MSW.K

1 hour ago, cccrsn22 said:

Columbia is my first choice and I'm still waiting anxiously. For me, Columbia is exciting because it's in NYC, it's ranked #3 for the best MSW programs in the country, it's a bigger program with so much access to amazing field/research opportunities (800+ agencies), highest licensure passing rate in NY, 20,000 alumni, and I won't lie, the prestigious Ivy League title is of course attractive. Crossing my fingers. 

adding on to this Columbia thread... I have talked to two current MSW on campus students at Columbia and they really like it!! They said professors have been pretty helpful and engaging even during this pandemic. They have also highlighted that the CU alumni nework is great. 

On 3/29/2021 at 2:43 PM, msw.LS said:

Hello everybody! Congrats on your acceptances. I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia, and I applied early January. Are there certain days of the week that Columbia tends to send out their letters of admission? I know a lot of people have heard back on Fridays. It's been 8 weeks since I received my email of application completion, and I am starting to get a bit worried. Let me know if anybody has a bit more information of the matter!! Thanks so much☺️

Hi! I turned my application in December 2020 and I received a waitlist letter Feb 26th so you should've heard back from them! I'm crossing my fingers I get something tomorrow Friday! I would reach out to the department and ask for an update on your application! 

1 hour ago, cp98 said:

Hey guys! Just wanted to let everyone know that I was accepted to Columbia Tuesday evening. I applied before the priority deadline, so I am kind of peeved at waiting four months to hear back. I already committed to a different school, so unless they send me a great financial package, I'm going to decline their acceptance. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Congratulations! I was waitlisted a month ago! They said they would let us know what the final decision was early April! Hopefully I hear from them soon! were you also waitlisted? I also applied before the priority deadline. It's a waiting game now haha 

26 minutes ago, Rosa Simental said:

Congratulations! I was waitlisted a month ago! They said they would let us know what the final decision was early April! Hopefully I hear from them soon! were you also waitlisted? I also applied before the priority deadline. It's a waiting game now haha 

Your the first person I've heard of who got waitlisted. I haven't heard about anyone who applied after priority deadline getting any decision except for maybe one guy. Columbia seems to just keep saying two weeks. Its starting to remind me of that movie "The Money Pit". Anyway hopefully we all hear soon. It'd be nice to progress on the the stage of making arrangements to attend school instead of wondering where I'll end up. 

6 hours ago, Shan Shan Song said:

I found out March 29th that I've been waitlisted from my dream school, UIC. They won't let me know until mid August if I am admitted and classes start August 22nd. The tentative deadlines for me to accept from my 2 other schools are in mid April and the beginning of May so I haven't figured out yet if I can wait for UIC or not. 

I was also waitlisted by UIC. Hearing "maybe" is super frustrating/disappointing, especially from your dream school! From their info session last fall, I recall them saying that the waitlist is much more of a rolling basis until they fill the class (up until right before they start the fall term), so if you come off the waitlist you could very potentially hear sooner than mid-August! How I read the email is that if we choose to remain on the waitlist, we would be told a definite yes or no by mid-August.

23 minutes ago, FearedEffect said:

Your the first person I've heard of who got waitlisted. I haven't heard about anyone who applied after priority deadline getting any decision except for maybe one guy. Columbia seems to just keep saying two weeks. Its starting to remind me of that movie "The Money Pit". Anyway hopefully we all hear soon. It'd be nice to progress on the the stage of making arrangements to attend school instead of wondering where I'll end up. 

Yea! Its because I am finishing my Undergrad and I graduate in June so, I'm pretty sure they couldn't give me a full on decision just yet. That's what I think, I may be very wrong. I'm also waiting for San Jose States response on my application for their Social Work program, I'm not as worried, soon we'll get a response! 

Just now, msw.LS said:

Did anybody hear back from Columbia today? I am worried they’re now just waiting to send out the rejections 

Still waiting. I wouldn't give up hope. It seems from previous threads they've always processed the applications slowly with many people having to wait into April or even May. I don't think your any less likely to be accepted now than the day you applied. If I see ten people on here post that they applied after I did and got accepted I'll start to worry if a week or two goes by and I don't hear news. 

Just now, FearedEffect said:

Still waiting. I wouldn't give up hope. It seems from previous threads they've always processed the applications slowly with many people having to wait into April or even May. I don't think your any less likely to be accepted now than the day you applied. If I see ten people on here post that they applied after I did and got accepted I'll start to worry if a week or two goes by and I don't hear news. 

Yes, you’re right. Going to keep my hopes up. I applied Jan 9th. When did you apply? 

5 hours ago, Rosa Simental said:

Hi! 

I applied to Columbia's MSW Program and a month ago I was waitlisted! Anyone else still waiting for a response? 

They said, early April they'll have a final decision, I really wan to attend that MSW Program, I'm just crossing my fingers at this point haha 

When did you apply in January or February? 

6 hours ago, Rosa Simental said:

Hi! 

I applied to Columbia's MSW Program and a month ago I was waitlisted! Anyone else still waiting for a response? 

They said, early April they'll have a final decision, I really wan to attend that MSW Program, I'm just crossing my fingers at this point haha 

Yup! Still waiting too lol I had emailed them a week ago and they said by mid-April

13 hours ago, cottoncandycarmen said:

Interesting for UW. What documents did they need, if you don't mind sharing? Most folks have only gotten info from FinAid saying that the intent was to distribute it by the end of March. 

actually, one... wasn't really any documents it was a verification form about my grade level and the last one was my estimate expense form 

19 hours ago, msw.LS said:

Yes, you’re right. Going to keep my hopes up. I applied Jan 9th. When did you apply? 

On the 7th of January I submitted and got a confirmation on the 20th that my app was complete. So I'm in the exact same boat as you more or less. I also applied for advanced standing which I'm sure only makes it take longer since they must have to review my courses more closely.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:00 PM, monavocado said:

Thanks for your kind words! I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I applied for the Rockville campus. Maybe they're reviewing Baltimore applicants separately? Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for your crossed fingers-- I received good news last night!  I got into the UMD MSW/MPH dual program, very happy. Thanks for your words-- they helped more than you know! 

32 minutes ago, mdsw said:

Thanks for your crossed fingers-- I received good news last night!  I got into the UMD MSW/MPH dual program, very happy. Thanks for your words-- they helped more than you know! 

Congratulations!!!!!

On 4/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, Rosa Simental said:

I received my acceptance on Tuesday! I am just waiting to hear about my financial aid package before I decline

17 hours ago, HeyMSW said:

actually, one... wasn't really any documents it was a verification form about my grade level and the last one was my estimate expense form 

Thanks for responding! That makes sense. Are you international?

re: finaid in general, in the info session we were told that hopefully decisions would be made by.... next week. so. another week. to wait. 

28 minutes ago, Rosa Simental said:

Lol well that’s great I guess haha 

Hi sorry I read your message wrong! I was not on the waitlist I had not received anything prior! 

4 hours ago, cottoncandycarmen said:

Thanks for responding! That makes sense. Are you international?

re: finaid in general, in the info session we were told that hopefully decisions would be made by.... next week. so. another week. to wait. 

No I’m not international. 
good to know. One more week, one more week 

4 hours ago, msw.LS said:

I didn’t hear anything from Columbia today ? I really dislike this uncertainty, especially because I would still have to find a place in NYC before school starts. Did anybody hear back today? 

I applied on February 15 deadline to Columbia. I still haven't heard from them yet.  After they sent me the email stating all materials were submitted, I was informed to hear back from them within 8 weeks. So hopefully next week or before April 15. 

On 4/1/2021 at 6:13 PM, lichen_ said:

I was also waitlisted by UIC. Hearing "maybe" is super frustrating/disappointing, especially from your dream school! From their info session last fall, I recall them saying that the waitlist is much more of a rolling basis until they fill the class (up until right before they start the fall term), so if you come off the waitlist you could very potentially hear sooner than mid-August! How I read the email is that if we choose to remain on the waitlist, we would be told a definite yes or no by mid-August.

Another waitlist for UIC here! I emailed Jane Addams to see how soon I'd hear back from the waitlist since I am also an applicant for the MPH/MSW program (I was already admitted in the MPH program in Policy and Administration) and they said that they prioritize the MPH/MSW applicants. I'm hoping that is a good sign I'll hear soon but I will follow up with the Assistant Dean of Admissions in the coming week.