Harvard Kennedy MPP 2021

realist2020

1 hour ago, sd9000 said:

For those with CPL and other fellowships who are receiving grants or stipends, did your grant/stipend show up in your MYFAID portal? I can only see my tuition support, but not anything else. Curious to know if that comes later. 

Yep, my grant and stipend both showed up.

Looking for some insight on my specific situation, if anyone has any thoughts! I have to make a decision between the MPP at HKS and the MPA at Columbia University.

My situation is that I got a partial fellowship at HKS, and a full tuition fellowship at Columbia. As an international student, taking out loans is quite tricky, so I'm leaning towards choosing Columbia.However, HKS is still my first choice, so I'm wondering if anyone has any comments about this scenario. Is HKS really that much better than Columbia, and would sacrificing a full tuition fellowship be worth it? 
Or... are there any possibilities of getting a scholarship from HKS at this point? 

Last year today we saw movement from Waitlist > Accepted and Rejected > Waitlist.

Obviously a lot of unknowns out there again this year- has anyone heard any further news from HKS since decision release day? I think we may start hearing within the next week.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:04 PM, intlapplicant said:

Looking for some insight on my specific situation, if anyone has any thoughts! I have to make a decision between the MPP at HKS and the MPA at Columbia University.

My situation is that I got a partial fellowship at HKS, and a full tuition fellowship at Columbia. As an international student, taking out loans is quite tricky, so I'm leaning towards choosing Columbia.However, HKS is still my first choice, so I'm wondering if anyone has any comments about this scenario. Is HKS really that much better than Columbia, and would sacrificing a full tuition fellowship be worth it? 
Or... are there any possibilities of getting a scholarship from HKS at this point? 

Hi, I'm in a pretty similar situation. SIPA with partial funding and HKS with no funding.

In terms of placement, I have heard and read that there is no difference in placement. In fact, I have heard that there is more SIPA graduates than HKS ones in WB, but this is just anecdotical.

If you only consider placement, academics, etc, it seems that there is little difference. However, HKS is the dream school for many, and all pros / cons seem so little when you put emotional value in something.

If I had a partial scholarship in HKS I would take an acceptable debt and go for it. But with no funding I would have to take a massive debt, and that change things.

Hope it helps.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, haroldhar said:

Last year today we saw movement from Waitlist > Accepted and Rejected > Waitlist.

Obviously a lot of unknowns out there again this year- has anyone heard any further news from HKS since decision release day? I think we may start hearing within the next week.

Do we know what was the acceptance deadline for those who got admitted?

On 4/9/2021 at 9:20 PM, haroldhar said:

I got the magazine today!

ah, how I wish I get to hear about being waitlisted!

Do any of you have some ideas of online courses that could help improve the quantitative skills aspect of my application. I was rejected this year and I plan on reapplying at some point in the future and I am wondering which courses/programs HKS might see as 'serious' enough to improve my application.

3 hours ago, mpp_app2021 said:

Do any of you have some ideas of online courses that could help improve the quantitative skills aspect of my application. I was rejected this year and I plan on reapplying at some point in the future and I am wondering which courses/programs HKS might see as 'serious' enough to improve my application.

I think any course for which you are earning credit will be seen as "serious." I've seen some people on this forum get caught up in the idea of having to take courses from Harvard or other Ivys and I frankly don't think that's necessary. For reference, I took multivariate calculus online through the University of North Dakota and was accepted into MPA/ID. I think as long as you are taking the course through an accredited institution (even a community college), the course description seems exhaustive, and you are earning credits (not a Coursera or EdX class), you'll be viewed positively.

The exact courses will have to depend on where you think you have weaknesses. The instructions on the admissions site for the quant resume considers "mathematics, statistics, economics, logic, science, information technology, and engineering" all relevant, so maybe look into topics in those areas that seem interesting and useful to you. IMO data analysis seems particularly relevant and will be a great resume booster for not only the HKS app but also on the job market, so that's where I would go. 

I had reached out to admissions team to enquire if the next update will come out before the 30th. They confirmed that it will not happen until after the 30th. Looking at 2018/2019 trends, the next update was released within 1-2 weeks after the deadline. However, this first deadline is pretty delayed this year so it may happen in a week's time after the 30th..or max 2 weeks in any case.

21 hours ago, haroldhar said:

Curious to hear if there have been any updates the past few days? I am hearing through a good source that a lot of people declined HKS this year-

I would find that hard to believe under the current environment.  Yield at the tippy top schools is always high, and especially so this year.