MSW.K

17 hours ago, njenni said:

I got a call earlier today from UCLA offering me admission for their MSW program! They informed me that I was nominated for the GOFP (graduate fellowship) so I'm not sure if they're calling about the fellowship first, but I thought I would share the news here since some people had been asking about UCLA

That is AMAZING! Huge congrats. I hope I get in. If I do get in-- It will come down between UCLA and UPenn.

I only applied to CSSW for SW programs and I’m getting very discouraged with attending due to the fact on how they treat the biwoc especially black women. Also it’s really hard to see that the professor wasn’t even spoken to they just keep coming out with statements. I applied to a duel degree with SIPA so if I get in there I might just do that. 

Edited by Minhessica

14 hours ago, oddfully said:

Hi all! I'm a longtime lurker but I finally decided to post!

I'm from CT and applied to only CT schools - SCSU, SHU, and Quinnipiac University. 

I applied to one of my schools (Southern CT State University) in late December and am looking to hear back late this month/early March. I checked my portal today and the status changed to “complete” to “submitted - under review.” There also added a picture about submitting immunizations. When I clicked on the Next Steps tab in my portal, it said “Please click on the application tab to view your decision and to accept or decline your offer” but nothing was there. Is this a good sign? I’m not really sure what to think

With the schools i applied to it went from submitted to pending review....im still waiting for a response. from what i hear once it says decision made or something like that decision should be there. Maybe its the layout and eventually it will change. Also check for emails stating a decision has been made.

18 minutes ago, Minhessica said:

I only applied to CSSW for SW programs and I’m getting very discouraged with attending due to the fact on how they treat the biwoc especially black women. Also it’s really hard to see that the professor wasn’t even spoken to they just keep coming out with statements. I applied to a duel degree with SIPA so if I get in there I might just do that. 

Hi! I'm assuming you're talking about Ericka Hart and apologize if that isn't the case - I just wanted to clarify that from what I've seen in Ericka's self-descriptions online, Ericka is a non-binary femme. It's definitely important for us to stay in conversation about how CSSW treated them, but I hope we can also use the language they use for themself in our discussion! Thanks :)

3 minutes ago, Sarah77 said:

Hi! I'm assuming you're talking about Ericka Hart and apologize if that isn't the case - I just wanted to clarify that from what I've seen in Ericka's self-descriptions online, Ericka is a non-binary femme. It's definitely important for us to stay in conversation about how CSSW treated them, but I hope we can also use the language they use for themself in our discussion! Thanks :)

I apologize and thank you for correcting me!! 

Hello All,

I was just accepted to UPenn last night, which was very exciting, but it felt very out of the blue as I was never contacted for an interview and everything I’ve read says an interview is required for the program. Has anyone else been accepted sans interview? Or was this a mistake that I should reach out about? Thanks for the help!

On 2/16/2021 at 11:46 PM, sjk155 said:

For my Penn folks, any word of advice? My friend applied 1/25 (last day) and still hasn't heard back with information about an interview... not sure if I should urge her to email them or if they just received a huge influx of applications (since that was the deadline for early admission) and if she should just keep waiting

Hey! I just posted and started scrolling through and saw this. I applied a just before the deadline as well and was never contacted for an interview but received an acceptance last night and am very confused. Would love be to updated if something similar happened to your friend. 

Hi fellow MWS admits/hopefuls!

I was just accepted to BC and BU's programs, but am feeling very very confused about how to find my full award/cost of attendance. Neither school provided me with a separate award letter, but instead stated the scholarship amount I have received in the admission letter. I have no further information on what my actual cost of attendance would be --or don't know where to find said information. When I log into BC's financial aid portal there is no information there either... 

Is anyone having a similar experience? It has been a few years since I have been out of college so maybe this is just my own ignorance at the process showing.

Edited by Ja19Jiji

Concerning Erika Hart’s situation - it’s extremely disappointing to hear how Columbia SSW handled the whole situation. NYU Silver was also called out for another racist incident a while back too. As a bipoc, I was definitely turned off by how the institution handled all of these situations but at this point I’m realizing that no institution, even those with a clean track record, are immune to racism... up until recently CSSW had a clean track record. Many schools are trying to become more anti-racist but racism is systemic and it is deep... with majority being predominantly white institutions it’s hard to avoid these racist encounters no matter which school we choose to go to. So even though these events are steering me away, I’m trying to focus on which school I can benefit from the most and which school’s values and field opportunities align with what I want to do. But I’m also considering at diversity of staff and students too.

11 minutes ago, Ja19Jiji said:

Hi fellow MWS admits/hopefuls!

I was just accepted to BC and BU's programs, but am feeling very very confused about how to find my full award/cost of attendance. Neither school provided me with a separate award letter, but instead stated the scholarship amount I have received in the admission letter. I have no further information on what my actual cost of attendance would be --or don't know where to find said information. When I log into BC's financial aid portal there is no information there either... 

Is anyone having a similar experience? It has been a few years since I have been out of college so maybe this is just my own ignorance at the process showing.

I’m not sure about those schools specifically, but this has been the case for all of my offer letters as well and I’ve found the cost of attendance on the school’s website, usually by Googling “XYZ social work tuition and fees” and doing the math to figure out what that gap is. 

14 hours ago, MSW.K said:

That is AMAZING! Huge congrats. I hope I get in. If I do get in-- It will come down between UCLA and UPenn.

Thank you so much! BOTH are great schools so you can't go wrong :) Wishing you the best of luck and I hope you hear good news soon! 

Everyone who got into Boston University y’all are getting the brain of a football player who was found dead in his hotel last week. They are testing for CTE. I know as SW it’s not your field but it’s cool to know your school is doing this.... I know with the fame will bring funding * wink wink * (some positive news) 

On 2/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, christina k said:

Hi everyone! For those that have been accepted to UMich, have you received your financial aid package yet and if so how much? I got $10,000 for the full-time in community change and I’m not sure how great of a package this is, and if I could push for some more money since the price is soo steep. 

Just as an FYI for others waiting on aid packages from Michigan-- I got an email to say my financial aid award status had changed in the portal, which showed me just loans and work study. About five days later I got an email with an official letter letting me know I was getting 2.5k per term (so 10k overall), and an update about the Special Program I applied for. 

7 hours ago, lichen_ said:

Just as an FYI for others waiting on aid packages from Michigan-- I got an email to say my financial aid award status had changed in the portal, which showed me just loans and work study. About five days later I got an email with an official letter letting me know I was getting 2.5k per term (so 10k overall), and an update about the Special Program I applied for. 

Congrats on the scholarship! Can you share which portal that was? I got my scholarship offer via an official letter in my email, but I can't see any updates in the application portal Applyweb.com for financial aid. Do you mind sharing how much work study you got? I'm curious about how much Michigan usually offers for that. 

8 minutes ago, MSWchic said:

Is there anybody who applied to Columbia 12/1 still waiting on a decision? 

I did and I am. (I think I did? I had one recommendation come in on the 2nd so I'm not sure if that pushed me back but idk.... 

On 2/19/2021 at 4:26 PM, MSW Applicant 202 said:

Hey! I just posted and started scrolling through and saw this. I applied a just before the deadline as well and was never contacted for an interview but received an acceptance last night and am very confused. Would love be to updated if something similar happened to your friend. 

Hello! WOW congrats! That's a wonderful surprise?! Will keep you updated. She still hasn't heard anything back ;/ 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:42 AM, Sarib said:

Hi! Has anyone heard back from Stony Brook Advanced Standing?

i have not heard anything, neither have my two friends. We have all applied for the Advanced Standing Manhattan Extension site. 

Edited by LML2021