2021 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

tzenst

Just got UChicago GGSB email, as well. Congrats to everyone on all of the exciting updates!!

• Penn State Bioinformatics and Genomics [interview request 12/7]
  • UPenn GCB [interview request 12/8]
  • Princeton QCB [interview request 12/11]
  • UChicago GGSB [interview request 12/16]
  • Harvard BBS 
  • Harvard Human Evolutionary Biology
  • UW Genome Sciences
  • UCLA Bioinformatics
  • UC Berkeley CCB
  • Stanford Biology
  • UCSC PBSE-BMEB
  • UCSF BMI
  • UNC GDBBS
  • Emory PBEE

5 minutes ago, sea_cactus said:

Just curious - did everyone reach out to professors individually beforehand? I know there are mixed opinions on doing this. 

For me, its mixed. I didn't reach out to every program and every professor I am interesed, especially some big professor with tons of fundings and a really big lab. I don't really want to bother them until I got an invite or admitted maybe. But if I am really interested what an AP is doing I will sent out an email detailing my experience and interest, as they are most likely looking for talent and less busy then the establisted professor. 

Just now, Sky_china said:

For me, its mixed. I didn't reach out to every program and every professor I am interesed, especially some big professor with tons of fundings and a really big lab. I don't really want to bother them until I got an invite or admitted maybe. But if I am really interested what an AP is doing I will sent out an email detailing my experience and interest, as they are most likely looking for talent and less busy then the establisted professor. 

That makes sense! 

4 hours ago, sea_cactus said:

Just curious - did everyone reach out to professors individually beforehand? I know there are mixed opinions on doing this. 

I am similar to the other response. I only sent out emails to the PIs that were especially interesting to me and with whom I wanted to speak. I did this mainly with the schools that were my top priority. The responses from PIs were nice and usually amounted to "Thanks for the interest. If you get an interview, we will be in touch." This made me decide it was best to wait until after interview invitations to send out more emails. It doesn't seem like reaching out the professors beforehand greatly impacts your application. It has the possibility of giving you a leg up, but there's no guarantee. It seems that experience in the field is normally prioritized, and reaching out to professors is ancillary unless otherwise stated by the program. If you didn't reach out to many professors, I wouldn't worry. Good luck, and I wish you the best! 

Duke CBB [Interview Invitation 12/16]

Yale CBB [Interview Invitation 12/17]

Princeton QCB [Interview Invitation 12/12]

MIT CSB

MIT Biology

University of Washington MCB

University of Colorado Denver Computational Biosciences

Georgia Institute of Technology- Bioinformatics

Just now, sea_cactus said:

UPenn GCB [interview invitation 12/8]

Dartmouth QCB [interview invitation 12/14]

Yale CBB [interview invitation 12/17]

Harvard BIG

Stanford BMI

MIT CSB

HST MEMP

Columbia BMI

Congratulations!

4 hours ago, Chip, Potato said:

Duke CBB [Interview Invitation 12/16]

Yale CBB [Interview Invitation 12/17]

Princeton QCB [Interview Invitation 12/12]

MIT CSB

MIT Biology

University of Washington MCB

University of Colorado Denver Computational Biosciences

Georgia Institute of Technology- Bioinformatics

Also I just saw you applied to Gatech. I applied last cycle and they seems to require you to contact a professor for you to be accepted. They seems to send out accptance and dont have much interview. ( its the bioeningeering and cs department) but you should ask the admin this time.

Just now, Sky_china said:

Also I just saw you applied to Gatech. I applied last cycle and they seems to require you to contact a professor for you to be accepted. They seems to send out accptance and dont have much interview. ( its the bioeningeering and cs department) but you should ask the admin this time.

Thanks! Yeah I saw that in their application information as something they prefer. They were the only school I applied to where they really encouraged contacting a professor. 

1 hour ago, yehet219 said:

Been a lurker, but so far I have gotten interviews from:

Penn GCB [12/8]

UCLA Bioinformatics [12/17]

Congratulation!! 
Are you a international student? I also applied to UCLA bioinformatics but didn’t receive an invitation. Quite nervous

Just now, just_fine said:

Congratulation!! 
Are you a international student? I also applied to UCLA bioinformatics but didn’t receive an invitation. Quite nervous

Thank you! And no, I'm a US Citizen - sorry I should have made that clear.