2021 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

tzenst

Oh no.. cheer up dude! you'll get more invites from other schools.

it's surprising they're only interviewing around 4 international students this year.. 

why are they reviewing international students so late? is it because they want to interview domestic students first and then internationals?

Just now, fullofhopes said:

Oh no.. cheer up dude! you'll get more invites from other schools.

it's surprising they're only interviewing around 4 international students this year.. 

why are they reviewing international students so late? is it because they want to interview domestic students first and then internationals?

Usually its becasue international students will not be fly out. but I think this year is a little different. but if you look through their past record the number of international invites has always been low for this program. 

3 minutes ago, Sky_china said:

Usually its becasue international students will not be fly out. but I think this year is a little different. but if you look through their past record the number of international invites has always been low for this program. 

got it.. so not just this year. 

oh well, it also seems like columbia dbmi has sent out invites already..

Just now, Little Rabbit said:

Thank you so much!  Hope we could meet each other there as classmates :P

I think Tri-I is a little too reachy for me, but I would through the roof if I got in there. UPenn GCB really hurts me badly today !!! 

Just now, Sky_china said:

I think Tri-I is a little too reachy for me, but I would through the roof if I got in there. UPenn GCB really hurts me badly today !!! 

Patpat... just look at the brighter side: so many programs haven't sent out their invitations!  

I did biomedical engineering with a CS minor undergrad and am interested in genetics & bioinformatics for grad school. So I applied to different types of programs at each school depending on their program options, faculty in each department, curriculums, and recommendations from my current advisors and POIs. Here's my current status. 

UPenn GCB [interview invitation 12/8]

Harvard BIG [interview invitation 12/23]

MIT CSB

MIT Biology

Stanford Genetics

JHU BME

I also got rejected from UW; I think it may be because its not comp bio specific that we are competing with a larger/ more diverse pool of applicants?

Also, I didn't get an email from Stanford BMI about anything related to the week of January 11; is that a bad sign? I don't mind if it is, just trying to understand :)

4 minutes ago, jek4zy said:

I did biomedical engineering with a CS minor undergrad and am interested in genetics & bioinformatics for grad school. So I applied to different types of programs at each school depending on their program options, faculty in each department, curriculums, and recommendations from my current advisors and POIs. Here's my current status. 

UPenn GCB [interview invitation 12/8]

Harvard BIG [interview invitation 12/23]

MIT CSB

MIT Biology

Stanford Genetics

JHU BME

congrats !

Just now, amory_blaine said:

Damn... Is Harvard out today already? Feeling a bit annoyed now...hopefully my recommenders didn't screw me over...

Yeah it looks like someone reported Harvard BIG ? 

I did not get an interview so far yet, but also no rejection. When I log into the portal I don't see any information either; I'm super nervous loll

Just now, Simaiinox said:

Yeah it looks like someone reported Harvard BIG ? 

I did not get an interview so far yet, but also no rejection. When I log into the portal I don't see any information either; I'm super nervous loll

Yeah I've been taking more Ls than I expected the last few days lol, let's hope they don't send them all at once...

I literally just heard back from Harvard BIG so I wouldn't stress yet, the email was also somewhat personalized since it was addressed to me specifically and had an attachment letter also addressed to me. 

Just now, jek4zy said:

I literally just heard back from Harvard BIG so I wouldn't stress yet, the email was also somewhat personalized since it was addressed to me specifically and had an attachment letter also addressed to me. 

Congratulations!!! I also really appreciate that information, thank you for letting us know :)

I received an interview invite from BIG over an hour ago. Looks like they're slowly sending out invitations.

Does anyone know what % of applicants are invited to interview? And how many are accepted from the interview list?

Edited by unstoppab