’t know smith so I can’t comment. But Hunter has a great program. I know 2 handful of people who went and only have good things to say. If you are not from NY our city is different because of Covid. Things aren’t open like they use to be, and ppl I know moved other places and are working remotely. They say rent went down because of COVID I can’t confirm that. Hunter is also very affordable. I’m also waiting to hear from them. 

7 hours ago, christina k said:

Hi everyone! has anyone heard anything from UW or UC Berkeley? I have been trying to contact Cal admissions for over two weeks with no luck, not sure if this is a bad sign or not. 

I haven't heard back anything from UC Berkeley either :( 

4 hours ago, cp98 said:

I emailed them yesterday about when I would hear back and they told me I should hear back in two - three weeks. I applied on the priority deadline 12/1. 

Oh wow ? makes me doubt they’re going to respond by 3/1 now. Thanks for letting me know! 

5 hours ago, SWStudent2 said:

Hi! I am still learning how to use this platform so I hope people can see this but I heard from UW last Friday! Hopefully more decisions are coming out soon! 

I was accepted to the advanced standing program and applied for the January deadline if that helps anyone. 

Congrats, that’s awesome! 

1 hour ago, anothermsw said:

Hey y’all! Did anyone have their Penn interview in the past couple weeks? I had mine almost two weeks ago and I have yet to hear back. Just wanted to see if anyone else is in a similar boat! 

Good luck team!

I wonder what the typical time frame is.  My interview is in 2 weeks.  Good luck!  Try to relax even though I know it must be tough!!!

46 minutes ago, OrangeJuice14 said:

hey there.

Has anyone had success appealing for more scholarship money? if so, I'd love any advice on how to go about doing that. thank you!

Yes, I had success with appealing to Columbia! I sent their financial aid office a pretty extensive email detailing my financial situation, how much I would be able to contribute in exact numbers, and how much I would need from them to be able to commit. They then had me fill out a form online (as did Penn, though I haven’t heard back from Penn yet). Ultimately my sense is that what made the biggest difference was my competing offer from Michigan, because the number that Columbia ultimately offered was exactly the same as Michigan; they matched it. The offer went up from $36K (for two years) to $50K after the appeal. 

Feel free to DM if you have any follow up questions! 

Edited by Sarah77

5 minutes ago, Sarah77 said:

Yes, I had success with appealing to Columbia! I sent their financial aid office a pretty extensive email detailing my financial situation, how much I would be able to contribute in exact numbers, and how much I would need from them to be able to commit. They then had me fill out a form online (as did Penn, though I haven’t heard back from Penn yet). Ultimately my sense is that what made the biggest difference was my competing offer from Michigan, because the number that Columbia ultimately offered was exactly the same as Michigan; they matched it. The offer went up from $36K (for two years) to $50K after the appeal. 

Feel free to DM if you have any follow up questions! 

THANK YOU! This was so helpful, I've been lost where to even start. Congrats on Columbia and with the appeal, that is amazing!!!

4 hours ago, anothermsw said:

Hey y’all! Did anyone have their Penn interview in the past couple weeks? I had mine almost two weeks ago and I have yet to hear back. Just wanted to see if anyone else is in a similar boat! 

Good luck team!

Hi! I had my interview for UPenn on February 9 and I was offered admission on February 15. Wishing you the best of luck!!! 

On 2/24/2021 at 11:18 AM, anxiouslywaiting2021 said:

Hi! The advanced standing program is a full calendar year! I believe it starts in late summer/early fall and goes through the next summer. So if you started in Fall 2021 you would finish the program in the Summer of 2022

Thank you!! So my scholarship/loans give me money for the fall and spring semester, but doesn't address summer. Would you know why?

Hi everyone -- I was recently admitted to UChicago and Columbia and was wondering if anyone has spoken with students at each, specifically those who pursued the clinical track focused on working with youth. Am torn between the two programs! Any insight would be really appreciated!!

Edited by MSW818

6 minutes ago, MSW818 said:

Hi everyone -- I was recently admitted to UChicago and Columbia and was wondering if anyone has spoken with students at each, specifically those who pursued the clinical track focused on working with youth. Am torn between the two programs! Any insight would be really appreciated!!

Hi, congrats! Can you let us know when you applied for each? 

1 minute ago, MSW818 said:

Thank you and yes! I applied for UChicago on 11/30 and Columbia on 12/1. 

Oh, that's great!! I can't answer your question about their clinical tracks, but both are really great schools. Congrats again :) Did you apply for advanced standing or the general two year programs?

45 minutes ago, MSW818 said:

Everyone who I know who has gone to Uchicago concentrated in social administration but the people I know who have gone to Columbia who have done clinical have loved it. Things I have heard have included attentive and supportive professors, creative experimental learning, and a great cohort. Also I have heard super positive experiences with field placements. I can't speak to SSA's clinical track but I know that some of the people I've spoken have said it's a tossup with field placement experience.