MSW.K

Hi everyone! I saw this information posted in another thread and thought maybe it could be beneficial to people who check this one. UCLA's Luskin department tweeted on 2/10 that they would start sending out admission responses in 2 weeks, so around 2/24, and that they would continue sending out admission decisions through mid-march! My anxiety has been crazy lately so it's reassuring getting some definitive answers! :)

23 hours ago, christina k said:

Yeah I was just about to ask if you got the official letter yet lol. I’d wait until you see the scholarship before you completely rule it out! They were more generous than any other school I got into thus far. Penn is the most expensive school I applied for though. Really wish we’d have the full package sooner to help in the decision making process 

I'm also waiting for the official letter! Thank you for this! I'm hoping they'll attach a scholarship onto the official letter because it's so expensive ?

10 hours ago, Gradguy11218 said:

If you don’t hear back from your other schools you can ask for an extension on your decision date. 

Hi quick q! How do you recommend asking them for an extension? Literally just saying something along the lines of "I am waiting to hear back from other schools.. would I be allowed to have an extension?" type of deal?

7 minutes ago, sjk155 said:

Hi quick q! How do you recommend asking them for an extension? Literally just saying something along the lines of "I am waiting to hear back from other schools.. would I be allowed to have an extension?" type of deal?

My wife works in grad admissions she said add covid into it. im undecided where im going to be attending schools because of the pandemic can i be granted an extension to see what would be best etc.  

17 hours ago, Grad333 said:

My interview for Penn is coming up in a few weeks. Can anyone who completed an interview offer advice? Thank you in advance!

Mine (and others from what I've heard) was very casual! They asked why Penn, why social work, what my social work interest are/what I would want to do for my field placement, and for three personal strengths and one weakness the school could help me strengthen. The best advice I could give is to be confident in your abilities and demonstrate your passion for Penn and social work. It felt less like a formal interview and more of an opportunity to talk about yourself and interests, so talk about why you're a good fit for Penn and why Penn is a good fit for you. I hope this is helpful; let me know if you have any other questions! Best of luck!

Has anyone who applied to columbia around 12/1 received an email about a coffee chat with the dean? I thought I would have heard back this week but it said in the beginning of the email "we are looking forward to reviewing your MSW application" :( I feel like this is a bad thing, should I email them to make sure they have all of my materials? Any advice?

7 minutes ago, gradschoolsocialwork said:

Has anyone who applied to columbia around 12/1 received an email about a coffee chat with the dean? I thought I would have heard back this week but it said in the beginning of the email "we are looking forward to reviewing your MSW application" :( I feel like this is a bad thing, should I email them to make sure they have all of my materials? Any advice?

I got the same thing too, I think you're good! Not too many people seem to have heard back yet so we're all in the same boat I think

16 minutes ago, gradschoolsocialwork said:

I just applied a couple days before the deadline and I got that same email. Last years thread said they didn’t get their acceptance emails until mid-late April even the ones who applied early.

1 hour ago, sjk155 said:

That's what I did! I got an additional month to make my decision for a school. We'll see if it's enough time. Adding covid to it may help if applicable.

35 minutes ago, tia. said:

I got the same thing too, I think you're good! Not too many people seem to have heard back yet so we're all in the same boat I think

Okay, I was just wondering because I saw that a few people who applied had already heard back. That makes me feel much better, thanks for responding! Do you think you're going to go to it? 

27 minutes ago, Minhessica said:

I just applied a couple days before the deadline and I got that same email. Last years thread said they didn’t get their acceptance emails until mid-late April even the ones who applied early.

Thank you for responding! I remember reading that same thread and that last year was kinda crazy, I was just hoping to hear back soon because I know a few people have already received a decision. Do you think you're going to go to the coffee chat?

On 2/16/2021 at 6:34 PM, gradschoolsocialwork said:

did anyone who applied to columbia MSW advanced standing have to postpone their field supervision paperwork? I had to postpone mine since I am doing field in the summer & am wondering if that is why there is a delay in my decision. I applied on 12/1 and haven't heard anything back :( 

I couldn’t apply till my mid- semester evaluation was complete, which wasn’t until mid/late December so i missed the December 1st priority deadline. your application isn’t complete until all letters and the field evaluation is in. 

A friend of mine told me as an advanced standing student, not to worry. as long as you’ve done well we should be okay. 

3 hours ago, gradschoolsocialwork said:

Thank you for responding! I remember reading that same thread and that last year was kinda crazy, I was just hoping to hear back soon because I know a few people have already received a decision. Do you think you're going to go to the coffee chat?

Yes I signed up for it! 

Question for anyone applying/ waiting for Columbia. Does the news today of the black, queer non-binary school of social work professor being fired for speaking out against a racist- transphobic student change your mind about the school? 

I’m from NYC & have had friends, work colleagues and even school personnel while getting my BSSW warn me of the school’s very privileged, condescending environment. I’m struggling with finding anything about the program ~good enough to support an institution that perpetuates the systemic inequities and stigmas we are hoping to change. 

“it’s Columbia...” just doesn’t feel like a good enough reason anymore 

would just love to know anyone else’s opinions on this. 

Edited by LML2021

24 minutes ago, LML2021 said:

I couldn’t apply till my mid- semester evaluation was complete, which wasn’t until mid/late December so i missed the December 1st priority deadline. your application isn’t complete until all letters and the field evaluation is in. 

A friend of mine told me as an advanced standing student, not to worry. as long as you’ve done well we should be okay. 

that is reassuring to hear! i won't be able to submit my mid-semester eval until the summer, but I let them know so hopefully there are no issues going forward. it just makes me nervous & i'm so ready to hear back!

good luck to you!

15 minutes ago, LML2021 said:

Question for anyone applying/ waiting for Columbia. Does the news today of the black, queer non-binary school of social work professor being fired for speaking out against a racist- transphobic student change your mind about the school? 

I’m from NYC & have had friends, work colleagues and even school personnel while getting my BSSW warn me of the school’s very privileged, condescending environment. I’m struggling with finding anything about the program ~good enough to support an institution that perpetuates the systemic inequities and stigmas we are hoping to change. 

“it’s Columbia...” just doesn’t feel like a good enough reason anymore 

would just love to know anyone else’s opinions on this. 

where can i find more info on this? i had not heard about this until now!