MSW.K

On 4/22/2021 at 7:35 PM, Msw246 said:

It took just under two weeks to receive the survey. I would imagine you have to accept their offer for admission, and then you would receive the survey and emails with more information. 

I'm still going back and forth between NYU and UCLA but I think I'm leaning more towards UCLA since I'm from CA and it just makes more sense financially. Sorry for all the questions, so you received the field placement survey 2 weeks after you submitted your deposit? Do you know when class registration begins? Thank you!

Edited by MSW_2021

17 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

I'm still going back and forth between NYU and UCLA but I think I'm leaning more towards UCLA since I'm from CA and it just makes more sense financially. Sorry for all the questions, so you received the field placement survey 2 weeks after you submitted your deposit? Do you know when class registration begins? Thank you!

Yes, I want to say around 12-14 days. There is no deposit which is nice. You just have to submit your SIR. I am unsure about class registration, but I would imagine that we will receive our registration date sometime this summer. Our Fall quarter classes are the same for first-year students. 

Hey there! I've seen a couple people talk about having their financial aid/scholarship packages appealed or modified. I know some schools provide forms that you can fill out, but I don't know that my schools have something like that (Fordham and Howard, anyone?). 

Does anyone have any further recommendations? On what grounds did you appeal (need, merit, etc), and how successful were you? 

On 4/26/2021 at 10:10 AM, Msw246 said:

Yes, I want to say around 12-14 days. There is no deposit which is nice. You just have to submit your SIR. I am unsure about class registration, but I would imagine that we will receive our registration date sometime this summer. Our Fall quarter classes are the same for first-year students. 

Hi! I've decided to attend UCLA and I messaged you with a few questions!

On 4/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, prospectivegradstudent123 said:

I am waiting on my decision from Tulane! I applied last week April 16th and although it's only been a couple of days my anxiety has be dragging me so bad!

Just so you know, I was notified of my acceptance and financial aid package yesterday-- hope you get an email soon too!

I got my decision yesterday... it was a rejection. I’m honestly very shocked, because it was a very strong application. My resume I feel is great and filled with lots of experience, my 3 recommenders were strong (1 previously worked as a professor in the program, the other go their PhD at the institution), and my personal statement was honest and relative as to why I would be needed in the social work field as a Latinx, first gen trilingual woman. Really don’t know what happened... if anything it was my GPA because it was a 2.8... I was pretty upset to say the least yesterday haha. Congratulations on your acceptance!

3 minutes ago, prospectivegradstudent123 said:

I got my decision yesterday... it was a rejection. I’m honestly very shocked, because it was a very strong application. My resume I feel is great and filled with lots of experience, my 3 recommenders were strong (1 previously worked as a professor in the program, the other go their PhD at the institution), and my personal statement was honest and relative as to why I would be needed in the social work field as a Latinx, first gen trilingual woman. Really don’t know what happened... if anything it was my GPA because it was a 2.8... I was pretty upset to say the least yesterday haha. Congratulations on your acceptance!

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've had the same experience with another school, and I spent the rest of the day in a daze. I hope you have some other options, because I know for a fact that someone with your background, experience, and language skills would be an asset! :(

1 minute ago, fafsaavoidant said:

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've had the same experience with another school, and I spent the rest of the day in a daze. I hope you have some other options, because I know for a fact that someone with your background, experience, and language skills would be an asset! :(

Thank you... I really appreciate it. It was a slap in the face in a way because as my top choice and already going to school here in NOLA, it would’ve helped with my transition. I do blame myself for being too confident in an acceptance, and possibly navigating on my own through the process since my parents don’t speak english (nor had more than a 6th grade education lol) may have made me too comfortable with an acceptance. I applied to USC as well but I knew it’d be a reach school. For now, I’m probably going to have to find a good job that would look good for future MSW applications, which I’ll do again in the fall.

1 hour ago, prospectivegradstudent123 said:

I am sorry to hear that. What school sent the rejection? 

Hey guys! Just wanted to share I was accepted to Columbia tonight! I applied on February 7th. I'm already close to comitting to UNC Chapel Hill which is tied with Columbia as the #3 best MSW program in the country. I am also from North Carolina so it would be WAY more affordable than Columbia. Unless they send me a great financial package, I'm going to decline their acceptance. Sucks I do not come from a rich family to afford the ivy lifestyle. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Also, don't forget- everything happens for a reason, and trust within the process. success  is coming your way :)

Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking this forum but just wanted to post that I received my acceptance to Columbia tonight! I applied on February 15. So excited but also nervous about paying for tuition. Columbia and USC were the only two programs I applied to. Has anyone else who accepted their Columbia decision applied to their online program? I live in NYC currently but am thinking of moving to LA. Congratulations to everyone! 

Edited by dbf2018

23 minutes ago, dbf2018 said:

Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking this forum but just wanted to post that I received my acceptance to Columbia tonight! I applied on February 15. So excited but also nervous about paying for tuition. Columbia and USC were the only two programs I applied to. Has anyone else who accepted their Columbia decision applied to their online program? I live in NYC currently but am thinking of moving to LA. Congratulations to everyone! 

Congratulations, so happy for you. I also applied to Columbia on Feb 15 and confirmation was Feb. 24. When did you receive your confirmation and what time did they send out the notification that your status was updated. Just wondering cause I am anxious lol 

5 hours ago, Minhessica said:

I got accepted into Columbia on the 26th! I just checked my application status tonight because I wasn’t sent an email. Columbia was the only school I applied to :) 

Congratulations. When did you submit your application and receive the confirmation 

Edited by William Prince

10 hours ago, icedcaramelmacchiato said:

Hey guys! Just wanted to share I was accepted to Columbia tonight! I applied on February 7th. I'm already close to comitting to UNC Chapel Hill which is tied with Columbia as the #3 best MSW program in the country. I am also from North Carolina so it would be WAY more affordable than Columbia. Unless they send me a great financial package, I'm going to decline their acceptance. Sucks I do not come from a rich family to afford the ivy lifestyle. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Also, don't forget- everything happens for a reason, and trust within the process. success  is coming your way :)

Congrats! I'm glad to hear that you applied in Feb... I did too and am still waiting :) Those are both amazing schools!!

HI everyone,

Not related to admissions but I thought I would post this here since this thread is so popular. Can everyone sign this petition asking Columbia CSSW to use work study to pay for field placements? It takes 10 seconds. Even if you don't attend or are eligible for work study I think it's important because it addresses financial need and the equity issues that are inherent in social work. Also please DM me if you want to make a case to you social work school! I have a list of federal guidelines and evidence backed reasons for any school that received federal work study to make field placements paid by FWS. I encourage everyone to start this conversation wherever they matriculate because $40k+ in tuition and 1200 hours of unpaid labor is obscene but maybe we can change the standard across all social work schools. Thanks!

http://chng.it/XhxfnC9Cqd