MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

14 minutes ago, San Diego Stone said:

I wish I would have looked at tuition cost at USC a while back. MAN, USC IS EXPENSIVE. I've been trying hard to scope out funding sources for an MFA in Fine Art, there, but I'm not finding much either on the net or on the phone. I'm going to bring this up at my interview next week and see what they've got going on. It's absolutely impossible for me to justify dropping 250 stacks on an art degree from anywhere, especially when I'm doing well already. Does anyone know anything about Graduate funding at USC that I'm not aware of???

I'm a Chicano artist and really want to work on a degree with 2 of these great professors in specific at USC that just seem perfect and on the same page with me, it's why I only applied there. I want to teach art and be a good influence for Chicano kids to look up to who have disadvantages like I did because of where we come from. But the cost, seriously. I can't go a quarter of a million dollars into debt to work a career that basically amounts to minimum wage in California. I'll die in debt!

I really hope that USC has a solution, otherwise I'm just going to have to apply at other schools in November.

Any ideas or good info? Please don't say Fastweb.

Meanwhile, enjoy this song. I really like it. It's both depressing and uplifting.

Yeah, same here. I really hope they offer assistantships and scholarships etc, as I lost my job due to COVID and overall I am just not ready and never will be to go into such huge debt for any kind of education. 

i also checked out your work, it is really inspiring, I wish I could see some of your public arts stuff in person when I travel to California (I have never been there). 

but yeah, I am keeping my fingers crossed that USC has some funding opportunities. 

1 hour ago, AidaLizard said:

Anyone know what the finacial aid is like at VCU for sculpture? 
I know tuition is roughly 49k for out of state grad students for the two years but anyone heard of what the financial aid offer was for a recent MFA candidate?

I'm curious because I have two other offers and I'm waiting to hear from VCU atm and I want to have an idea of what to expect.

If it means anything, I currently live in Richmond at the moment and anytime there is a VCU sculpture exhibition, they are my favorite. I look forward to MFA thesis exhibitions each year. The only thing I know, is that most students have their first year funded completely (allegedly) and that there is some funding the second year. I know some students in the Craft Department that got most of the school funded and some painting/print people that got the entire thing funded.

The school offers a lot of opportunity for students to travel (I believe the program requires a summer class or residency of some sort). One student I knew went to SAIC for the Abandon Practices Performance program in the summer and another spent the summer in Berlin.

Richmond is very DIY in the sense that a lot of art spaces are really reflective of the students and emerging artists running the city; but I personally think (and others I have talked to) that VCU sculpture is super impressive. 

Let me know if you have any other questions about Richmond, I can answer anything from the perspective of an artist that didn't go to VCU. 

17 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

If it means anything, I currently live in Richmond at the moment and anytime there is a VCU sculpture exhibition, they are my favorite. I look forward to MFA thesis exhibitions each year. The only thing I know, is that most students have their first year funded completely (allegedly) and that there is some funding the second year. I know some students in the Craft Department that got most of the school funded and some painting/print people that got the entire thing funded.

The school offers a lot of opportunity for students to travel (I believe the program requires a summer class or residency of some sort). One student I knew went to SAIC for the Abandon Practices Performance program in the summer and another spent the summer in Berlin.

Richmond is very DIY in the sense that a lot of art spaces are really reflective of the students and emerging artists running the city; but I personally think (and others I have talked to) that VCU sculpture is super impressive. 

Let me know if you have any other questions about Richmond, I can answer anything from the perspective of an artist that didn't go to VCU. 

How is ada gallery over there in Richmond btw?

15 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

How is ada gallery over there in Richmond btw?

ADA is a cool space. It's really small, maybe the size of a small 1 bedroom apartment. From what I know, the owner is a really nice and chill person. Most of the works there are paintings and wall sculptures (you won't see as much full scale installation or video art works). The space usually shows very vibrant artists that have more conceptual or abstract works. There's a few group shows that are curated by the owner usually in the summer or every once in a while in the winter that usually pulls from some artists in the Richmond area that don't have representation from the gallery. It's always a really fun space to pop into on opening nights. 

COVID has really taken a toll on how the space operates. I just looked on their site and I think they are restructuring their operations or something. 

Just now, slickjaketheruler said:

ADA is a cool space. It's really small, maybe the size of a small 1 bedroom apartment. From what I know, the owner is a really nice and chill person. Most of the works there are paintings and wall sculptures (you won't see as much full scale installation or video art works). The space usually shows very vibrant artists that have more conceptual or abstract works. There's a few group shows that are curated by the owner usually in the summer or every once in a while in the winter that usually pulls from some artists in the Richmond area that don't have representation from the gallery. It's always a really fun space to pop into on opening nights. 

COVID has really taken a toll on how the space operates. I just looked on their site and I think they are restructuring their operations or something. 

Nice, Jared Lindsay Clark is from our parts atm (northern UT) and he is a former VCU grad.

I think I asked this a week or two back but got no response- has anyone heard from the UCLA Digital Media Arts program? I never got anything. Expecting a no at this point but surprised it's taken so long

Just now, slickjaketheruler said:

Awesome! I've definitely seen one of his shows that included a bunch of the ceramic works. 

Yes, Utah has very talented artists but sadly enough our gallery system in SLC area doesn't support such innovative works :(... We got a huge art brain drain here :\.

1 hour ago, lizavetar96 said:

Yeah, same here. I really hope they offer assistantships and scholarships etc, as I lost my job due to COVID and overall I am just not ready and never will be to go into such huge debt for any kind of education. 

i also checked out your work, it is really inspiring, I wish I could see some of your public arts stuff in person when I travel to California (I have never been there). 

but yeah, I am keeping my fingers crossed that USC has some funding opportunities. 

I just spoke on the phone to a friend of mine that graduated from UCLA and Harvard, and she's got some good insight. I'll dm you my email if you want some interesting info, but I don't really want to put it on boards or a site. 

Thank you for saying that about my art. I enjoy yours as well. If you're coming to California, let me know when. I'm in between San Diego and Sacramento fairly often, and that's where most of my public art is. My studio is in Sacramento if you want to cruise by and see some metal working/welding when you're out here. I just bought a bunch of stainless steel I'm using for this public art commission. I'll be working on that for the next couple of months.

If you're going to be in san diego I could give you a tour of Chicano Park, under the Coronado Bay Bridge in Varrio Logan. I've got murals and bronzework there amongst all the other art and it is a beautiful Chicano/Latino neighborhood.

I don't do social media or Facestagram or Instabook or any of that. Just email me when you are coming out here.

Bring a camera and take some of your beautiful pictures here in the Golden State! I shoot with a Canon 5dx, 5dMK4, and a Pentax film 50mm. I got a 24 - 105 4.0 and 50mm 1.4 for the Canons. ?

Chicano Park!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=chicano+park&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZk_3A_pLvAhVaCjQIHRSVCJkQ_AUoAXoECCEQAw

The public art in Chicano Park is gorgeous. I would love to come and check it out after the pandemic madness subsides. It is very interesting how open to engagement your creative approach is. (I work with primarily Russian queer people so everything is very inwards, more behind closed doors type of the situation). 

6 minutes ago, San Diego Stone said:

I just spoke on the phone to a friend of mine that graduated from UCLA and Harvard, and she's got some good insight. I'll dm you my email if you want some interesting info, but I don't really want to put it on boards or a site. 

Thank you for saying that about my art. I enjoy yours as well. If you're coming to California, let me know when. I'm in between San Diego and Sacramento fairly often, and that's where most of my public art is. My studio is in Sacramento if you want to cruise by and see some metal working/welding when you're out here. I just bought a bunch of stainless steel I'm using for this public art commission. I'll be working on that for the next couple of months.

If you're going to be in san diego I could give you a tour of Chicano Park, under the Coronado Bay Bridge in Varrio Logan. I've got murals and bronzework there amongst all the other art and it is a beautiful Chicano/Latino neighborhood.

I don't do social media or Facestagram or Instabook or any of that. Just email me when you are coming out here.

Bring a camera and take some of your beautiful pictures here in the Golden State! I shoot with a Canon 5dx, 5dMK4, and a Pentax film 50mm. I got a 24 - 105 4.0 and 50mm 1.4 for the Canons. ?

Chicano Park!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=chicano+park&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZk_3A_pLvAhVaCjQIHRSVCJkQ_AUoAXoECCEQAw

The public art in Chicano Park is gorgeous. I would love to come and check it out after the pandemic madness subsides. It is very interesting how open to engagement your creative approach is. (I work with primarily Russian queer people so everything is very inwards, more behind closed doors type of the situation). 

3 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

It's the Chicano way. We are very open to everything. We like to be around each other and other people and laughing. Chicanos are very social and very funny, and we have the best FOOD! There are a LOT of Russian People here in Sacramento. The elderly russian ladies like to pick the wild berries by the rivers in the spring and make sweets out of them. One of my good buddies is Russian. He is from Siberia and his name is Vasili Savchenko. He's a really nice person, except he's kind of a nerd. ? But yeah. I love sharing Chicano Park and our culture with others. Let me know!

Hi! Wondering what people’s thoughts are or perceptions are of Goldsmiths. I just had my interview and was thrown because they really questioned why I applied to the program, suggesting it wasn’t a good fit because it’s an interdisciplinary program and I’m pretty devoted to one medium (painting). I thought I was a goner for sure but I got accepted this evening! Yay! 
Anyway, my perception of it has been very positive, but does anyone have any more experience with the program? Do you consider it prestigious? Is it worth the money? Is it supportive? Could a realist painter find a corner of love there? All opinions welcome! Thanks!

Edited by Scrambledmegs

7 hours ago, Scrambledmegs said:

Hi! Wondering what people’s thoughts are or perceptions are of Goldsmiths. I just had my interview and was thrown because they really questioned why I applied to the program, suggesting it wasn’t a good fit because it’s an interdisciplinary program and I’m pretty devoted to one medium (painting). I thought I was a goner for sure but I got accepted this evening! Yay! 
Anyway, my perception of it has been very positive, but does anyone have any more experience with the program? Do you consider it prestigious? Is it worth the money? Is it supportive? Could a realist painter find a corner of love there? All opinions welcome! Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance! I don't know  too much about Goldsmiths. But the faculty are on strike right now so it could potentially impact the program. But hopefully they have been transparent about that. https://www.artforum.com/news/protesting-goldsmiths-planned-restructuring-lecturers-halt-student-assessments-84955

Edited by theundoing

Has anyone heard back from UMass Amherst post interview? They contacted me last week about whether or not I would be eligible for a specific fellowship which is a good sign about funding, but I haven't heard anything since. I was told that BU and Tyler decisions will come out mid March, but UMass said beginning of March, so I'm on the edge of my seat. Doesn't help that by this time last year all of these schools had already sent out acceptances, too much anticipation ?

1 minute ago, Purplepinkey said:

Is bargaining for/to get more funding packages even a thing for MFA degrees? 

Yes! Especially if you have an offer from another school for better funding. My perception (from friends who have done it) is that it works better at schools where they give decent funding and you bargain for 2-3 thousand more per year. I've never heard of someone going from shit funding to great funding.

Edited by theundoing

On 2/22/2021 at 3:46 PM, hello this is said:

hi people... been lurking for a while but now, a question:

I got accepted to RISD painting w/ a very generous financial aid fellowship. the thing is- they are pressuring me to make a commitment by March 1, which seems very early. I still have interviews (including one w/ Yale) all this week until as late as Feb 27, so i don't exactly feel ready to commit without knowing all my options! Is this happening to any of y'all? arent there some rules or something about how long you can take to accept an offer?

yikes

Hey hello, what did you end up doing about RISD?  

1 hour ago, wambam said:

Hey hello, what did you end up doing about RISD?  

Hi! forgot to update: I spoke to the chair and she reassured me that I had until April 15 to make a commitment, although she also said "sooner is better so we can allocate fellowships" I haven't committed yet - waiting to hear from yale and carnegie mellon before making a final choice

Hey everyone, 

Has anyone received any financial packages from SVA? 
I applied and got accepted however I have not received any financial aid or scholarships, which is now completely shifting my decision of attending. 

28 minutes ago, CMCM said:

Hey everyone, 

Has anyone received any financial packages from SVA? 
I applied and got accepted however I have not received any financial aid or scholarships, which is now completely shifting my decision of attending. 

Hey, did you apply for a departmental scholarship? (In the handbook that the chair sent the accepted applicants there should be a link to it)