MSW.K

Hey folks. I’ve been admitted to a handful of programs and am now having some anxiety about choosing.

I’ve been accepted to UCLA, UW, and UT Austin. Originally I thought I would definitely go to UT if I got in, because it is so much more affordable, and it’s in my home town of Austin, so I’d be close to my family. It’s also considered a pretty good program.

In talking with a couple current and recent students from all of the above programs, I am getting the impression that UCLA and UW are going to be the more intellectually challenging programs of the three. I was very privileged to have an excellent undergrad education, and I think my expectations for grad school are pretty high as a result. An undergrad friend of mine who is currently in UT’s MSW program said that undergrad was by far more challenging than her graduate school experience has been, while that has not been the same for my friend at UW. It sounds like UW perhaps is also doing a better job of addressing issues of diversity and identity? 

I realize that these are just a handful of experiences out of many, and I am trying to not let them influence my choice too much. Much of one’s experience will be influenced by individual classes, professors, etc. But from other research I’ve done, it seems like UCLA and UW would be more rigorous. I think I probably just need to accept my offer at UT, as it is between $20,000 and $30,000 a year cheaper (!!!!!), but I am feeling a little deflated, confronting the idea I may not feel as challenged. 

I’m sure I will get a lot out of any program I attend. I do not mean to be an elitist here, and I know UT is a fantastic school. I’m just in my feels / anxiety a bit about it? Does anyone else relate, or have relevant perspective / advice to share?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ZippyZup123 said:

Hey I just wanted to throw this question out there but I am curious about how other people are going to go about it.

Do any of you plan on working while you are in grad school? Getting scholarships are not as accessible for grad students and tuition is a lot of money even for in state tuition.

I know some some loans are available but I am interested in not taking out the students loans that fafsa awarded because the loans start accruing interest immediately and they can't be absolved in a bankruptcy.

Another question is have any of you been successful in negotiating with your employer to give a stipend for grad school in addition to salary? 

I am interested in how other people are plan on dealing with tuition, work and school for the upcoming year. 

I work in the field and my employer does tuition reimbursement if the degree is related to your current position. 

On 4/21/2021 at 4:29 PM, MSW_2021 said:

Hey! I was wondering if you knew anything about UCLA's field placement process? I attended one of their info sessions earlier on and also did some research. On their website, it says having a car is necessary for travel, do you know if that's mandatory? It seems like there's a interview process for 2nd year placements, do you know if we're guaranteed placements? I've been wanting to talk to a UCLA MSW student or alum but they don't seem to have anything on the website that connects you to one.

Sorry, I just saw this message. I just filled out my survey for year one field placement, and they request in-depth answers to several personal statement questions regarding experiences we have had that will prepare us for field placement. Yes, a car is necessary! Another question they ask where we might be living to try and place us nearby for our field placement, but I am under the impression the likelihood is at least a 45-minute commute to our field placement. Yes, we do have to interview for our year two placement. Our second-year placement is for our specialization, allowing us an opportunity to get hands-on tying into our second-year coursework focusing on our specialty. I believe our first-year placement is trying to make us uncomfortable in a setting we are unfamiliar with, forcing us to become more versatile. 

Also, they begin placing us immediately. It is on a first-come, first-serve basis. I submitted my survey yesterday, hoping I can get a solid placement! 

14 minutes ago, Msw246 said:

Sorry, I just saw this message. I just filled out my survey for year one field placement, and they request in-depth answers to several personal statement questions regarding experiences we have had that will prepare us for field placement. Yes, a car is necessary! Another question they ask where we might be living to try and place us nearby for our field placement, but I am under the impression the likelihood is at least a 45-minute commute to our field placement. Yes, we do have to interview for our year two placement. Our second-year placement is for our specialization, allowing us an opportunity to get hands-on tying into our second-year coursework focusing on our specialty. I believe our first-year placement is trying to make us uncomfortable in a setting we are unfamiliar with, forcing us to become more versatile. 

Also, they begin placing us immediately. It is on a first-come, first-serve basis. I submitted my survey yesterday, hoping I can get a solid placement! 

I have not gotten that survey yet because I just got off the waitlist and I haven't sent in my SIR yet. How long did it take for them to send you the field placement survey? 

3 hours ago, msw.LS said:

I got waitlisted to Columbia... I feel like I've already waited long enough

Thanks for the update. I also applied in early January. I haven't heard anything yet, but since I saw some January people get rejected a couple weeks ago and now they put you on the waitlist I'm staring to feel like all signs are pointing to a future for me that's not going to be at Columbia.

Just now, FearedEffect said:

Thanks for the update. I also applied in early January. I haven't heard anything yet, but since I saw some January people get rejected a couple weeks ago and now they put you on the waitlist I'm staring to feel like all signs are pointing to a future for me that's not going to be at Columbia.

Don’t lose hope! Wishing you good luck :) 

13 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

I have not gotten that survey yet because I just got off the waitlist and I haven't sent in my SIR yet. How long did it take for them to send you the field placement survey? 

It took just under two weeks to receive the survey. I would imagine you have to accept their offer for admission, and then you would receive the survey and emails with more information. 

1 hour ago, claypot14 said:

Hey folks. I’ve been admitted to a handful of programs and am now having some anxiety about choosing.

I’ve been accepted to UCLA, UW, and UT Austin. Originally I thought I would definitely go to UT if I got in, because it is so much more affordable, and it’s in my home town of Austin, so I’d be close to my family. It’s also considered a pretty good program.

In talking with a couple current and recent students from all of the above programs, I am getting the impression that UCLA and UW are going to be the more intellectually challenging programs of the three. I was very privileged to have an excellent undergrad education, and I think my expectations for grad school are pretty high as a result. An undergrad friend of mine who is currently in UT’s MSW program said that undergrad was by far more challenging than her graduate school experience has been, while that has not been the same for my friend at UW. It sounds like UW perhaps is also doing a better job of addressing issues of diversity and identity? 

I realize that these are just a handful of experiences out of many, and I am trying to not let them influence my choice too much. Much of one’s experience will be influenced by individual classes, professors, etc. But from other research I’ve done, it seems like UCLA and UW would be more rigorous. I think I probably just need to accept my offer at UT, as it is between $20,000 and $30,000 a year cheaper (!!!!!), but I am feeling a little deflated, confronting the idea I may not feel as challenged. 

I’m sure I will get a lot out of any program I attend. I do not mean to be an elitist here, and I know UT is a fantastic school. I’m just in my feels / anxiety a bit about it? Does anyone else relate, or have relevant perspective / advice to share?

Thanks!

I just wanted to say that this has also been a major concern for me too. You're definitely not alone! 

Can you take courses outside the social work school at UT? That's something that's been really important to me in choosing a school; I know I want the ability to take relevant academic coursework in other departments/schools in case the core coursework (especially first year content) isn't challenging. For example, there's a professor of medical anthropology that focuses on the medicalization of mental health diagnosis and teaches some interesting classes at the school in hoping to attend - 100% signing up for that as it won't be seen totally off-topic/irrelevant. I also know the program I chose has off-campus study opportunities which is appealing to me. 

There's also the fact that you're joining an academic community! Wherever you go you'll have access to incredible libraries, alumni, professors, talks and events - you can and will find ways to challenge yourself. 

I hope this helps at least a little bit somehow (sorry I don't have much else to add!), it's honestly relieving to see I'm not the only one concerned about this! I also feel elitist and entitled, but am trying to remember that this is a program we're paying for and we have every right demand and hope for a level of intellectual stimulation that feels right to us. And that we will, ultimately, benefit as both social workers and critical thinkers by challenging ourselves academically. 

9 hours ago, chicagovsnycmsw said:

Hi All! 

I've been a long time lurker and thought I'd finally jump on these discussions! Just like a handful of others, I was waiting for my Columbia decision for what felt like the longest and finally received it on Monday April 19th, I applied Feb 1st. Also, I just received my financial aid package and wondering if anyone successfully appealed theirs? Would anyone mind sharing the link to the appeal form? I've seen a budget appeal form but not sure if this is it. 

Thank you and best of luck to those waiting! 

Hi! 

First off, congrats on your admission!

I appealed the amount of aid I received and was given $1,000 more per year in my scholarship and $3,000 in work study funding. Not a lot, but enough to make the cost comparable to other programs where I was admitted. 

Here is the link I was given to appeal: https://apply.ssw.columbia.edu/register/aid_appeal_21_22

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions! :)

Edited by sonalikm

11 hours ago, ZippyZup123 said:

Hey I just wanted to throw this question out there but I am curious about how other people are going to go about it.

Do any of you plan on working while you are in grad school? Getting scholarships are not as accessible for grad students and tuition is a lot of money even for in state tuition.

I know some some loans are available but I am interested in not taking out the students loans that fafsa awarded because the loans start accruing interest immediately and they can't be absolved in a bankruptcy.

Another question is have any of you been successful in negotiating with your employer to give a stipend for grad school in addition to salary? 

I am interested in how other people are plan on dealing with tuition, work and school for the upcoming year. 

I'm 100% considering working, which is really difficult. If I accept the local school, my current employer is open to letting me negotiate part time work or maxiflex hours. Its weighing on me hard because the close to home option isn't necessarily where I want to go. But in terms of being financially responsible, it might make the most sense. And a stipend won't work for me because I'm changing fields entirely. =\. 

I have a masters degree in my current field, and I've been looking specifically for adjunct professor slots near or at the schools I've been applying. Or maybe some type of independent consultant work. Who knows. 

I think the moral of the story is that I'm going to have to be really creative. I'm waiting until I have my placement, so I have an idea of how much time I'll have at my disposal, and where I'll physically be. Then I'll work out the rest. 

Good luck with your process! It's HARD, but years from now, you'll thank yourself for being proactive. 

10 hours ago, claypot14 said:

Thanks!

Just my two cents:

I was in this situation with my previous graduate degree-- I went with the more expensive and rigorous option. HOWEVER, I financially regretted the decision later. I wish I'd thought more at the time about which specific experiences I thought I'd be missing by going to the cheaper option, and asked the school if there was a way to replicate those experiences at their institution through study abroad, mentorship, cross enrollment, research, or internship opportunities.

Diversity and Inclusion issues are a different thing altogether. The "more rigorous" option that I chose also had diversity and inclusion issues that made my time there much more emotionally taxing. 

Now, my perspective has changed a bit. Go with the school that holistically makes the most sense. None of the schools you've stated have bad academic reputations, even though there's definitely a couple different tiers. Choose the school that doesn't give you undue financial hardship (if you're not willing to take that on), and the one that has the best academic concentration for you. If you end up at the "less rigorous" option, that just means you have less excuse not to be the standout student in your class. And there are definite benefits to that as well!! 

28 minutes ago, William Prince said:

It is very much so discouraging. I guess they do look at every applications and debate about it! 

Yes, I hope that's the reason for the delay. In the meantime, NYU got my deposit today while we wait

This is a bit of a tangent, but have any of you ever had issues with a school during the application process that made you want to attend just a little bit less?

I'm currently dealing with an institution that sent me an "incomplete application" email when my application has been completed for weeks (and it shows that in my application dashboard). The fact that they sent the email at the end of the day on a Friday drives me up a wall, because I won't get a response until Monday (and they're always slow to respond to email). What about schools that mess up your financial aid, lose transcripts, send terse emails, or delay your decision? 

I know all of these things are small in the grand scheme of things, and won't actually change my decision to attend if it's truly the right school for me. Not to mention, they're people, and people make mistakes. But when I get hints that a program is disorganized, it's just so disheartening! 

On 4/22/2021 at 8:49 PM, claypot14 said:

Thanks!

Hey! I totally get you on this. I also come from a rather prestigious undergrad.

I actually was denied from my first choice and perceived most academically rigorous school in 2020 and ended up enrolling in my third choice. I dropped out in three weeks because the program was not at all intellectually stimulating (the first assignment felt like something for fourth graders, no exaggeration), and it was disorganized/unprofessional. I reapplied this year and in the fall will be attending what was always my first choice to begin with. Both of mine were in state so the cost was about the same. 

So basically my advice is to figure out how big of a factor the intellectual stimulation is to you. If it’s the most important, I’d lean more into those options. If finances weigh out, then UT is a great option and it’s a top ten school for sw anyway so your resume will shine regardless. 

7 hours ago, fafsaavoidant said:

This is a bit of a tangent, but have any of you ever had issues with a school during the application process that made you want to attend just a little bit less?

I'm currently dealing with an institution that sent me an "incomplete application" email when my application has been completed for weeks (and it shows that in my application dashboard). The fact that they sent the email at the end of the day on a Friday drives me up a wall, because I won't get a response until Monday (and they're always slow to respond to email). What about schools that mess up your financial aid, lose transcripts, send terse emails, or delay your decision? 

I know all of these things are small in the grand scheme of things, and won't actually change my decision to attend if it's truly the right school for me. Not to mention, they're people, and people make mistakes. But when I get hints that a program is disorganized, it's just so disheartening! 

Yes!! Happened to me (more than once) with UT Arlington

22 hours ago, fafsaavoidant said:

Yes. ?

In my case, the initial outreach and application is managed by the OPM. So I tried not to judge the actual program. If you’re applying to online programs - note that some of the folks you’re interacting with don’t actually work for the school. (Even with the email/area code...) 

Ok I need some help. I have two deposit deadlines coming up this Friday & Saturday and I still haven't heard back from Columbia (one of my top choices). I already received extensions from both schools (originally deposits were due on April 15th & 19th respectively), but I still really don't want to make a decision without hearing from Columbia. However, I also don't feel super comfortable asking the schools for another extension. Is anyone else in a similar position / have any advice?

1 hour ago, mswcandidate2021 said:

Ok I need some help. I have two deposit deadlines coming up this Friday & Saturday and I still haven't heard back from Columbia (one of my top choices). I already received extensions from both schools (originally deposits were due on April 15th & 19th respectively), but I still really don't want to make a decision without hearing from Columbia. However, I also don't feel super comfortable asking the schools for another extension. Is anyone else in a similar position / have any advice?

I was in the same situation... Columbia told me 2 more weeks, I got the extra extension from both schools, and then never heard from Columbia. I was kind of forced into making a decision I wasn't ready to make. Thankfully I am happy with where I put my deposit down, but it was quite stressful to have to deal with all of that. I hope we hear from Columbia soon, and I will attend if I am admitted there - but based on how it has gone so far, I would advise to you make a decision between two of your current schools. 

Edited by cccrsn22