2021 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

tzenst

1 hour ago, anavailablename said:

Just received an interview invitation from USC CBB and rejected by UCLA Genetics & Genomics (thought it couldn't be that competitive as bioinfo, but, yeah...)

Has anyone heard from NYU Grossman yet?

Received USC CBB interview invitation either, but got rejection of UW BHI

On 1/13/2021 at 2:35 AM, Crucial BBQ said:

I would guess the average is around 3.4.  In the U.S., the standard cut-off is 3.0 but if you have a sub 3.0 GPA you can offset with other experiences, LORs, SOP, etc.  A good number of programs will also admit you on the condition that you make up any deficiencies while in your first year or so.  

Some programs will automatically consider you for both.  That is, if you do not meet the requirements for the Ph.D. program you will be offered a spot in their M.S. program if you qualify for that.  I am pretty sure that all programs will allow you to apply to both (in reality, it is the online application system that allows it) and happily take your money, however, it is not a good idea as your reasons for a Ph.D. are (i.e., should be) different than for wanting an MS degree and if you apply to both you will come off as being unsure of a Ph.D.  In this case, it is best to apply to MS programs only.  

Hello! thank you for the explanation that was helpful! as u said  if I apply to both I will come off as being unsure of a Ph.D . why do u think so? or isnot it better to do that instead of paying money solery on masters?

On 1/13/2021 at 12:43 AM, Sky_china said:

I kinda want to say also dont apply all to top school. The population post on here is very screwed.. a lot of they have near prefect gpa with publication... aim a little lower and you will have much better mental health and options in application season

hello, I honestly dont care how prestigious university is , my goal could only be study and gain as much knowledge as I can , for so I dont know what universities are good in that field besides ivy legaue ones, do u have any suggeestions how can I search for them ? 

thank you!!

37 minutes ago, keke_kk said:

hello, I honestly dont care how prestigious university is , my goal could only be study and gain as much knowledge as I can , for so I dont know what universities are good in that field besides ivy legaue ones, do u have any suggeestions how can I search for them ? 

thank you!!

when I say top school I mean top school in the field. the list of where people are apply the most should give you a good idea of the program.. 

at the mean time if you want good education in your interested field what you can do is to go through faculty profile, search for prominent bioinformatics paper and find where the faculties is working. some of them are working in a less competitive program but have a lot of funding and produce good papers 

Anyone heard anything from MIT CSB or MIT Bio yet? It seemed like someone had posted on the results page they had gotten an interview to MIT Bio. Just wasn't sure if anyone else had heard anything.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, keke_kk said:

Hello! thank you for the explanation that was helpful! as u said  if I apply to both I will come off as being unsure of a Ph.D . why do u think so? or isnot it better to do that instead of paying money solery on masters?

Because you'll come across as being unsure of yourself and your abilities, not fully understanding your potential career, or desperate.  While it may seem like you are upping your chances, the reality is you may be hurting your chances if the applications are read by the same people.  An MS track and a Ph.D. track are totally different from each other and attract different types of students.  At this stage in the game you are expected to know which type you are.  

If you really want to go this route, I suggest contacting the programs and asking them.  

Some MS programs are funded (likely with working as an RA), and there are certainly scholarships available.  If it is worth paying out-of-pocket for is something that only you can answer.  

How does CMU CPCB admission work? On the result page I saw plenty people are admitted both with/without an interview... Is it a Pitts vs CMU difference? Thanks in advance!

Duke CBB [Interview Invitation 12/16]

Yale CBB [Interview Invitation 12/17]

Princeton QCB [Interview Invitation 12/12]

MIT CSB [Formally Rejected]

MIT Biology [Assume rejected]

University of Washington MCB [Interview Invitation 12/21]

University of Colorado Denver Computational Biosciences [Interview Invitation 12/22]

Georgia Institute of Technology- Bioinformatics [have not heard]

Heard back from MIT CSB and was rejected. I would assume I am also rejected by MIT Bio because I haven't received an interview request yet. Oh well - no worries. It was my farthest reach and I am ecstatic with my current options regardless ?. Good luck to everyone else who applied to MIT!

3 minutes ago, Chip, Potato said:

Heard back from MIT CSB and was rejected. I would assume I am also rejected by MIT Bio because I haven't received an interview request yet. Oh well - no worries. It was my farthest reach and I am ecstatic with my current options regardless ?. Good luck to everyone else who applied to MIT!

Same here! CSB was my top choice and I was also rejected. Still, there's so much else to look forward to -- good luck, and congratulations to anyone who made it.

6 minutes ago, Chip, Potato said:

In the same boat as well. Congrats and good luck to everyone who was invited! 

34 minutes ago, Chip, Potato said:

Same here. Congrats and good luck to everyone who was invited as well!

Was just invited to interview at the MIT/Harvard HST program! Super hyped because this is my top program, but also pretty intimidated because the interview session is 2.5 hours long and the times overlap with BIG's interviews. Not really sure how to prepare.

Edited by unstoppab

3 hours ago, unstoppab said:

Was just invited to interview at the MIT/Harvard HST program! Super hyped because this is my top program, but also pretty intimidated because the interview session is 2.5 hours long and the times overlap with BIG's interviews. Not really sure how to prepare.

That is a big achievement but also a lot of pressure. especially these program are both very competitive and so different memp and big

On 1/15/2021 at 3:55 PM, Evoble said:

How does CMU CPCB admission work? On the result page I saw plenty people are admitted both with/without an interview... Is it a Pitts vs CMU difference? Thanks in advance!

In an info session, they said that Pitt requires interviews (mostly as a formality) while CMU doesn't

28 minutes ago, cjarm97 said:

In an info session, they said that Pitt requires interviews (mostly as a formality) while CMU doesn't

Interesting... Thanks for the information!!

Anyone interviewing with UCLA Bioinformatics heard anything about an official interview schedule yet? The weekend is coming up, but I haven't gotten any emails.