Harvard Kennedy MPP 2021

realist2020

Just now, Mpa-aspiration said:

Yea, no one knows. I'm staying optimistic and think we still have a good chance.  Alot of folks applied this year, and for the admitted who knows..they may realize they have better financial options elsewhere, or its not worth leaving their job for school.  Im still hopeful.

Actually HKS already took that into consideration when it sent out the offers. They always send out many more offers than places available. So even if 30 percent decline, they might still not go into the waiting list. Searched the admission rate for people on the waiting list is 18 percent on average for an university.

22 minutes ago, StudentUSA said:

Actually HKS already took that into consideration when it sent out the offers. They always send out many more offers than places available. So even if 30 percent decline, they might still not go into the waiting list. Searched the admission rate for people on the waiting list is 18 percent on average for an university.

are we also accounting for coming off the heels of an outlier year with covid, which may still impact this year.  Look, i'm still hopefully, and i'll cross that bridge when i get there.  

24 minutes ago, Mpa-aspiration said:

are we also accounting for coming off the heels of an outlier year with covid, which may still impact this year.  Look, i'm still hopefully, and i'll cross that bridge when i get there.  

Remain hopeful! Was initially rejected last year and then pulled onto a second waitlist, assumingly due to all the covid-19 craziness.  

6 minutes ago, lisbonb said:

Remain hopeful! Was initially rejected last year and then pulled onto a second waitlist, assumingly due to all the covid-19 craziness.  

Agree. I think there will be alot of declines- stingy HKS funding, job market improving, a lot of people that possibly applied due to the economic unknowns, some hoping for virtual classes, intl students not able to travel this summer, etc .

This is just the first round...

Edited by haroldhar

5 minutes ago, ladiesman217 said:

Rejected - but full rides to Yale and MSFS... interested in State Dep or Intelligence world. Seeing as how we been through this ride together, hoping you all could help me out one last time. Which would you choose? To make things harder, GF is in DC...

For your career aspirations, surely MSFS! You've an amazing offer from there! Congratulations

19 minutes ago, ladiesman217 said:

Rejected - but full rides to Yale and MSFS... interested in State Dep or Intelligence world. Seeing as how we been through this ride together, hoping you all could help me out one last time. Which would you choose? To make things harder, GF is in DC...

Me too unfortunately! (But congrats on your acceptances). Would agree on MSFS if that’s your focus for studies.

Jumping on top of this to add mine in and try to steal some of your feedback haha. Trying to layer in - quality of program and focus, alumni, job recruiters into program, prestige of institution. From Canada, so big brand US names mean a lot versus smaller program that may be excellent:

- Yale Jackson MA - full ride

- Columbia SIPA MIA - full ride and Fellowship program

- Princeton SPIA MPA - 80% funding

- Chicago and Georgetown MPP - some funding

couldn’t make it to MC/MPA but only encouraged to do more and better for the next time and at the same time also considering cornell!

congratulations y’all who are accepted — it was great chatting here!

58 minutes ago, haroldhar said:

Rejected but keeping the faith- remember, last year people went from rejected to waitlist to accepted over a matter of weeks! All rules are out the window at HKS given the pandemic. Congrats to those that got in today, good luck to those of us that didn't- it's not over until the first day of classes!

what does your letter look like?

2 minutes ago, midcmpa21 said:

what does your letter look like?

"Each year the Harvard Kennedy School Admissions Committee completes the grueling task of reviewing applications submitted by a highly qualified applicant pool. Applicants with outstanding records of achievement, demonstrated leadership abilities, and commitment to public service apply from all over the world for a limited number of spaces. This year, we have identified many more qualified candidates than we were able to admit. After careful review of your application, I regret to inform you that the Admissions Committee is unable to offer you admission to the Mid-Career MPA Program at this time. 

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide individualized feedback regarding the Committee’s decision. Although we cannot offer you a place in next year’s class, we are certain you have a bright future ahead. The world needs individuals dedicated to the public interest and your commitment is sure to make a difference. Thank you for your interest in Harvard Kennedy School and your patience during the review process. We wish you all the best on your journey to making the world a better place.

Sincerely,

Oliver B. Street, III

Just now, haroldhar said:

"Each year the Harvard Kennedy School Admissions Committee completes the grueling task of reviewing applications submitted by a highly qualified applicant pool. Applicants with outstanding records of achievement, demonstrated leadership abilities, and commitment to public service apply from all over the world for a limited number of spaces. This year, we have identified many more qualified candidates than we were able to admit. After careful review of your application, I regret to inform you that the Admissions Committee is unable to offer you admission to the Mid-Career MPA Program at this time. 

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide individualized feedback regarding the Committee’s decision. Although we cannot offer you a place in next year’s class, we are certain you have a bright future ahead. The world needs individuals dedicated to the public interest and your commitment is sure to make a difference. Thank you for your interest in Harvard Kennedy School and your patience during the review process. We wish you all the best on your journey to making the world a better place.

Sincerely,

Oliver B. Street, III

yeah same here!

could have been “congrats” too lol!

waitlist letter:

The Admissions Committee has completed its selection of candidates for admission to the Mid-Career MPA Program at Harvard Kennedy School. The high caliber of this year’s applicants made the Committee’s task an extremely difficult one. Admission to HKS is always very competitive, and many fine candidates are not admitted during the first round of admissions.

In the review process, we identified a number of applicants whom we would like to invite to remain on our waiting list. We are pleased to inform you that you are among the candidates on that list. We are unable to offer you admission at this time, but a place may become available for you later this spring or in early summer. We will have a better idea of your prospects for admission in mid-to-late May after admitted candidates have responded to our offer. We will notify you of any action on your application as soon as it is taken.

While we hope you can wait, we do not recommend that you turn down offers to other graduate programs or employment opportunities that are attractive to you.

We would be very pleased if you would agree to accept a place on our waiting list so that we can extend an offer of admission to you if space becomes available. Please indicate your desire to accept or decline a place on the waiting by submitting the waiting list response form by April 30, 2021. Important details regarding the waiting list are noted below my signature. 

Sincerely,

Oliver_Street_Signature.jpg
Oliver B. Street, III
Assistant Dean for Enrollment Services