MSW.K

I just pulled up the academic calendar for 2021 at Columbia. It looks like the orientation for advanced standing is on 7-12 Does It seems a little crazy that its less than three months away and they haven't filled all their spots? The Fall semester only starts another month later. It seems like they would have gone through all of the applications by this point and sent out admissions offers and had a waitlist? The last day to even submit an application was over two months ago. I don't wanna come of as complaining, and I know all I can just do is be patient. Just wondering if anyone knows how normal it is for this process to keep dragging out. I thought by this point people awaiting decisions would be outliers. Seems quite a few are still waiting.

13 hours ago, FearedEffect said:

I just pulled up the academic calendar for 2021 at Columbia. It looks like the orientation for advanced standing is on 7-12 Does It seems a little crazy that its less than three months away and they haven't filled all their spots? The Fall semester only starts another month later. It seems like they would have gone through all of the applications by this point and sent out admissions offers and had a waitlist? The last day to even submit an application was over two months ago. I don't wanna come of as complaining, and I know all I can just do is be patient. Just wondering if anyone knows how normal it is for this process to keep dragging out. I thought by this point people awaiting decisions would be outliers. Seems quite a few are still waiting.

I know it seems odd, but looking back at previous years, this is exactly what has happened before. Columbia is one of the biggest MSW programs in the country, and it's any Ivy, so I'd imagine both of those aspects of it draw in a lot of applications (this year they said it was their record). I'm also very anxious too and it seems like most people who applied in Feb haven't heard. But in regards to how "normal" this is, it seems like it's pretty standard for them to have to get through a  lot of apps

17 minutes ago, cccrsn22 said:

I know it seems odd, but looking back at previous years, this is exactly what has happened before. Columbia is one of the biggest MSW programs in the country, and it's any Ivy, so I'd imagine both of those aspects of it draw in a lot of applications (this year they said it was their record). I'm also very anxious too and it seems like most people who applied in Feb haven't heard. But in regards to how "normal" this is, it seems like it's pretty standard for them to have to get through a  lot of apps

Thanks for the reply. I looked through some of the older years as well. It seemed last year they had quite a delay which most people attributed to COVID. Makes sense since no one really knew what things were going to look like a year ago when the shutdowns really took off. Even then it felt like they really pumped the decisions out by late March or April. I guess my only option is to move forward with a different school this week. Once I pay the deposit, get them whatever records they want, get student loans lined up, start looking for housing, start getting a field internship lined up, and whatever else I'll need to do in the coming weeks It will probably be impossible to change course and go with Columbia if they offer me admissions sometime in May. it wouldn't be so frustrating if they could've offered  better feedback when they will finish processing all the applications at least this late in the process.

5 hours ago, cccrsn22 said:

Where did you read that it was recorded applications?

On 4/16/2021 at 4:39 PM, anonpenguin74 said:

Congrats! I was accepted but declined due to not receiving any financial aid (I am in state if that matters). They sent the financial aid letter a few days after the acceptance!

Sorry I’m nosy - feel free to ignore -  have you received a substantial scholarship elsewhere? UCLA + in-state tuition was a pretty sweet deal. 

On 4/16/2021 at 4:33 PM, MSW_2021 said:

I was waitlisted to UCLA but they notified me today that I got accepted! I've already committed to NYU though. Both were my top schools and now I'm kind of wavering! Did anyone here get any financial aid and scholarships from UCLA? 

Are you a CA resident? 

4 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:
On 4/16/2021 at 2:39 PM, anonpenguin74 said:

Congrats! I was accepted but declined due to not receiving any financial aid (I am in state if that matters). They sent the financial aid letter a few days after the acceptance!

Sorry I’m nosy - feel free to ignore -  have you received a substantial scholarship elsewhere? UCLA + in-state tuition was a pretty sweet deal. 

No problem! I'm choosing to go to a Cal State instead, where the tuition is just generally significantly cheaper :D Figured that if I saved money on tuition I'd be able to actually afford a car, which would be helpful for field and life in general lol! I went to UCLA for undergrad so I see it as an opportunity to experience life in a new area too.

2 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

Yes, I'm a CA resident! I'm kind of debating my decision now about NYU. 

Hey, I am attending UCLA, and this past Monday, I attended a "funding your education discussion." They send out a provisional financial aid letter that does not include any scholarships or aid. The advisor disclosed that aid and scholarships are decided on a "need-based aid" format. Meaning they determine how much aid we qualify for and disburse it during the fall, winter, and spring semester (for my understanding). So it is kind of a roll of the dice, hoping we receive as much as possible, but it is reassuring knowing we will receive aid. They also provide information on where we can go in search of scholarships and potential work-study options. I hope this helped, and most of all, congratulations. 

48 minutes ago, Msw246 said:

Hey, I am attending UCLA, and this past Monday, I attended a "funding your education discussion." They send out a provisional financial aid letter that does not include any scholarships or aid. The advisor disclosed that aid and scholarships are decided on a "need-based aid" format. Meaning they determine how much aid we qualify for and disburse it during the fall, winter, and spring semester (for my understanding). So it is kind of a roll of the dice, hoping we receive as much as possible, but it is reassuring knowing we will receive aid. They also provide information on where we can go in search of scholarships and potential work-study options. I hope this helped, and most of all, congratulations. 

Thanks for all the info! Was UCLA your top choice? I was so set on going to NYU and even paid my $300 deposit because I didn't expect to get off UCLA's waitlist. I'm a CA resident so attending UCLA would be a bit more affordable tuition wise but NYU also gave me 15k scholarship per year. 

3 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

Yes, I'm a CA resident! I'm kind of debating my decision now about NYU. 

The tuition + cost of living in NYC....  I would do UCLA, unless you are in a situation where you don’t have to take out any loans in which case - go with your heart’s desire ❤️

1 hour ago, MSW_2021 said:

Thanks for all the info! Was UCLA your top choice? I was so set on going to NYU and even paid my $300 deposit because I didn't expect to get off UCLA's waitlist. I'm a CA resident so attending UCLA would be a bit more affordable tuition wise but NYU also gave me 15k scholarship per year. 

UCLA is going to be about 42K for tuition and NYU looks to be about 106K tuition. Neither includes cost of living. Even with a 30K scholarship, NYU is 2x as expensive as UCLA. Again, depends on your financial situation....  but crushing student loan debt should be avoided if at all possible. Further, you could have access to stipends at UCLA in return for working with a CA-based agency (DCFS, DMH)...  this would mean - essentially - a guaranteed job at graduation with an agency that pays pretty well and provides clinical supervision. UCLA is also pretty close to the West LA VA, another great agency to intern/work with. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

2 hours ago, anonpenguin74 said:

No problem! I'm choosing to go to a Cal State instead, where the tuition is just generally significantly cheaper :D Figured that if I saved money on tuition I'd be able to actually afford a car, which would be helpful for field and life in general lol! I went to UCLA for undergrad so I see it as an opportunity to experience life in a new area too.

100% ~ if you’re going to live in CA, a Cal State {cost of tuition + value of networking) > most, if not all, options.*

*barring a significant scholarship elsewhere, in which case you would still want to weigh networking ?

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

5 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

UCLA is going to be about 36K for tuition and NYU looks to be about 106K tuition. Neither includes cost of living. Even with a 30K scholarship, NYU is 2x as expensive as UCLA. Again, depends on your financial situation....  but crushing student loan debt should be avoided if at all possible. Further, you could have access to stipends at UCLA in return for working with a CA-based agency (DCFS, DMH)...  this would mean - essentially - a guaranteed job at graduation with an agency that pays pretty well and provides clinical supervision. UCLA is also pretty close to the West LA VA, another great agency to intern/work with. 

I wouldn't say I'm in a position where I don't have to take out any loans and is completely without financial worries. I will have to take out some loans (regardless of the school) but most likely won't be the full tuition amount. I also don't have any undergraduate debt so I'm ok with taking out some loans. UCLA is definitely more affordable since I'm a CA resident. I think deep down my heart says NYU because I love NY and it has always been a dream of mine to live there so I feel like this is my chance. I've also done a lot of research on NYU and talked to MSW students there and I feel like their program really aligns with what I want to do. At the same time, UCLA is a great school and I'll probably have better connections for CA jobs. 

4 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

I wouldn't say I'm in a position where I don't have to take out any loans and is completely without financial worries. I will have to take out some loans (regardless of the school) but most likely won't be the full tuition amount. I also don't have any undergraduate debt so I'm ok with taking out some loans. UCLA is definitely more affordable since I'm a CA resident. I think deep down my heart says NYU because I love NY and it has always been a dream of mine to live there so I feel like this is my chance. I've also done a lot of research on NYU and talked to MSW students there and I feel like their program really aligns with what I want to do. At the same time, UCLA is a great school and I'll probably have better connections for CA jobs. 

I totally get that. Is school going to be in person this fall at NYU? I would also factor in Covid. 

8 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I totally get that. Is school going to be in person this fall at NYU? I would also factor in Covid. 

NYU mentioned that they're planning for in-person or hybrid but aren't 100% sure yet. UCLA's email mentions they expect to return to more in-person learning as well and we'll be updated. I think it's still up in the air for most schools. I have until the 30th to respond to UCLA so I'll think about it a bit more. I'm also not sure how I'll go about telling NYU that I won't be attending if I eventually change my mind and go with UCLA since I've already paid the deposit and even turned in my field placement form. 

Edited by MSW_2021

Don’t worry about them. Higher education is a business - especially professional degree programs - and they’re used to it. I guarantee you they will have someone to fill your spot. If this were a PhD program, it would be a little different as far as politics and possibly burning bridges.... MSW level - don’t sweat it. When making your list of the pros and cons of each program - don’t give any weight to that aspect. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

45 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

100% ~ if you’re going to live in CA, a Cal State {cost of tuition + value of networking) > most, if not all, options.*

*barring a significant scholarship elsewhere, in which case you would still want to weigh networking ?

Definitely! When it comes down to it, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the quality of UCLA's program vs programs at other schools. Just depends where you personally want to go! Cost is always significant too ?

Hey y'all! I was just admitted to UChicago and on my award letter was given some aid, but nothing about a merit scholarship. The letter also said that financial aid information would be forthcoming. In other people's experience, does that second letter include more scholarship money?

6 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Don’t worry about them. Higher education is a business - especially professional degree programs - and they’re used to it. I guarantee you they will have someone to fill your spot. If this were a PhD program, it would be a little different as far as politics and possibly burning bridges.... MSW level - don’t sweat it. When making your list of the pros and cons of each program - don’t give any weight to that aspect. 

I've been worried about this too. So I appreciate your thoughts on it. It gave me some relief reading this. I'm thinking about paying a deposit this week that I may end up walking away from in a few weeks depending on how things work out. I just don't have a crystal ball. I don't wanna shot myself in the foot either.

16 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

It was my top academic choice by far-thinking it would be a long shot for me to be accepted, but here I am. I am a CA resident and only applied to CA schools due to the costs of out-of-state tuition. The affordability of CA schools and the expected salary of a social worker make it a hard sell to pursue an MSW degree out of state.