2021 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

tzenst

Has anyone who received an interview invite for UCSD BISB & accepted it heard back about scheduling? I had a conflict on the requested date so I asked to schedule a different day, but it's been 10 days and I haven't heard back from them..  

Also, has anyone heard from UC Berkeley Comp Bio (CCB) yet? 

Edited by chocolate_waffle

34 minutes ago, chocolate_waffle said:

Has anyone who received an interview invite for UCSD BISB & accepted it heard back about scheduling? I had a conflict on the requested date so I asked to schedule a different day, but it's been 10 days and I haven't heard back from them..  

Same here, I also have a conflict but have not heard back. I followed up yesterday and the person was still out of the office. I haven't heard back from Berkeley yet either. 

1 hour ago, chocolate_waffle said:

I have seen some UCB Comp Bio posts on the results section, tho. But not sure if they're done sending out invites. 

Edited by fullofhopes

2 hours ago, chocolate_waffle said:

I just got a call from a POI at Berkeley letting me know I got an interview - he said email invitations should be coming out soon!

2 minutes ago, Simaiinox said:

Based on UCSF's email to all interviewing applicants, there are 60 people invited to interviews. Does anyone know if that's high compared to other schools, or is this typical? 

I only know that WUSTL interviews 24 people this year (12 this month, 12 next month), at least for now. 60 is a pretty large number I think. 

16 minutes ago, Simaiinox said:

Based on UCSF's email to all interviewing applicants, there are 60 people invited to interviews. Does anyone know if that's high compared to other schools, or is this typical? 

I was wondering the same thing. I think it might be typical based on: https://graduate.ucsf.edu/program-stats-bmi. But their admission data is a combination of BMI and Biophysics, so that's worth noting. 

Just now, kaffeinatedkat said:

I was wondering the same thing. I think it might be typical based on: https://graduate.ucsf.edu/program-stats-bmi. But their admission data is a combination of BMI and Biophysics, so that's worth noting. 

I was just going to say. But I would add that if you go to this link you can also see the 2020 stats: https://graduate.ucsf.edu/program-statistics

If you change the program selection to BMI from the dropdown menu, it looks like they admitted 77 applications to BMI last year alone, so maybe 60 interviewees isn't that bad...

2 hours ago, aventus said:

I was just going to say. But I would add that if you go to this link you can also see the 2020 stats: https://graduate.ucsf.edu/program-statistics

If you change the program selection to BMI from the dropdown menu, it looks like they admitted 77 applications to BMI last year alone, so maybe 60 interviewees isn't that bad...

Nice find -- although as others have noted, the admissions numbers for BMI and Biophysics are combined (if you select Biophysics from the dropdown, the admissions numbers don't change).

It looks like both programs are roughly the same size; if it's a 50-50 split, then that's ~35 offers per program, with ~10 people enrolling in each. If the numbers are similar this year, one might guess that ~60% of BMI interviewees will get an offer. That seems reasonable based on what I've (vaguely) heard about other schools.

Edited by evovae

4 hours ago, Sky_china said:

Did anyone get an confirmation from the USC admin for interview ? I have replied back for interview but she hasn't opened email even after the deadline... 

I got their reply 1 hour ago. They are still working on the schedule and hopefully an itinerary will be sent out by the end of this week or Monday at the least.

1 hour ago, emglass said:

Just got an interview invite from a Pofessor with the Carnegie Mellon/ Pitt joint program in computational biology! Very exciting. Now still waiting to hear from two schools.....

Congrats!! BTW did you apply through Pittsburgh? It seems that cmu usually would not send out interviews... 

10 minutes ago, InferenceII said:

Congrats!! BTW did you apply through Pittsburgh? It seems that cmu usually would not send out interviews... 

I applied through the CMU computer science application portal. Its supposedly a short 30 minute interview with a POI, but got an official email from the CPCB coordinator to set up the interview.

On 1/21/2021 at 12:35 AM, emglass said:

I applied through the CMU computer science application portal. Its supposedly a short 30 minute interview with a POI, but got an official email from the CPCB coordinator to set up the interview.

Cong! Could you tell me which school your interviewee affiliates, UPitt or CMU?