2021 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

tzenst

On 1/27/2021 at 7:23 PM, InferenceII said:

Just had an interview with UCLA medical informatics. Feeling terrible right now.

I was told there were only two professors interested in my application so I had to perform well. (Seems like other people might have multiple interviews, meeting 4 - 5 professors in total). But I guess I did not.

It's actually my second time interviewing with this program. Have no idea how the bar become so high this year.

Don't feel terrible! I believe you did well, and they saw you as a strong fit both times in order to invite you for an interview!

I only had two interviews too :( Do you happen to know how long before we hear back with a final decision? 

19 minutes ago, Gir2214 said:

Don't feel terrible! I believe you did well, and they saw you as a strong fit both times in order to invite you for an interview!

I only had two interviews too :( Do you happen to know how long before we hear back with a final decision? 

I know last year my interview was in late January and they told me the decision would be sent out around mid-Feb.

However, I didn't hear about anything until March 25th I was told all of the offers have been accepted and that your application was officially denied by the appropriate admissions committee. (It was sent to both Bioinformatics and Medical Informatics applicants).

3 minutes ago, emglass said:

Anyone else get invited to the CMU/Pitt CPCB virtual open house (Feb 19-20) yesterday? Is this an acceptance or........

I got an acceptance letter around 25th January, and it included a registration form for the Open House events.

Wasn't that the case for you?

1 hour ago, emglass said:

Anyone else get invited to the CMU/Pitt CPCB virtual open house (Feb 19-20) yesterday? Is this an acceptance or........

I also got the offer in January! I believe they (the CMU part of the program) invite people after admitting; but you have until Apr.15th to decide whether to accept the offer.

Is anyone aware of the post-interview acceptance rate of UCLA Bioinformatics? I think they might send out decisions in 1-2 weeks and I'm so nervous ?

28 minutes ago, Kanoi said:

Is anyone aware of the post-interview acceptance rate of UCLA Bioinformatics? I think they might send out decisions in 1-2 weeks and I'm so nervous ?

you can take a look at this page: https://bioscience.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/NGLS-Admissions-Summary_2017-2020.pdf 

seems like bioinformatics program accepts 50~80% of the interviewees.

Just now, fullofhopes said:

you can take a look at this page: https://bioscience.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/NGLS-Admissions-Summary_2017-2020.pdf 

seems like bioinformatics program accepts 50~80% of the interviewees.

Thank you so much for this!

7 hours ago, unstoppab said:

I was just accepted to the HST program at MIT/Harvard!! I can't believe it. Still part of me thinks they made a mistake and accidentally admitted me. 

Woo! Congrats! Some might say you're... unstoppab...

On 2/13/2021 at 3:09 PM, unstoppab said:

I was just accepted to the HST program at MIT/Harvard!! I can't believe it. Still part of me thinks they made a mistake and accidentally admitted me. 

Would you mind sharing what your stats / aspects of your application were? Either here or in PM 

On 2/8/2021 at 6:49 PM, anavailablename said:

Anyone heard back from USC after the interview? Did you reach out to your POI?

One of my interviewers emailed me last Tuesday, so took about a week.

22 hours ago, sea_cactus said:

Would you mind sharing what your stats / aspects of your application were? Either here or in PM 

4.0 gpa with 10 grad level classes mostly in CS/AI, 1 first author pub on the way, very solid LORs from research advisors, decent essays (not amazing but safe and solid), 4 years research experience, goldwater scholarship, 2 national conference presentations, and a couple of awards from my school for research+grades.