Harvard Kennedy MPP 2021

realist2020

2 hours ago, Hina said:

Got into the MC/MPA program and still in a state of shock. I keep looking at the admission letter just to make sure I read it correctly :) 

Any other MC/MPAers here? Would love to connect! 

2 hours ago, Hina said:

I applied in 2015 for the MPP program and didn't get in, and reapplied for the MC/MPA this year and received admission. In my case, I just have a lot more leadership experience now (Executive Director of a local nonprofit, Program Director of a national nonprofit, etc.) 

Hi Hina, so good to know you got in! many congrats!

I have a decade of experience in the energy downstream sector and worked with the country’s major oil companies at a managerial position — still wondering what went against me:

a) private sector 

b) no GRE and TOEFL (both weren’t necessary in my case)

c) not meeting the average  experience of 13 years

54 minutes ago, William_1982 said:

Rejected last year for MC/MPA, reapplied and waitlisted this year. Biggest difference was improved GRE scores - 297 combined score last year, 315 this year. 

was it mason prog?

Just now, William_1982 said:

No, MC/MPA but not Mason. 

and what’s your background like?

I’m so curious to find about those who belong to private sector, wanted to pivot their career and got in!

2 hours ago, Hina said:

Got into the MC/MPA program and still in a state of shock. I keep looking at the admission letter just to make sure I read it correctly :) 

Any other MC/MPAers here? Would love to connect! 

I also got into the MC/MPA program, but not sure if I got any funding yet. I was waitlisted for the CPL fellowship 

1 hour ago, Lina8625 said:

Congratulations to those admitted!

I made it as a finalist for a CPL fellowship but was waitlisted for the MC/MPA program. I’m assuming that I didn’t get the fellowship as I was waitlisted. Trying to stay optimistic! 

How did your interview for the fellowship go? Admittedly I got so nervous during mine and I don't think I put my best foot forward and I do believe that had an impact on the decision to waitlist me. I keep replaying all the things in my head, I know I just need to look ahead but am feeling pretty awful today. 

6 hours ago, nkrish21 said:

how do you know if you have no aid? Is this because you received a mail saying you did not get aid or because you got no email at all?

I'm an MC MPA Mason admit - but have not heard regarding aid, from the email mentioned in my offer.

I got an email to login to MYFAID and it only showed loans and no scholarships on the "view awards" tab

10 minutes ago, HKSpurgatory said:

How did your interview for the fellowship go? Admittedly I got so nervous during mine and I don't think I put my best foot forward and I do believe that had an impact on the decision to waitlist me. I keep replaying all the things in my head, I know I just need to look ahead but am feeling pretty awful today. 

I got very nervous too. But I think that’s part of the process, reflection, and opportunity for growth. Probably not what you want to hear but don’t feel discouraged. They didn’t say no. There’s hope. Take what you learned and use it for next time. Hopefully you get good news! But if you don’t, consider re-applying and write down the areas you want to strengthen! 

5 hours ago, nkrish21 said:

yep me too - are you under the Mason program too?

Did you hear about funding?

I'm not in the Mason program - just the regular MC/MPA! 

No funding :( but honestly, I'm just happy I got in! haha

3 hours ago, midcmpa21 said:

Hi Hina, so good to know you got in! many congrats!

I have a decade of experience in the energy downstream sector and worked with the country’s major oil companies at a managerial position — still wondering what went against me:

a) private sector 

b) no GRE and TOEFL (both weren’t necessary in my case)

c) not meeting the average  experience of 13 years

Thank you!

So sorry to hear you didn't get in - hope you reapply next year!

Just for context - I didn't submit a GRE score with my application and I have 11 years of work experience (all at domestic and international nonprofits). 

Also, random side note -- I'm also Pakistani! So nice to meet a fellow Pakistani on here :) 

Edited by Hina

anyone get into the MPP with impact investing background? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth reapplying next year as I just got rejected.

My stats - 164Q 166V, 5 years experience (2 at a leading US foundation, then 3 living in an emerging market on the management team of a fintech startup with leading equity investors), 3.6 GPA from top ~2 private US university

Congrats to everyone who was accepted and for those who ventured to apply regardless of the result! That in and of itself is quite a feat.

For those who have been accepted with a fellowship or are already at HKS do you know if they are willing to negotiate on stipends? They offered me a modest but helpful amount on top of a stipend from my external fellowship, but I also received a fellowship that provides tuition assistance so I now have a surplus. I am wondering if the surplus of tuition assistance from the two fellowships gives me any means to negotiate for a larger stipend from Harvard. I know I won't receive the excess funding but if anyone has any insight on how willing they are to negotiate that would be incredibly helpful! I am really hoping to find a way to offset housing costs and a larger stipend would help do that. 

Hi all -- I have been admitted to the MPP with a full-ride (no additional stipend and no named fellowship, though I am an "alternate" for one). I will be turning down the offer today and I hope others also make their decisions quickly to help those on the waitlist.

I'm sharing the above mostly to remind everyone, whether they got in or not, that HKS is an amazing school that will unlock phenomenal opportunities but it is not the best fit for everyone! There's lot to like but also lots to be aware of. ?

1 minute ago, AMA_AMA said:

Hi all -- I have been admitted to the MPP with a full-ride (no additional stipend and no named fellowship, though I am an "alternate" for one). I will be turning down the offer today and I hope others also make their decisions quickly to help those on the waitlist.

I'm sharing the above mostly to remind everyone, whether they got in or not, that HKS is an amazing school that will unlock phenomenal opportunities but it is not the best fit for everyone! There's lot to like but also lots to be aware of. ?

that's amazing! How did you get a full ride without a fellowship, if I may ask? Was it with an external scholarship?

3 minutes ago, intlapplicant said:

that's amazing! How did you get a full ride without a fellowship, if I may ask? Was it with an external scholarship?

Ahh -- correction. It wasn't one of the CLP fellowships but rather a JFK scholarship (maybe need based? idk) and a scholarship from one of the centers.

6 minutes ago, AMA_AMA said:

Congrats on the admit, and good luck on your next endeavor.  Thanks for keeping in mind those that are on the waitlist.  Speaking of which, are there admitted MC/MPA folks thinking of declining their offer?  Just want to get a read.  FYI i'm a waitlisted MC/MPA applicant.

26 minutes ago, AMA_AMA said:

Thanks for sharing! Curious why you're turning down HKS and where you're doing instead, and what factors you were aware of?

46 minutes ago, AMA_AMA said:

I’m wondering what should one be aware of?

Are there any circumstances under which it makes sense to accept the HKS offer with no scholarship funding? I have 50% to near full funding offers at Syracuse, Michigan, Georgetown, and Columbia but am feeling majorly hung up on Harvard based on that gut feeling I had when I opened my admission letter.

Was hoping to do a joint MPP/JD degree program but was rejected from HLS last week. Would enrolling and doing well at HKS improve chances for reapplying or is that an absurd gamble? 

So I received admission from MPP program. I applied to the fellowships by the February 4 deadline but received no funding from them. My question is, are there any need-based awards that I would be eligible for? 

I am talking to a lot of current students of Harvard from my country and all of them mention need-based awards. Do you guys know anything about this? 

3 hours ago, AMA_AMA said:

I received the same offer as you but am inclined to accept it, so would echo the request that you elaborate more on some of the reasons HKS isn't a good fit for you, if you're willing to share!

8 hours ago, rnk said:

anyone get into the MPP with impact investing background? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth reapplying next year as I just got rejected.

My stats - 164Q 166V, 5 years experience (2 at a leading US foundation, then 3 living in an emerging market on the management team of a fintech startup with leading equity investors), 3.6 GPA from top ~2 private US university

Whoa, such an impressive profile. Admissions truly is a black box. Not too sound totally obnoxious but I have a similar profile, but with 4 years experience - part of which is in impact investing. I'm wondering what went wrong - high GREs, super quantitative undergrad (although I had quite a few Bs but the school is MIT/Stanford), 3 awesome LORs (albeit from the same workplace). Maybe the "why MPP" wasn't clear. 

Would my chances of getting in improve if I apply next year for the MPA instead and as a MIT MBA student? Anything y'all would suggesting changing in the above?