Critical Language Scholarship 2021 Applicants

Umenohana

4 hours ago, rht said:

@jujubea That's strange. Did you email Middlebury to confirm?

Yes thank you. Accepted to Middlebury!

Rejected for Mandarin CLS :( 

Fingers crossed Middlebury/Davis Fellows comes through with funding otherwise it's a no-go for me on immersive language learning this year.

Congratulations to all you semi-finalists! Fingers crossed for the next stage!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I checked this forum while waiting for CLS results, and I figured I'd make an account. I'm a CLS Russian semifinalist and am accepted into Middlebury Italian and Spanish. Does anyone know when CLS usually send out the final notifications? Also, has anyone here applied to ASU's Critical Language Institute? I'm finishing up my application sometime this week.

10 hours ago, ohdunk said:

Hey everyone! I checked this forum while waiting for CLS results, and I figured I'd make an account. I'm a CLS Russian semifinalist and am accepted into Middlebury Italian and Spanish. Does anyone know when CLS usually send out the final notifications? Also, has anyone here applied to ASU's Critical Language Institute? I'm finishing up my application sometime this week.

See my comment on page 2, I listed the finalist notification times from previous years. That will give you a rough idea.

On 2/10/2021 at 10:33 PM, Umenohana said:

See my comment on page 2, I listed the finalist notification times from previous years. That will give you a rough idea.

thanks so much, I totally missed that! I really appreciate that you've compiled all that information into one space.

So if it turns out that the time between the semi-finalist and finalist notifications is 45 days (which would be tied for the longest wait in the past 7 years), then the notifications would come out on March 5th. However, the "average" day that it was sent out the past six years was March 2nd! Those are only 21 and 18 days away, respectively. Not that I'm counting or anything...

29 minutes ago, ohdunk said:

thanks so much, I totally missed that! I really appreciate that you've compiled all that information into one space.

Somebody else did the bulk of work, I just added days of the week and the info for the last 2 years :)

Just now, socrytes said:

So if it turns out that the time between the semi-finalist and finalist notifications is 45 days (which would be tied for the longest wait in the past 7 years), then the notifications would come out on March 5th. However, the "average" day that it was sent out the past six years was March 2nd! Those are only 21 and 18 days away, respectively. Not that I'm counting or anything...

If we're taking bets, I'll say March 2nd!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, caffeinatedcuban said:

Has anyone heard anything? Not sure if they send out finalist, alternate, and non-recipient notifications at the same time or not, but I'm waiting anxiously! :)

Good luck everyone!

I also have not heard anything back about the Korean program. I’m positively thrumming with anxious energy rn. 

I seriously doubt the program will be on-site this year. Considering vaccine distribution here and in host countries, the number of host families that could be exposed, and the spaces required for teaching make me think it's going online. CLS might try to plan for in-person learning, but I think they'll be working on their online curriculum as well.

When it was virtual last year, was there still a stipend for living expenses? That is my biggest concern. If we're overseas, everything is covered. If we're in the States, will I still need to foot the bill for my living expenses? I would love to be able to focus exclusively on the CLS curriculum this summer, instead of balancing it with a part-time job.

48 minutes ago, thediesel said:

When it was virtual last year, was there still a stipend for living expenses? That is my biggest concern. If we're overseas, everything is covered. If we're in the States, will I still need to foot the bill for my living expenses? I would love to be able to focus exclusively on the CLS curriculum this summer, instead of balancing it with a part-time job.

Recipient from last summer's virtual program here. There was an allotment for 'technology' expenses, so that we each could purchase a proper laptop/headset if we didn't have one already. I used part of it to pay rent because that was a way to secure a proper studying environment for me, but they made it clear that it wasn't really intended to be helpful in that department. It was given in the form of direct deposit, $750

From what I understand, they were considerably defunded due to the impossibility of study abroad programming last year. Whether or not the amount would be the same or more this year, not sure

6 minutes ago, anchko said:

Recipient from last summer's virtual program here. There was an allotment for 'technology' expenses, so that we each could purchase a proper laptop/headset if we didn't have one already. I used part of it to pay rent because that was a way to secure a proper studying environment for me, but they made it clear that it wasn't really intended to be helpful in that department. It was given in the form of direct deposit, $750

From what I understand, they were considerably defunded due to the impossibility of study abroad programming last year. Whether or not the amount would be the same or more this year, not sure

Is it worth doing if it’s virtual only? I am thinking it may be just to receive the NCE, but going to a host site to experience cultural immersion is the big draw of this program. Of course learning the language is valuable to me, but that’s easier to do in country. 

4 minutes ago, CubanoGonzo said:

Is it worth doing if it’s virtual only? I am thinking it may be just to receive the NCE, but going to a host site to experience cultural immersion is the big draw of this program. Of course learning the language is valuable to me, but that’s easier to do in country. 

It was definitely worth it to me! I advanced by a level and a half by the end of the summer. But yes, much more on the intensive studying side than true immersion. It really depends. If that doesn't sound as fulfilling to you and you do get an offer, just know plenty of alternates would be thrilled to get a shot!

26 minutes ago, anchko said:

This is good to know. If I get it, I will definitely accept and find a way to supplement my income.