MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

12 minutes ago, kiddroy said:

Received interview invite from CMU. They are interviewing a total of 20 people this cycle.

Omg. For which track? Did they specify that that number of interviews is for that track only?

Edit: Nvm, CMU doesn't have tracks like other programs, my bad

Edited by dgrkrk

16 minutes ago, dgrkrk said:

Omg. For which track? Did they specify that that number of interviews is for that track only?

Edit: Nvm, CMU doesn't have tracks like other programs, my bad

Yeah they don't have specific tracks. Although they ask you to mention what category of work you do.

They sent out the list of interview times to choose from, and there are 20 slots. Each 30 minutes over two days (2/20-2-21)

1 minute ago, kiddroy said:

Yeah they don't have specific tracks. Although they ask you to mention what category of work you do.

They sent out the list of interview times to choose from, and there are 20 slots. Each 30 minutes over two days (2/20-2-21)

Thank you! It seems like I'm just waiting on my rejection then (since it doesn't make sense to send this kind of email to applicants at different times). Congratulations on making it to the interviews! I'm rooting for you!

45 minutes ago, dgrkrk said:

Thank you! It seems like I'm just waiting on my rejection then (since it doesn't make sense to send this kind of email to applicants at different times). Congratulations on making it to the interviews! I'm rooting for you!

If they haven't sent an outright rejection there could be a possibility that this is just the "first batch" of interviews. Keep up the hope. And thank you!

hey guys, just wondering about Yale. They say on their website that after they invite people to interview, applicants are required to send/bring original work to the school. I'm sure that sending original work might take quite a long while for people living outside of America. Do you guys know if you need to send everything before your interview date and is it something they need to look at during the whole interview process? 

Also good luck everyone!!! hopefully we hear back next week! 

1 hour ago, sunnydelightt said:

Did any of you guys name drop on your statements? Or mention big artists you’re friends with or being mentored by? Do you think if you do that it could help?

Name dropping in your essay sounds silly. If you have a contact that you think can help you gain admission, you should have them write your recommendation letter or contact the faculty. 

1 hour ago, guitarhero said:

hey guys, just wondering about Yale. They say on their website that after they invite people to interview, applicants are required to send/bring original work to the school. I'm sure that sending original work might take quite a long while for people living outside of America. Do you guys know if you need to send everything before your interview date and is it something they need to look at during the whole interview process? 

I have a friend who was at Yale who paid almost a thousand dollars shipping her work to New Haven from abroad to make it on time for her interview. It’s my understanding that because of Covid, that requirement has been waived.

4 hours ago, guitarhero said:

On the website for 2021 it says: 

Applicants in Painting/Printmaking should submit no more than four artworks and four drawings, studies, graphic works, or videos (these are not required to be pieces that were in your application portfolio). For 2021 applicants should prepare a PDF of these works and provide them to the admissions committee.

Applicants in Photography prepare a portfolio of no more than 20 un-matted photographic proofs which are no larger than 20 X 24 inches each.

Applicants in Sculpture prepare digital files that document the individual’s latest work as well as additional images representing earlier work. Additional documentation to the work in your preliminary portfolio may be brought to your interview (include with portfolio images on a thumb drive for your presentation).Please do not bring any objects for your presentation as the process of setting up takes away from interview time.

Edited by theundoing

5 minutes ago, papayalalala said:

Has anyone heard from Cornell, University of Chicago, Columbia, or UCLA?

probably won't hear from UCLA until end of the month - if anyone here gets accepted and shares that information. Rejection letters went out mid-March last year