MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

15 minutes ago, Multiple_Realisms said:

Hi! Just wondering how it went/is going with ASU? I applied to their intermedia and sculpture programs and had some pretty intimidating (but good? I hope?) interviews with about 5 members of each faculty, and am now waiting to hear. Have you interviewed or heard anything? Best of luck to you with your applications. 

I had an interview with ASU for ceramics... Also still waiting to hear back!

1 hour ago, lizavetar96 said:

But those video clips were listed as requirements from BFA applicants........... 

maybe my idiot brain read it wrong but that is how I understood it. (CalArts is my top school so I will be devastated if the lack of a 90 second video is smth that shoots me in the leg)

It says “Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a video introduction. We would very much like to meet you and since this would be impossible in practical terms, we ask that you send a brief video introducing yourself” on their website. It’s not required.

Hmmmmm. 

That is strange. Because when I am on the website page on Photography MFA requirements https://calarts.edu/admissions/portfolio-audition-requirements/art/photography-and-media

it mentions the video intro only regarding the BFA students. Anyhow. It is too late for me anyhow to submit that. “BFA students are strongly encouraged to submit a video introduction. We would very much like to meet you. Since this would be impossible in practical terms, we ask that you send a brief video introducing yoursel”

On 10/7/2020 at 6:51 PM, aniben3 said:

I'm applying, but I have to say it's hard to keep up motivation with everything going on right now. Maybe that's why people aren't posting? 
I'm a fiber / interdisciplinary person. Got into SAIC & Cranbrook last year, but couldn't afford it unfortunately, especially with all the uncertainty with the uh, state of the world. This year's list is Oregon, Iowa, VCU, ASU, Indiana -Bloomington, and Pennsylvania.

We'll see how it goes, haha, I really like the programs.

Did Cranbrook offer any type of scholarship or aid? I saw something about them offering like one full ride per dept. I have an interview coming up and I’m interested in their program, but the amount of debt I’m in from SAIC undergrad is unspeakable. I’m afraid I would not be able to afford it either. 

16 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I think that can happen but the name holds weight- https://news.artnet.com/art-world/mfa-degree-successful-artists-620891

This quote is striking- "Yale and the “Power Law”
If you can, is it worth going to graduate school for art, though? The answer is fairly clear. Yes—if you go to Yale.

Over this 50-year period, Yale’s Graduate School of Art has pumped out nearly 10 percent of all our successful artists.

Indeed, if you look at the distribution of schools on the list, it follows what statisticians call a “power law”—it has a tall head and a long tail. As one blog on the concept explains, “power law” distributions are ones in which “a small number of outcomes have dramatically higher values than the remaining population.”

and

"Yale’s weight in this Top 500 is already more than its next two competitors, UCLA and Columbia, combined. Looking just at the MFA-trained artists on this list, a full 17 percent went to Yale."

Maybe things changed since that article came out. Tradition is hard to break.

oh god this makes me a lot less hopeful...cant be mad at data

21 minutes ago, 3arabiyya said:

oh god this makes me a lot less hopeful...cant be mad at data

Plenty of successful artists right now that didn't go to Yale for grad school. Don't let this article, that I'm not discrediting at all, be a vector for success. There's also plenty of artists that have went to Yale and didn't get a "taste of the kingdom" upon exiting. It's all a crap shoot. 

Okay, I am so I don’t know... weird things always happen to me in these processes... I got an interview request from UCLA and I for some odd reason totally missed the email... I think it was in my spam folder, but I am not sure because when I opened it it changed inboxes... ??? I hope they don’t think I am uninterested... because I am so interested!!! AHHhh someone please persuade me this is not a big deal. I obviously did respond already. 

34 minutes ago, XSX said:

Plenty of successful artists right now that didn't go to Yale for grad school. Don't let this article, that I'm not discrediting at all, be a vector for success. There's also plenty of artists that have went to Yale and didn't get a "taste of the kingdom" upon exiting. It's all a crap shoot. 

I agree...the art world has changed pretty dramatically in the past couple of years. Yale and Columbia are fantastic ways to get gallery representation straight out of school, but there are a lot of solid programs out there, especially if you are interested in pursuing a career in academia. It really depends on your aspirations...and how you define success...

I read about this workshop tonight: https://www.vvrkshop.art/is-it-time-to-kill-the-mfa

One of the guest speakers is Chris White, the director of the Carnegie Mellon school of Art...interesting timing with offers going out over the next couple of months. Thought it might be worth sharing...

Also wanted to say that this thread is alleviating much of the anxiety I've felt this application season ?

1 hour ago, Hphphphp said:

Okay, I am so I don’t know... weird things always happen to me in these processes... I got an interview request from UCLA and I for some odd reason totally missed the email... I think it was in my spam folder, but I am not sure because when I opened it it changed inboxes... ??? I hope they don’t think I am uninterested... because I am so interested!!! AHHhh someone please persuade me this is not a big deal. I obviously did respond already. 

Congrats! I am sure it will be great ?What department was it?

1 hour ago, XSX said:

I completely agree! It’s definitely all crap. There’s probably 1-2 successful artists from Yale that I’ve seen/ heard of who are making 6-7 digits income through their success and one of them happens to be the artist who created Obama’s portrait. Damien Hirst is worth billions and he didn’t go to Yale and neither did Jeff Koons. Don’t let a school determine your success because that comes down to you and your originality ONLY. Your artistic ability is what’s going to get you far not a degree. 

Also, I’ve seen a lot of students coming out of RISD, UCLA, Slade and NYAA and becoming a huge success whether it’s making art and selling or holding exhibitions. You all got this! 

Edited by NoraEllie

4 hours ago, Multiple_Realisms said:

Hi! Just wondering how it went/is going with ASU? I applied to their intermedia and sculpture programs and had some pretty intimidating (but good? I hope?) interviews with about 5 members of each faculty, and am now waiting to hear. Have you interviewed or heard anything? Best of luck to you with your applications. 

Hey! Yeah, I interviewed with them last Saturday - it was also with about 5 people. I think we’re in the same boat with waiting now. Good luck to you as well! 

Just now, NoraEllie said:

I completely agree! It’s definitely all crap. There’s probably 1-2 successful artists from Yale that I’ve seen/ heard of who are making 6-7 digits income through their success and one of them happens to be the artist who created Obama’s portrait. Damien Hirst is worth billions and he didn’t go to Yale and neither did Jeff Koons. Don’t let a school determine your success because that comes down to you and your originality ONLY. Your artistic ability is what’s going to get you far not a degree. 

I think also regardless of the status that the school has, it is important to go somewhere that is a good fit for you in many other ways (location city/rural/suburban/etc., vibe of professors/students, level of criticality, emphasis on studio or theory, number of students to faculty, an understanding of the work you're making, I could keep going). If you only pick a school because the name carries the most weight, it does not mean that you are going to have a successful and productive experience. If it's not a good fit, you're just going to spiral and end up wasting a lot of time and money. Sometimes it's a lower key institution that gives you the freedom to be yourself that really allows you to kick ass, instead of a really intimidating program that scares students into making a certain kind of work. Everyone is different, and clicks better with different kinds of programs!

2 hours ago, Painfullywaiting said:

Did Cranbrook offer any type of scholarship or aid? I saw something about them offering like one full ride per dept. I have an interview coming up and I’m interested in their program, but the amount of debt I’m in from SAIC undergrad is unspeakable. I’m afraid I would not be able to afford it either. 

They did offer me a scholarship, but I would still have graduated with a ton of debt, so I decided it wasn’t feasible for me. Unless they have changed it, only certain departments get one full ride and then the next year it switches to the other departments. It’s definitely worth interviewing to see what you can get, and they may be willing to offer you more with your situation. Best of luck to you, it is a nice program!! 

14 minutes ago, katfude said:

I think also regardless of the status that the school has, it is important to go somewhere that is a good fit for you in many other ways (location city/rural/suburban/etc., vibe of professors/students, level of criticality, emphasis on studio or theory, number of students to faculty, an understanding of the work you're making, I could keep going). If you only pick a school because the name carries the most weight, it does not mean that you are going to have a successful and productive experience. If it's not a good fit, you're just going to spiral and end up wasting a lot of time and money. Sometimes it's a lower key institution that gives you the freedom to be yourself that really allows you to kick ass, instead of a really intimidating program that scares students into making a certain kind of work. Everyone is different, and clicks better with different kinds of programs!

I agree with you completely! 

My mom received her graduate degree in interior design from an Ivy League and she’s always told me that these schools need us more than we need them because our success comes through originality within our artwork which always gives the school an even better reputation as they carried the successful student as a candidate. 

48 minutes ago, Finn2021 said:

Congrats! I am sure it will be great ?What department was it?

Omg, painting... cherry on top: I confused the first name and last name of the faculty who contacted me. I don’t know what’s wrong to with me today... I really hope she doesn’t take it to heart ?

1 hour ago, Hphphphp said:

I thought they didn’t do interviews?