Harvard Kennedy MPP 2021

realist2020

5 minutes ago, Mpa-aspiration said:

waitlist letter:

The Admissions Committee has completed its selection of candidates for admission to the Mid-Career MPA Program at Harvard Kennedy School. The high caliber of this year’s applicants made the Committee’s task an extremely difficult one. Admission to HKS is always very competitive, and many fine candidates are not admitted during the first round of admissions.

In the review process, we identified a number of applicants whom we would like to invite to remain on our waiting list. We are pleased to inform you that you are among the candidates on that list. We are unable to offer you admission at this time, but a place may become available for you later this spring or in early summer. We will have a better idea of your prospects for admission in mid-to-late May after admitted candidates have responded to our offer. We will notify you of any action on your application as soon as it is taken.

While we hope you can wait, we do not recommend that you turn down offers to other graduate programs or employment opportunities that are attractive to you.

We would be very pleased if you would agree to accept a place on our waiting list so that we can extend an offer of admission to you if space becomes available. Please indicate your desire to accept or decline a place on the waiting by submitting the waiting list response form by April 30, 2021. Important details regarding the waiting list are noted below my signature. 

Sincerely,

Oliver_Street_Signature.jpg
Oliver B. Street, III
Assistant Dean for Enrollment Services

Thanks! I predict there will be an early wave of declines given the current pandemic climate and that we shall see waitlist movement by mid-April. Does anyone remember when the HKS waitlist/rejected movements started last year? I think 1st week of April?

2 minutes ago, haroldhar said:

Thank you! Did they mention anything in the letter about in person or virtual classes?

"......we are planning for in-person classes, although we are also developing backup plans in case health protocols set by Massachusetts and Harvard University this Fall limit the allowable density on campus."

24 minutes ago, Mpa-aspiration said:

There is another forum form last Waitlist 2020.  Where folks were getting moved from the waitlist and accepted on the first week of April.  Hopefully that will be the case again this year.  We shall see.

I think we will see similar dynamics at play- maybe a week or two behind the timelines from last year. Those on the waitlist will be fine- and rejected applicants shouldn't count themselves out yet.

1 hour ago, canadianguyfromontario said:

Me too unfortunately! (But congrats on your acceptances). Would agree on MSFS if that’s your focus for studies.

Jumping on top of this to add mine in and try to steal some of your feedback haha. Trying to layer in - quality of program and focus, alumni, job recruiters into program, prestige of institution. From Canada, so big brand US names mean a lot versus smaller program that may be excellent:

- Yale Jackson MA - full ride

- Columbia SIPA MIA - full ride and Fellowship program

- Princeton SPIA MPA - 80% funding

- Chicago and Georgetown MPP - some funding

I thought that Princeton’s MPA is always full-ride, no?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but will those waitlisted now get to know the final outcomes of their financial aid apps (regardless of outcome) soon too? Especially involving financial aid that do not come directly from HKS’s funding pot. 

Edited by nc922

Hi, new member of the forum and just got into MPA2 (but with no financial assistance)

Congrats to those who got admitted! Fingers crossed for those on WL (I was in a similar boat before and understand the excruciating wait). For those who didn’t get accepted - it’s really hks’ loss! 
What has been common ways to fund your hks program? Loans? Certain scholarship organizations friendly to hks students? 
Are there platforms where admits can chat with each other and/or with current students on questions? Eg fb, slack, whatsapp 

many thanks! 

Edited by vitalism

I only have one question and it is very important to me.

Can waitlisters defer their offers if they get one? I heard hks has strict non-deferal policy for people on the waiting list. With no funding, I will likely have to work one year or two more before attending ?

2 hours ago, mildlyconfusedmar said:

Anyone in a similar boat of being accepted with no funding to HKS MPP with no aid vs SAIS and SIPA  with $$? What are the tradeoffs? How are you thinking about it?

Here! Tough decision, I’m also looking for advice

congrats on your acceptance!

3 hours ago, mildlyconfusedmar said:

Anyone in a similar boat of being accepted with no funding to HKS MPP with no aid vs SAIS and SIPA  with $$? What are the tradeoffs? How are you thinking about it?

how do you know if you have no aid? Is this because you received a mail saying you did not get aid or because you got no email at all?

I'm an MC MPA Mason admit - but have not heard regarding aid, from the email mentioned in my offer.

3 hours ago, StudentUSA said:

I only have one question and it is very important to me.

Can waitlisters defer their offers if they get one? I heard hks has strict non-deferal policy for people on the waiting list. With no funding, I will likely have to work one year or two more before attending ?

Hey, I haven't done the Math on it but won't it make more sense to take the loan and repay with a higher income after grad school than earn less now? Obviously interest will be a big factor.  

Got into the MC/MPA program and still in a state of shock. I keep looking at the admission letter just to make sure I read it correctly :) 

Any other MC/MPAers here? Would love to connect! 

3 hours ago, sup5505 said:

This + what did you do differently if you got in after reapplying? 

I applied in 2015 for the MPP program and didn't get in, and reapplied for the MC/MPA this year and received admission. In my case, I just have a lot more leadership experience now (Executive Director of a local nonprofit, Program Director of a national nonprofit, etc.) 

42 minutes ago, Hina said:

Got into the MC/MPA program and still in a state of shock. I keep looking at the admission letter just to make sure I read it correctly :) 

Any other MC/MPAers here? Would love to connect! 

yep me too - are you under the Mason program too?

Did you hear about funding?